PDA

View Full Version : Multi-faceted/Dimentional color.. without too much damage?

angelfell
October 20th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Since my hair is thin (or, the strands thick, I just don't have a whole lot of them), and also very dark naturally (and colored, I dye it pretty dark as well), it always looks very.. flat, and with no volume. Which it is, naturally. But I've discovered that color that is dimentional and multi-faceted (which means, in my experience, varying in shades to create depth), the hair doesn't look so flat! So now, I want depth, and multi shades, etc.

However, since my hair is pretty dark.. that would mean bleach in some form, right? Or some harsh chemical to lighten highlights into my hair. If I were to get it done, I'd want it to be a medium-dark brown with shades varying 1-2 shades lighter, probably not even that much.. just enough to be evidently.. multi-faceted and whatnot. Now, I haven't had any streaks or highlights for years so I can't really remember how damaging it will be. Any guesstimates on what I'd be facing?

Dreams_in_Pink
October 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Yes, you'll probably need some bleach. You can try getting a few highlights here and there, so that you wouldn't damage the whole hair.

ktani suggested using honey to break up the dark color...maybe you can try that?

Also, you can use clip-in extensions that come in pretty colors :) Unnatural colors look really awesome on black!

aenflex
October 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Yup bleach for the highlights and maybe even for the lowlights, depending on the colour you choose. Or you can take the Henna/Indigo route.
Bleach is bleach. My hair hates it, I have to leave it on for a long, long time in order to get the lift that I want, but then again, I'm not a pro. But I think it's safe to say it's gonna damage your hair, but it's not the end of the world. Plenty of people have thier high/low-lights done.

angelfell
October 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Oh poo :(. But will the damage be significant if I only want to lighten it to say.. a shade lighter than what my hair is? Is that possible, or does bleach only come in "one color" (that being totally stripped and white or whatever)? I've never had significant bleaching done so I don't know how it worls :p.

Harriet
October 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I didn't realise how multi tonal my hair was until I dyed it! Perhaps if you grow out your dye you'll discover the multi dimensions you desire?

kwaniesiam
October 20th, 2010, 01:00 PM
To achieve only a few shades lighter the bleach damage will be minimal. Go with the pros on this one though, you can make a royal mess out of your hair when working with bleach and small sections if you aren't experienced.

You may even be able to get away with a high lift color instead of a straight bleach. Call some local salons or go in for a consultation and see what your options are. You'll be surprised how a few well placed foils around your face and crown will break up the color while leaving the majority of your hair untouched.

Maddy25
October 20th, 2010, 01:00 PM
In the summer, does your natural hair lighten up on the top layers? Natural hair is great for that as my hair remains a dark blonde underneath and very light on top, but I've had dyed hair do close to the same because the sun bleaches just the canopy. Even though it would take a bit of bleach, some highlights in a lighter brown on might look nice, leaving the underneath of your hair dark.

SimplyViki
October 20th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I didn't realise how multi tonal my hair was until I dyed it! Perhaps if you grow out your dye you'll discover the multi dimensions you desire?
This exactly! I started growing out my dye because I missed the many natural tones my hair had all on its own.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 20th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I think this is a salon-specific topic :) for best results, i second that you should consult a hairdresser. (preferably a colorist)

You can also try to let your dye fade. I stripped most of my black with head & shoulders, now it's no longer black only (it also made some brown steaks!)

lilalong
October 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM
What's your natural color?

Could you maybe grow that out and then use henna+indigo?

BrightEyes7
October 20th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Bleach only has one color as far as I know. Just how long you leave it on is what makes the difference.

If you want highlights get it done by a pro as mentioned above. At-home-highlights never look natural.

I don't like highlights just because I don't like the maintenance. What I use is Nice N' Easy at home hair color. It is a perm. color but I don't think it's too bad. It really gives me depth and dimention to my color without highlights. It says that it has multiple complimentary shades mixed into one dye that plays up your natural highlights, or something like that. I think it looks a lot more natural. I also think my hair is softer after I use it but I'm sure it does cause SOME damage.

But alas, your hair is knocking on black's door so I'm not sure if you hair is too dark to see a difference.

angelfell
October 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM
But alas, your hair is knocking on black's door so I'm not sure if you hair is too dark to see a difference.

Heh, not really anymore :p that was semi-permanent. My natural hair color is a dark brown, however. So not too far off.

I don't know if I have the patience to grow my natural color out. But, then again, if I don't dye my hair for a few months it should be close to my natural color.. the only dyes I've used in the last few years have been anything but permanent and so they shouldn't have stuck on too much right?

Yes, if I do anything I will see a professional.. I can do all-over color by myself fine but I don't want to chance something that meticulous :x.