PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what's up with my hair lately

juliaxena
October 20th, 2010, 11:25 AM
But I can't get it as soft as I used to. Ok, maybe I used to get it too soft, almost mushy in a way, but I liked that. Now it just won't take the conditioner that always worked, it won't absorb it in and it feels coarser. Apart from starting to use herbal temporary color from time to time (not henna, jst something pretty natural), I have not changed my routine.

Maybe my hair:
-is either really damaged and it takes insane amounts of time to moisturise it-the conditioner DOES work if I leave it on overnight

BUT I get no breakage or split ends

-somehow got better which is not really possible in this world. It has not been overabused, the dyes I used on it in the past were gentle but still...

The funny thing is, even my non treated roots feel the same way as my lenght has felt lately. SO maybe I'm just feeling my "real" hair?

jenwexler
October 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
what kind of conditioner are you using?? oh and i have thick hair that used to feel coarse....vitamins are working for me so far.

breezefaerie
October 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Have you done any protein treatments lately?

juliaxena
October 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I haven't done protein treatments, the temporary dye contains small amount of protein but so does my conditioner and I don't think it's what my hair could not handle.

My conditioner is really rich but up until now nothing else worked for my hair. It has cones but my hair likes cones.

breezefaerie
October 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM
You might consider doing a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing treatment. Make sure you follow the protein with something!

SpinDance
October 20th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Maybe clarify? My hair used to like cones, but these days it doesn't. I use oils and I'm guessing that the oils and cones are doing similar things. For me, personally, I am getting much better results with oils in tiny amounts (except for deep treatments) and no cones.

juliaxena
October 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I have clarified three washes in a row. I don't notice any change, during or after clarification.

juliaxena
October 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Perhaps I should also add thet the temporary dye is becoming not so temporary anymore. My hair has darkened a couple of shades and it's not washing off (which is not a problem). Could it be dye building up?

pepperminttea
October 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I'd guess that clarifying three times in a row might well have exacerbated the problem. Try a deep moisture treatment like an SMT?

juliaxena
October 20th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Deep tretment works but I don't have time to do it every time. I don't think clarifying worsened the problem though. The weather got really cold..that's another thing that popped into my mind.

pepperminttea
October 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
HintofMint had some success with using SMT as a conditioner (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51586), just leaving it on as long as you would conditioner while you finish up other showerly duties. That might be a quicker alternative to a DT? :)

BrightEyes7
October 20th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I too was going to suggest SMT.

I don't think the clarifying three washes in a row will help with your dryness... If anything it'd probably make it worse.

juliaxena
October 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Agreed, but it didn't make it worse because I did the overnight treatments after.

I might try the quick SMT thingy.

little_cherry
October 20th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have clarified three washes in a row. I don't notice any change, during or after clarification.
Did you do a deep condition after clarifying?
I clarify, protein and then DT with SMT and oil my hair while it is still damp after rinsing out the SMT. I Do this maybe once a month.

Roscata
October 20th, 2010, 01:26 PM
A vinegar rinse could help, I do a 5% vinegar - 95% filtered water soak, I leave it on for 5 minutes then rinse it out. You can always use a higher concentration but I would personally never go more than 30/70.

Good luck! :D

jojo
October 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM
It may be dye build up or could be due to the protein in the dye which has caused it to feel different. Your hair sounds like it needs more moisture to either a SMT or a DC with a good moisture conditioner; tigi moisture maniac is a good one!