PDA

View Full Version : Losing sleep over a trim....ARGH!

Nae
October 20th, 2010, 03:58 AM
So I went to my well-trusted hair dresser yesterday. (Same one I have had for years.) I asked for the smallest trim ever, since I am still trying to get rid of layers. Everything was going fine, she was even joking that the trim was so small she wouldn't even have to sweep the floor. Everything looks good and I left really happy.

The next day I go to put my hair into my normal peacock twist and HORROR! :( I have a small bit of hair in the front that only goes to my nose!!!! At first I was like, "Well, that is weird, why is my updo so messy looking today?" And then I realized this must be some sort of face framing thing. ARGH!! I am so mad!

I woke up twice last night and couldn't get back to sleep thinking about this tiny bit of hair, I am up now because I can't sleep thinking about it. Woke at 4:50, grrrrrrr. Let me say that I may be a little obsessive about this, it is NOT a lot of hair. We are talking half the thickness of a pencil at the very most, but it is driving me crazy! I feel like I have just been put back a year in my growing. :(

On some level, I know I am being a little nuts about this. Right now I am only at about 20 inches so it isn't like she cut this into waist length hair or anything. Eventually I do want a U-shaped hemline and really this doesn't put me off from that too much but it won't go into my updo.:wail:

I also am trying to think of a way to tell her not to do that next time that won't sound rabidly insane and accusatory. She has never done something like that before. I figure I wasn't really specific enough because things have always been great. Let me specify that I have had her doing my hair for at least 20 years and she is a great friend of the family.

In my head right now I can't come up with a reasonable way to broach it that doesn't entail me foaming at the mouth and yelling, "This bit in front is abso-blanking-lutely intolerable! :rant:I can't put this in an updo because YOU cut it so short!! You nitwit!:steam It is going to take me years to grow this out!!!!":angry:

Unfortunately she is really a good friend and I feel like I need a more measured way to approach the problem, when I go back......eventually, probably 6 months from now. *sighs*

Astarte_1980
October 20th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Maybe it is a solution when you trim your hair by yourself. Hairdressers always cut moren than they say. It is an universal phenomenem.

Nae
October 20th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I would try Feye's self trim method but I think my hair is still way too short for that.

Tomato
October 20th, 2010, 04:11 AM
How "small" (or big??) is this bit actually?
How much did your hair dresser cut away from the rest of the hair?
I am asking this for a better understanding of your situation.

Kindest regards,
T.

Nae
October 20th, 2010, 04:13 AM
It is right in the front, it hits right at my nose level and is probably no thicker than half the width of a pencil. It seems to be angled into my length, the shortest bits being the ones that escape my updos.

XcaliburGirl
October 20th, 2010, 04:20 AM
That's too bad, Nae. Don't worry, it will blend in eventually.

Maybe it was an accident? It seems like too small an amount of hair to be face framing layers.

I'd say, don't confront her about it now, since there's nothing she could do that wouldn't involve more cutting. Then, next time you get a trim, be very clear that you want it all one length and as long as possible. Maybe you could mention "last time you cut some hair too short in the front", show it too her, and say you don't want it touched.

skaempfer
October 20th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Not sure. I'm kind of tending toward the opposite. I'd do it now, before it grows out. Just be blunt. I mean, turn things around. If you were in her place, and she were in yours, wouldn't you want to find out *now*? As you say, the damage is in a way minimal, so if you want to stay friends and especially if you want to go back to her for more trims, it's better to explain to her now exactly what you do and don't want and what you are trying to accomplish.

But from the sound of it, it sounds more like a slip of the scissors. Which IMO also needs to be addressed.

Just my two bits. Good luck, Nae!

Gabriel
October 20th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Aw that sucks but try not to work yourself up about it too much.

As soon as it hits about chin level you should be able to pull it back with no trouble into your updos. Did you have old fringe there or some breakage or new growth coming in that she felt needed to be blended or something? That is a little weird of her to do...

I definitely agree, don't approach her now, wait till you've settled down a bit and then the next trim time be clear that you need to be able to pull all your hair back or alternately show her where you want your layers to start.

Nae
October 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! It seems a little better right now, I am pretty sure she slathered it in cones so it was really slippy. I went upstairs after posting my sad story and used my shampoo bars and it is feeling a little more back to normal now. I am still not very happy though. Darn it all anyways.

surfguy87
October 20th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Things could be a hell of alot worse. Hold the hair you have and spend half and hour imagining what it would be like if you didn't have it. Maybe it'll make you appreciate what you got.

Trim your own hair seems to be the best advice for people growing out their hair.

spidermom
October 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
A stylist has to get in front of you to do face-framing bits. I don't think you could miss that. I'd ask her about that one short strand.

I noticed one day that I had a thin cluster of hairs that were about 6 inches long and remembered a time I had been squatting down in the kitchen playing with the puppy and tore out some hairs that had gotten caught in a cabinet hinge when I stood up. I don't know how I failed to notice the grow-back before it got as long as 6 inches, but I had. Maybe you've got something like that going on.

Unofficial_Rose
October 20th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I would try Feye's self trim method but I think my hair is still way too short for that.

Hi Nae. :waving: My hair's a little shorter than yours and I use Feye's self trim. It can be done!

UltraBella
October 20th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hmmm, I agree with Spidermom, if she was doing face framing layers you would have known it and she would have been in front of you.
I am sorry you are frustrated ! Can you pull them back and secure it with a concealed bobby pin ? That works miracles for my daughter's shortest bits she is growing out.

Nae
October 20th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Things could be a hell of alot worse. Hold the hair you have and spend half and hour imagining what it would be like if you didn't have it. Maybe it'll make you appreciate what you got.

Trim your own hair seems to be the best advice for people growing out their hair.

Ummmm.......thanks. :confused: I DO appreciate what I have. I am sorry that you had a bad trim recently but no need to be so callous about my incident.

I was pretty distraught since I have been working on no layers for 2 years now. You will have to forgive me for not having as bad an experience as you did and still having the audacity to want to share my own issue with my friends. :rolleyes: I realize I may be overreacting, which I completely admitted. I was just looking for a little support and some ideas of how to broach this with my hair dresser.

Spidermom, since this occured right at the same time as the trim I can't imagine what could have happened but you could be right. I hadn't thought about it that way. I am more and more thinking this is some sort of anomally.

Unofficial_Rose, Hey thanks!! I didn't realize that I could dothat at such a short length! I will definately give it a shot next time!! :)