PDA

View Full Version : Terminal lengths?

Neneka
October 20th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I have been thinking about my terminal length. I am sure that I can grow it to waist but my final goal... tailbone or hip... Will I ever reach that?! Has anyone noticed that your hair doesn't grow beyond waist even if it is in good condition. I don't use heat. I dye it with henna now. Growth is average or maybe a bit less but it is growing and my ends look good. My hair is now longer than ever (BSL soon). I am very interested especially about another Finns or Scandinavians with long hair. Do you have THIS hairtype we usually have here (usually it comes with mousy colour and is not particularly strong) and is it growing long? Will I some day have tailbone length hair?

aisling
October 20th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I think it's way too early for you to worry about how long your hair can grow. It looks fine and thick in your little avatar as far as I can see. I don't think you have anything to worry about really, take good care of your hair and have fun while growing it.

For the second part of your question, well, check out my location, stats and siggy picture and I think you have an answer, I can add that I've been maintaining for a year, year and a half around tailbone length, my hair would be longer if I wanted to. The layers are intentional btw.

Astarte_1980
October 20th, 2010, 03:58 AM
People always say that hair has a terminal length. At the moment I have almost classic. Who knows his terminal length? Almost nobody. My hairdresser always said that if you have split ends, that your hair will nog grow longer. That is not true. There is only 1 soluten wait and wait be patience.

EverydayMiracle
October 20th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I had thought that I was reaching terminal length at my waist. My growth slowed dramatically and considering that I averaged 1.3 inches a month over a six month period, this was fairly distressing. Then I noticed something: My fingernails also aren't growing particularly fast, nor is my body hair. Now granted, I had been taking B-Vitamins and I stopped (because they were making me tired?). However, this "plateau" seems to be partially due to hormone fluctuations, not to me reaching my terminal length.

I'm going to keep going until my hair stops growing, or it reaches my knees. My goal is knees with a thick hemline (I know this will take a lot of time, so I'm not worried about it). Once I reach terminal, I will continue to baby my hair, and we'll see what comes out of it :)

Brenda
October 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
My hair seems to have reached terminal just slightly beyond classic length...atleast, all of the shed hairs I'm seeing have an identifyable bulb at one end. I've been under a lot of stress what with pursuing a MA, working full-time and dealing with a little one, so I haven't been very nice to my hair over the past 3 years. I've resolved to be more protective of my hair (i.e. wear is up more to protect it, oil it more often, etc), so we'll see if that helps me to get past my current length.

Darya
October 20th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I am wondering if I haven't reached my terminal length (or close to it) as well. I have gotten maybe 3 inches of growth in the last year and am at just past knee length with most of my hair a bit above my knee. It is either that or I'm getting too much breakage but it doesn't seem so.

Kelli Kat
October 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm at my terminal length with BSL. Never in my life my hair has ever grown longer than it is now. In the past when I've reached this length I've ended up cutting it short when it didn't get longer. Now I've accepted this is as long its going to get and will leave it at that.

Mariah!!
October 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM
My mom has always had hair just past shoulder. She has naturally curly hair (but more wavy as she gets older) and it is very fine, and not that thick. I have never seen ANY pics of her even as a child or teen with hair shorter than a couple inches past chin to an inch or two (maybe 3) past shoulder. It has ALWAYS been the same length. Her hair is always pretty healthy since she mostly air dries it, and never dies or perms it or anything. But she says that it won't grow any more than that. I believe her. I think this is her terminal length. Even though it is short (ish). But I think it could get to BSL if she didn't cut it every couple months.

spidermom
October 20th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I've seen hair that grew no longer than somewhere between APL and BSL in 8 years. It wasn't in bad condition, either. This was thick, coarse, American Indian hair. Who would have thought it?

I've also seen thin, fine hair somewhere around calf length. So who knows? Grow and find out.

Jezerellica
October 20th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Oh man...so I may never reach my goal of knee length. *cries* I have a couple things going for me. I'm very short, and have always had long hair even with splits it still grew. I wonder if age has an average where it just slows. I guess we just must accept what we have and be satisfied with that. ;)

McFearless
October 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Your hair will grow to your bum, don't worry.Terminal lengths are more about how many years a hair will grow for. You can maximize your growth with a good diet(lots of protein) and exercise. Stress is the ultimate hair killer

Immera
October 20th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I know I am new here, but not to long hair. I have not really cut my hair since 1996 and it stays just above waist length. I believe that is my terminal length. It has been that length for years. I don't think we all have the genetics to grow "bum" length hair.

Igor
October 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I don’t exactly have the typical Scandinavian hair, but I have to say that the only people I ever encountered that couldn’t grow past BSL “no matter what they tried” were people that severely abused their hair

ddiana1979
October 20th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Stress is definitely a hair killer. While finishing up my Ph.D., the amount of hair I found in the shower drain after each washing was absolutely *horrifying*. I thought I had some sort of extreme hormone imbalance or even alopecia. I cut my washing down to three times a week, and brushed it as minimally as possible. I didn't even towel dry, I was so afraid more hair would fall out.

So I imagine if you had some sort of major stressor that was fairly constant over a long period of time, you could hit terminal somewhere around BSL or even shorter. Incidentally, my hair was SL the day of my public defense, and is now APL, nearly 9 months to the day later. Roughly 6" of growth (didn't measure then, so kind of guesstimating from pictures & measuring from where it looked like it was then). I've got lots of new growth though, so thankfully, I think I'm mostly over my major shedding disaster.

HairColoredHair
October 20th, 2010, 09:43 PM
My hair always seemed to stop at tailbone until I started keeping it up all the time... now it's past knee.

Neneka
October 20th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hmm... It just seems to be impossible since I don't see tailbone length hair very often and people are saying that this hairtype will not grow long or if it does, it doesn't look good. Maybe it's just their hair envy because usually healthy long hair is not ugly and I can't imagine how it could be. Well, they also claim that hair will grow faster if you cut it so I shouldn't worry about what they say. :P And I have to remember that if they said that hairtype thing to me when I had my silvery blonde virgin hair they stopped that when I dyed it. Now they think I have strong hair (only the colour changed). :D

rapunzelna
October 29th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Unfortunately I think i'm at terminal now. I can't seem to get any volume below this length (mid butt). I'm hoping it's just a temporary set back..but it's been a year now since I've had any significant sustained quality growth.

Miasen
October 29th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I think I have a good way to go to terminal. My ends look pretty thick even now at 37 inches. I am scandinavian, but I don't think I have that typical hair associated with that. My mom always said I had horse hair. XD