PDA

View Full Version : Problems doing up-dos and buns, advice?

Jenw777
October 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
My hair is past BS length and I plan to keep growing to at lease TB. I would like to be able to do more buns and updos and braids, but I have a problem and am hoping for some advice.

I was in a car accident when I was 16 and lost my right hand. While I can braid, I haven't figured out how to do the fancier braids myself. I can do a regular braid, twin braids, and herringbone (poorly).

I'm having a heck of a time doing buns though. I'm mostly leaving my hair down or throwing it into a pony or messy bun. I want more variety. And I want to protect my hair.

Is anyone else in this position? Could you lead me to some easier buns and updos until I can figure out how to do the others?

I have a tendency to learn fairly quickly, I mean, I can knit and crochet, and do my daughters hair among many other things. It gets so frustrating not being able to do things like "normal". I HATE THE LEARNING CURVE I HAVE WITH EVERYTHING!!!!!

wimsey
October 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
The first bun I could do at BSL was the Chinese Bun. I'm thinking if you can braid that it should be pretty easy for you. I held mine with a scrunchy, but you can also pin them.

Log Roll is also pretty easy, as is a folded up braid.

How thick is your hair? At BSL I couldn't do many buns at all as my hair is so thick.

Jenw777
October 19th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I can't quite get the chinese bun yet, it's still a smidge too short. My hair is pretty thick and has a few longer layers in it.

ddiana1979
October 19th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I would think a sock bun would be rather easy to start with. Or a Gibson Tuck (not technically a braid, but I think they're extremely elegant). French twist with a claw clip?

Look for torrinpaige on YouTube. She has some very good tutorials (one on sock bun too!). Though her hair is very long, I've been able to successfully do some of the simple styles on my APL hair.

Jenw777
October 19th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I forgot, I CAN do a sock bun. Everytime I do, I get stopped.

Yozhik
October 20th, 2010, 01:30 AM
What about a cinnabun? It's my go-to bun because it's basically just twist and go. The only thing you need to watch out for is where your tail is as your hair grows -- I try to insert my ficcare (or hairfork) near the side of the bun with the tail so it doesn't fall out.

salls
October 20th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I think this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=138) is simple and pretty.

luxepiggy
October 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I second the cinnabun - that worked for me until well past waist.

Blandine
October 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM
How about this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Meh8Swh38

restourceful
October 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
First off, I just gotta say I am severly impressed that you can braid and make a ponytail with one hand. I had surgery a couple of years ago to correct a pinched nerve and was one-handed for a few weeks. I couldn't do anything with my hair except comb it.

How about a french twist? They can be elegant or casual. And I second a cinnabun; it's very easy, and both these styles can be held with one stick or a few pins or a claw clip.

Jenw777
October 20th, 2010, 08:59 PM
So I have figured out the rope braid, thank you Aliped. It's still a little sloppy. But my rosebun was an epic fail.

cubedcoley
October 22nd, 2010, 12:07 AM
Keep going! I am a bit shorter than your BSL and am also layered. I am not sure how to link it, but under the Articles section, there is a category for hair-styling. I spent about 2 hours the other night going through all of those options. I especially like the following: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=129

It is the "messy bun sampler" and I found that I can smooth the "mess" out as much as I want by pinning sections into place based on the do I chose. Happy bunning and braiding! I also agree that you are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING to do a one-handed braiding technique. If you are up for it, POST A VIDEO as that is an amazing talent! :flowers:

Hana212
October 22nd, 2010, 05:37 AM
WOW I gotta say I admire your ability to braid!! I have two hands and i still fail dismally most of the time! Two thumbs up to you!! How old is your daughter? Can she help with some of the more difficult buns??

Anje
October 22nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
I'll add a vote for being impressed at your ability to braid! For me, bunning is definitely a two-handed activity, but I think you should be able to do a lot of buns if you can use your other arm to hold the hair against your head.

A really easy one to start with might be a Pinless braided bun (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71774), though you may need a few pins to help hold it at your length. (Here's a video of it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAwAtnvm24g&feature=related)) You could probably also adapt the method for twisted buns, and I'll bet a temporarily placed stick would hold the loop open so you could do a lazy wrap bun.