PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyling Help!

laughinglynxie
October 19th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hello all!

I am currently trying to give up my heat styling (I've successfully retired the flat iron so far) and looking for ways/toys to style my hair for work. I have very awkward length hair right now...it's basically hitting my shoulders at it's longest and has some longer layers and bangs. It's pretty straight and slick and a mix of fine/medium strands.

Any help is SO much appreciated! :)

excentricat
October 19th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Headbands are what I did at that stage. Get some pretty ones and some more neutral colored ones

laughinglynxie
October 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Headbands are what I did at that stage. Get some pretty ones and some more neutral colored ones

I have a few headbands. :) My only problem with them is that my head is so small, I can hardly find any that fit snugly and actually keep my hair away from my face (or from slipping through the sides)!:violin:

excentricat
October 20th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Well, what about the stretchy kind? They've got a little more "function" than "style" but it might work for the really bad days at least. Or you could try pulling the face pieces back with the tiny claw clips. That was all the fashion a few years ago.

SpinDance
October 20th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Maybe some of the mini-Flexi's would work to keep the sides back as an alternative to claw clips?

smileycat
October 20th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Sounds like we started from similar cuts, and our hair type is somewhat similar as well. I pinned the front off to the side with small clips the first few days. Those first few days were rough! The front of my hair was so flat! What I found, however, was that my hair got used to it after a few days, and I could just let it air dry after washing and wear it down.

Never thought my hair would need to be trained to NOT require blow-frying! I was at a point, however, where I was only blowing out the front of my hair for some style/lift, so I was already used to letting most of my hair dry naturally.

laughinglynxie
October 20th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Maybe some of the mini-Flexi's would work to keep the sides back as an alternative to claw clips?

That would be fun to try! And I can just find those online? I'm kinda hair toy dumb. hehe. I have claw clips and stuff, but my hair really is just so flat and slippery it looks like I have big ol' ears coming off of my head. And Flexi's are the kind that lay relatively flat?

laughinglynxie
October 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Sounds like we started from similar cuts, and our hair type is somewhat similar as well. I pinned the front off to the side with small clips the first few days. Those first few days were rough! The front of my hair was so flat! What I found, however, was that my hair got used to it after a few days, and I could just let it air dry after washing and wear it down.

Never thought my hair would need to be trained to NOT require blow-frying! I was at a point, however, where I was only blowing out the front of my hair for some style/lift, so I was already used to letting most of my hair dry naturally.

Yay, hair buddy! :joy: It's definitely a challenge for me to give up the blowfrying (now if I do it, I keep it on cool)... but it really is pretty much for those crazy baby hairs in the front that give me a unicorn effect, haha.

I can't wait for it to be longer and I can braid or bun it!!! And to think, I wouldn't have had this problem if I wouldn't have gone all crazy and bleached it a while back. :P

SpinDance
October 20th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Oh yes, you can get Flexi's online here: http://www.flexi8.com/

Larger ones may work well for peacock twists for you, too. I love my Flexi's! :)

laughinglynxie
October 20th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Oh yes, you can get Flexi's online here: http://www.flexi8.com/

Larger ones may work well for peacock twists for you, too. I love my Flexi's! :)

Awesome! Thanks! I might have to indulge once payday comes around. hehe

Thanks to all of you, too, for the great advice. :) While I've always been a more "natural" person as far as foods, lotions, and anything else imaginable; this hair stuff is all very new and exciting to me (I'm also currently making the switch to try CO washing). I'm glad to be in touch with such friendly and happy people.

SpinDance
October 21st, 2010, 06:55 AM
If the CO doesn't work too well for you, don't write it off completely. When I first tried it I was using coney stuff, and it didn't work very nicely. Felt good at first but looked flat and felt oily by the end of the day. Since then have slowly switched over to using oils and no cones, and now I do a combination of CWC with a few CO's thrown in between and my hair is feeling better than ever. I expect it will take at least another year of experiments to get down to a final routine, though!

Enjoy the journey. You have to take it regardless, and you can choose how to feel about it! :)