PDA

View Full Version : nervous hair habits.

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I will admit a few hair habits.....twirling, pulling, stroking, and when i'm really annoyed, cutting. I got over cutting it. But is it bad to twirl your hair? If so, why? And what are your habits?

ddiana1979
October 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I would assume that repeated twirling could cause some mechanical damage over time, especially if you end up twisting rather tightly, or always chose the same area of your head/hair to twirl. Probably a lot safer than pulling, and obviously even more so than cutting. ;)

I tend to tuck my hair behind my ears a lot when I'm nervous. Even if my hair is in an updo, I still do it. LOL

bluesnowflake
October 19th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Tucking behind my ears when I'm nervous/shy and pulling it over one shoulder.

Rocket22
October 19th, 2010, 03:16 PM
since joinng LHC I find myself running my hands through it a lot!!! feeling all the softness I'm creating by what I'm learning. :) I need to just leave it alone and let it grow and I as well do the tucking behind the ears when nervouse.

TinaDenali
October 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Just touching my hair in general... sometimes I have to just put it up when I know I'm going to be bored/nervous/anxious/etc.

BrightEyes7
October 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I tend to pick up a batch of hair, twirl it around my finger and bring it up to my mouth. I don't put it in my mouth, just kinda rub it on my lips.

It's weird, I know.

chopandchange
October 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Does picking your scalp count?

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
yep scalp picking counts....What i want to know is....to touch or not to touch during the growing process? I have always had some sort of hair habit one way or another but i can't just keep my hands out of my hair.....should i keep my hands away from my head? or does being gentle actually help the growth? yep i am full of questions.

d1angel
October 19th, 2010, 05:21 PM
My 9 year old daughter with BSL hair chews hers. It drives me crazy.

I tend to run my hands through it, and push it behind my ears when I'm nervous. Sometimes I twirl.

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 05:22 PM
i forgot, i push it behind my ears too....or pull my bangs in the front and play with them.

Qwackie
October 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I twirl, and look for splits when I'm bored, and stuff like that.

1nuitblanche
October 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Tucking it behind my ears definitely used to be my nervous hair habit. Then, I got my helix pierced, and let's just say that it was no longer comforting to tuck.

HintOfMint
October 19th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have two patches of extra coarse, rough hairs that I absentmindedly play with. They grow that way from the roots, so I know they're not damage.
I really need to stop doing that, I look a bit silly fiddling with them. I guess I need to have a "hands off" challenge/vow of sorts.

pepperminttea
October 19th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I tend to pick up a batch of hair, twirl it around my finger and bring it up to my mouth. I don't put it in my mouth, just kinda rub it on my lips.

It's weird, I know.

I do the same thing, with the unpainted surface of my nails. Glad it's not just me. :o

As for hair-twirling, I'm guilty. It's another reason to wear it up for me, it stops my idle fingers from fiddling with it.

Nastasia
October 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM
When my hair is braided, I play with the braid tassel. I comb my fingers through it and twirl it. I know it's causing damage, but I can't stop....

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 11:39 PM
anyone have advice on how to stop some habits or if some of our habits are actually GOOD? is it possible by playing with it lightly that we distribute the sebum better? hmm...

mellie89
October 20th, 2010, 11:44 AM
anyone have advice on how to stop some habits or if some of our habits are actually GOOD? is it possible by playing with it lightly that we distribute the sebum better? hmm...

I think gentle scalp massages can help distribute sebum and promote growth. If you're playing with the ends, however, I can't see how that could be beneficial. (I'm a twirler myself, and I really need to quit that habit. I have two chunks of hair in the front that are getting damaged from playing with them so much.)

Cheeks1206
October 20th, 2010, 12:17 PM
It isn't a nervous habit, but now that I'm wearing braids almost daily I'm twirlin my ends constantly. I do it when they're still wet to help form it into a loose curl or else it'll end up poking out in 50 different directions. After that, once it's dry I do it because it's soft and feels nice on my fingers. :)

StormiDoodle
October 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I twirl with my braid ends, too. If I'm bored, I'll also unbraid and rebraid my hair unnecessarily.

jenwexler
October 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM
One of my habits is that I play with my hair closer to the roots and kind of play the sebum down the ends. I guess that's not too bad. My hands are almost always in my hair...ahhh