PDA

View Full Version : Can't let my hair dry while in a bun or braids

DarleneH
October 19th, 2010, 09:39 AM
If I bunch up my wet hair, whether in a bun or braid or wrapped around my head or in a turban or whatever (you get the picture), it "sours" and smells awful. I don't know what you guys would call that, but we country folk always referred to it as souring. It's probably the water trapped in there breeding a bacteria bloom. If I want to use braids for adding waves, I have to get my hair to just barely damp and fill it full of styling product, and even then I will use a dryer on it for a few minutes.

I'm wondering if there is a way to prevent this so that I can dry it up?

spidermom
October 19th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I live in a cool climate, so there's only about 1 month out of the year where I'd have a problem with my hair "souring" (is that a word?). However, my hair never dries if I bun or braid it. I've only gone about 24 hours with it braided, and it was still wet when I removed the braid.

embee
October 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
My hair is thin and fine and straight. I cannot bun or braid and expect it to dry... it will stay damp and it *will* sour after a while. Makes a challenge when weather is rainy or chilly and I really want the damp hair off my back. Personally I like to leave my hair loose and let it dry in the sun, occasionally combing it.

weatherwax
October 19th, 2010, 11:06 AM
This was a problem when I lived in FL. My hair definitely soured if it didn't get dry fast enough. Even not braided, my hair air-dried so slowly . . . I also suspect that the slow drying contributed to dandruff, which I still get every time I go home.

Carolyn
October 19th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I'm guessing this is probably due to the humidity where you live. I would suggest taking your bun down a few times and rebunning your hair. For braid waves I would think what you are doing now is your best solution.

triumphator!
October 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Have you tried apple cidar vinegar rinses? That may help kill some of the bacteria...

EverydayMiracle
October 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I actually get better wave if I braid dry and leave it overnight. Sometimes, if I'm not leaving the house, I'll wear the same braid/braids for two days running, but move the elastic so that it doesn't put too much pressure on the hair. I don't have any problems with souring at all. I've never even heard of that. Interesting!

FrannyG
October 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM
My wet hair would never, ever dry if I just left it in a bun. Mine doesn't go sour, but then again, it's been a while since I bunned or braided wet hair for any amount of time.

I think what you're doing sounds about right.

Capybara
October 19th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Would it be possible to wear your hair in a looser style while it's drying, to let air circulate (maybe a peacock twist, with all the ends loose so they can dry)? Or maybe dry it partially down, and then put it up only when damp, not dripping wet?