PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it's that my layers are too short

sophiamarie
October 19th, 2010, 08:36 AM
In alot of my posts I mention that I am trying to grow out my layers. I joined LHC in August and am always reading about others growing out layers vs those that like them. Well it ocurred to me this morning that the thing I dislike about my layers is the Short Layers! I realized I like the longer ones! Maybe I just need to grow All of my hair much longer! Then the short layers will be long and long layers will be really long! How could I not have thought of this before???

spidermom
October 19th, 2010, 08:39 AM
We all end up with "layers" because of the shed and regrow cycle. My hair is "all one length", but I've got much shorter hairs sticking up all over the place. It's unavoidable.

MicheleClaire
October 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I have short, face-framing layers in the front of my hair, but I despise short layers anywhere else! I have long layers (only an inch shorter than my hemline) and it looks pretty fab.

FrannyG
October 19th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I think you're right; long layers can be really lovely, and accentuate your hair type. On the other hand, those really short layers can be pesky.

Just keep on growing and before you know it, you will indeed have only long layers!

akuamoonmaui
October 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Long layers have their place - it keeps the "w" in my wurls. I don't like my hair all one length, I think the long layers give it more movement. My hair is horrible with short layers - completely unmanigible and it sticks out everywhere making it a misshapen mess.

sophiamarie
October 20th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Thank you all for your encouragement. I just washed my hair this morning and now that it is dry I am once again frustrated over the short layers, especially the shortest one. So once again, into a half-up barrette. And again today, I like the longer layers! I think I just want all of my hair a whole lot longer. Thought I wanted to grow to BSL but now thanks to LHC and all the beautiful hair I see, I think I want to grow even longer. I think I need to just ignore the layers, and enjoy the growing process.

~bear
October 20th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I feel your pain with the short layers! Mine had gotten long (for me) and I was happy and made it clear to a new hairdresser I didn't want them shorter. She showed me how much she'd trim and next thing I know she chopped off 3 inches and now I'm back to the short layers which get wonky with wavy hair. Frustrating but I know they'll grow...yet again. ;)

Hang in there!

smileycat
October 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I like my hair with long layers, too. The problem is my stylist that, despite my instruction to keep them long, ends up chopping some goofy too-short layers in every third cut.

Why do I keep letting her cut my hair?

mellie89
October 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I love long hair with layers! UltraBella comes to mind as the queen of gorgeous long layers.

I've got some issues with my layers at the moment, too. The last time I let a pro anywhere near my hair, she cut a really short layer in. I've got a little too much taper now for my taste, so I'm slowly trimming the bottom layer until the shortest one catches up a bit.