PDA

View Full Version : Are hair sticks/forks damaging

Dragon
October 19th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Has any one found hair sticks and forks damaging? I'm thinking of trying them.

Nae
October 19th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Well, I would say it depends on the hair stick or fork. If it is from a LHC trusted maker you can usually count on it being smooth and hair friendly. I have gotten some that were a little more rough than I liked who weren't necessarily LHC approved. You have to watch for things like rough ends, blunt ends ect.

I have had really good luck with sellers like Grahtoe Studios, 60th street, Ketylo, Nightblooming, Ravenscroft, Quattro, Mairzy Dozy, Ravenslair, Barefoot Maiden and Epstone. Everything I have gotten from them have been extremely hair friendly.

If you torque your hair too much with the hair toy or twist it then I suppose you could get breakage. I have a lot of luck with updos, they keep my hair out of my face and it helps me forget about how far I have to go to get to my goal.

FoxRain
October 19th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Also careful with dangly stuff on sticks. It can get stuck in your hair and you might break it.
Otherwise, go for it. A simple wooden stick could be okay for a first, I think:D Have fun!

FrozenFlame22
October 19th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Any hair toy can be damaging if you're not careful with it. I used to put my hair up in a tight sloppy bun with a hair fork every day, and I was always really harsh in my handling of it. I would almost always hear a RIIIIP when I put in the hair fork. Now I'm more careful with how I handle my hair and I actually take care to how I structure my bun (even messy buns) and how I put in the hair fork. I'm using the same exact hair fork and I have not once ripped through my hair since I started being more careful.

JenniferNoel
October 19th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Generally speaking, the hair toy is as benign or dangerous as the person using it.
Although, for some general guidelines, I like to avoid plastic sticks/forks as not only do they break relatively easily, but a lot of them have sharp seams somewhere that can cut and break hair during use, which is not cool.
There are some very nice metal hair sticks on the market and many can be found up on the swap board here and or on various sites online. Again, a lot of those vendor's names are probably floating around on the swap board/conventional products and accessories boards for some idea.
I personally prefer a hand crafted, quality wooden fork or stick, made by either a trusted company or LHC member. Investing in quality hair toys is always worth every penny, and your hair will thank you.
And remember, regardless of the quality of your hair toy, always be careful and gentle when using it, as you would any other process with your hair.
:)

aenflex
October 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I've always been weary of anything that involves tension. I used to use a pen, pencil or whatever to hold up my bun and I loved the way it looked but always wondered about the tension. I think I like the look of a Flexi 8, when my hair gets a bit longer I'm gonna try one.

Dragon
October 19th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all your relpies.

PrincessBob
October 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Learn how to use your hair stick/fork. Just "sticking it in" does not hold, and may pull unnecessarily at your scalp.

Brynne
January 31st, 2011, 11:28 PM
I've just finally pretty much grown my hair to the length that I can enjoy using hair sticks and forks...I had short hair for a long time, so I'm not sure if all hair has little whispies that kind of stick up (when the light is just right, you can see them), or if I have been breaking it with the hair toys and have only just noticed. I use ketylos and some nice wooden forks, not scratchy....and, if I hear a bad noise, I back off and press gently forward again....I thought...maybe I'm still being too rough? So, are little whispies normal? Some of them seem to be new hairs, as they taper off at the ends, but not all of them.