PDA

View Full Version : The new hair secret is the DOOBIE.

jenwexler
October 18th, 2010, 09:34 PM
My grandma is in her 80s and has the longest hair in the family thanks to her doobie. Some people may call it a wrap, but to my family, it is known as the doobie. Doesn't that sound epic? haha. what you do is, you wrap your hair around your head and secure it. It can be secured with bobby pins and gel or after you shower, and it has a headband or bandanna protect it. I've been doing it after showers and keeping it up with aloe vera gel. My hair comes out so soft when it dries in the doobie and it stays safe from the cold. I even wore a knit hat over my doobie today and sported it all day in public. It may have been odd to do, but hey, it was gross outside, and I am not risking bad hair for it. The doobie seems to hold my hair's oils and distributes it evenly. Its probably even better for longer hair since it's old. My hair is short and the doobie can still be done. Length is not a problem. Try it out and let me know how you feel. Maybe we can make it a doobie challenge =]

UPDATE [1.18.11]

I HAVE A DOOBIE HOW TO VIDEO ON YOUTUBE NOW. CHECK OUT THE LINK. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y79s23Mk7JI

My youtube page has 2 other hair related videos.

eezepeeze
October 18th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hmmm...in my area a doobie is something totally different...what you're describing would be called a do-rag in my area, or just a headscarf.

Do you wrap it up in a bandana or something?

podo
October 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Hmmm...in my area a doobie is something totally different...

Yes indeed!! :whistle: It's amazing how many slang words are used world-wide....but with different meanings.

I am curious though - can you post some pictures?

jenwexler
October 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM
All of my Puerto Rican relatives call it a doobie. i might have explained it a tad off but you can definitely see pictures of what i'm refering to on my tumblr.

http://jenshairjourney.tumblr.com/

i decided to take up my mom and grandma's advice while i nurse my hair back to health. The wrap is the hair itself. You can just cover it with a bandanna to look less manish and to hold in body heat. By time I am done with my doobie I look like a boy, which is the only offside haha. I'd rather wear a bandanna and look like a housekeeper any day. XD

ddiana1979
October 18th, 2010, 10:14 PM
So kind of like a do-rag or tichel? I do that too, whenever I'm oiling my hair or when I'm cleaning the house or working in the garden when I don't want dust/dirt attaching itself to my hair. It's nice to be able to go out of the house & look presentable while oiling or deep conditioning my hair too.

triumphator!
October 18th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Oh lord, doobie XD

PineappleJello
October 18th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Definitely thought you were going to say your grandma smokes pot for her long hair

slythwolf
October 19th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Definitely thought you were going to say your grandma smokes pot for her long hair
This, and it wouldn't be the first time I'd heard that it makes hair grow faster either.

Melisande
October 19th, 2010, 12:28 AM
In Hebrew, a doobie is a pretty gross thing - it's a piece of dried snot ;-)

Excuse me for grossing you out but it's a children's word and it also means 'little bear'.

Bene
October 19th, 2010, 12:47 AM
A doobie, as far as I know, is just another name for a wrap. I remember back in maybe '95 when my cousin discovered it and tried to talk me into letting her do that to my head. From what I remember, it's the best way to get home from the salon with freshly straightened hair on windy days.

Astarte_1980
October 19th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I would like to see a picture of that doobie

WaitingSoLong
October 19th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I have a hair tube that I do this with. It is like a sleeve for my hair, then I take the sleeve and wrap it around. I am trying to recall how I secure it...it has been awhile since I used it because it is rather unsightly, I do it when I am working, keeps all the hair in, no flyaways to stick to my sweaty face. Also protects hair from sunlight and yes, keeps the hair straight. I must just tuck the end in...I really cannot remember!

Pierre
October 19th, 2010, 06:10 AM

Excuse me for grossing you out but it's a children's word and it also means 'little bear'.
I get the bear (dov) but how did a bear cub turn into a moquito?

Melisande
October 19th, 2010, 06:53 AM
I wish I knew :-D

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 07:06 AM

i have pictures on in here under my first day if you scroll down...it's no where near as perfect as the way my grandma does it but it's awesome.

gretchen_hair
October 19th, 2010, 07:06 AM
oh wow, definately don't want those kind of doobies covering your hair....'hey, look at my doobie covered hair'!!! (I bet the reactions would be priceless) :(

Or Rastafarian doobie covered hair, 'hey, look at my doobie covered hair'!!! (a much different reaction I bet) ;) :cheese:

After I looked at your site Jen, I realize I have seen this before, many people wrap their hair to straighten it. You look super cool in your doobie!

x0h_bother
October 19th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Side note @ tumbler, you were really cute as a little girl and had such great long hair! And you're just pretty in general :)

tinti
October 19th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Cool, I might have to try that.

Diamondbell
October 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I couldn't see the Day 1 doobie picture :( I am curious...

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 08:31 AM

go to the link, scroll all the way down. the link reads from down to the top. after day 1, there is a segment on the doobie. =D

growing2shine
October 19th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Hi jenwexler and welcome. Nice tip and thank you for sharing.

Oh btw bobbypins can be quite damaging. :flower: (But if it works for you, that's great.)

Angeletti
October 19th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm guessing this is similar to the wrapping hair videos I've seen on youtube. Unfortunately I have very fine hair so my hair doesn't like to stay wrapped up very long before it starts falling down no matter how many bobby pins I use, but I could see how this style would be nice for keeping one's hair straight and nice while sleeping or doing whatever.

sibiryachka
October 19th, 2010, 09:42 AM
A doobie, as far as I know, is just another name for a wrap. I remember back in maybe '95 when my cousin discovered it and tried to talk me into letting her do that to my head. From what I remember, it's the best way to get home from the salon with freshly straightened hair on windy days.

I wonder whether that's how the, er, more widely known usage of "doobie" originated.

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Honestly, I think it must have originated in Africa or something but don't quote me on that. It's in latin culture...at least my family's lol. i also had a few african nannies and they sported a doobie. The bobby pins actually don't damage my hair because i'm careful when removing them, they don't rup out any strands, and my hair is so moisturized that my hair doesn't get dangled to the pins. I also switch on and off with small plastic clips which seem to work well.

CrisDee
October 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I think this is the same as the hair wrapping technique discussed in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51781) thread. I've been doing it for a couple months now, and have totally given up the blow dryer! :cheese:

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
What is your opinions of wrapping exactly and how often do you do it? How does it effect how often you wash/condition your hair?

EverydayMiracle
October 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I cover my head almost all of the time for religious reasons. Normally I wear a wide headband or a short veil, but I also wear bandannas and snoods. The snoods are excellent for protecting the hair, but they aren't a great fashion statement at all. Even though I cover, I'm definitely not a Plain Jane (I'm Christian, not Muslim :) ), and I really like to have a good look to the choices that I make. I cover regardless of whether my hair is wet or dry. If the hair is up (bun) then it does a lot more to protect the hair, but hair can also be worn down inside a snood.

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
It's nice that hair can be safe thanks to religion too. I am a mutt so I kind of don't know what to follow exactly. My dad is jewish and my mom is catholic. I had a rabbi who's wife would keep her hair cut short for the religion. She kept her hair hidden by a veil or a wig. The idea from what I understand is that no other man is to look at her but her husband, so even though her hair was cut almost as short as my Rabbi's, he would see her as beautiful. I could have totally butchered that idea but either way I think it's beautiful.

EverydayMiracle
October 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I am a Hebrew Roots Christian. Some people mistakenly refer to that as "Messianic Jewish." There is a way to "sort of" combine Judaism and Christianity. But both sides tend to ostracize us.

I don't cover all of my hair: just my head. If my hair happens to be in a bun, it's covered by the veils or headbands that I wear. I also believe that the same passages that tell us to cover our heads *also* tell us not to cut our hair, so my growth is partially for religious reasons.

It's funny, my husband had said that he didn't want me to grow my hair. Now that it's waist length, he likes it there and wants me to stop. Wait until it's tailbone, he'll love it there, and want me to not grow it any more. Then when it reaches classic.... You get my drift. LOL

Bonkers57
October 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
lol!! Me too; I guess you could call it smoking pot for medical reasons :D :D

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM
pot helps growth? never heard that before haha...not that i smoke. most i do is hookah. hookah is nice =]

PineappleJello
October 19th, 2010, 02:47 PM
One day you'll be shopping in a Canadian WalMart, wandering through the cosmetic/hair care section and see a bunch of BC bud. :lol:

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM
lmao. well that would explain why all my guy friends with long hair are teh pot smokers....but i will stick to legal ways of good hair growth.

ddiana1979
October 19th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Well, there is hemp shampoo, conditioner, & oil. Maybe you can put some hemp oil under your doobie. ;)

princessp
October 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hmmm...in my area a doobie is something totally different...what you're describing would be called a do-rag in my area, or just a headscarf.

Do you wrap it up in a bandana or something?

Yeah I totally thought your Grandma was getting her hair growth inspiration from the 60s:
:knit: + :magic: = :gobblecheese: & :knitfrog: :flower:

Anyway, I'm glad this is working for you, your blog is very cool.

Toadstool
October 19th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Soooo....
I looked at all your pictures (you are so cute)
but still don't understand...
is the doobie the style
or the bandanna?!:confused:

mwedzi
October 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
It's remained very popular for black women with straightened hair, at least in this country (US). If you go on YouTube and search "doobie hair", you will find plenty of videos. But you get even better results if you search for "how to wrap your hair (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+wrap+your+hair&aq=0)."

jenwexler
October 19th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Soooo....
I looked at all your pictures (you are so cute)
but still don't understand...
is the doobie the style
or the bandanna?!:confused:

Thank you! I am glad you and a few others have seen my blog! I slacked off today when it came to documenting but only because I had to prepare for a date =D Now the doobie is a head wrap and I cover it with the bandanna too look less freaky. Since my hair is back to short, It looks alittle weird on me...but it works! There should be 3 pictures of the doobie....one should have my head turned to see the back....it might be hard to make it out but it's there. I kind of look like I have no hair with the wrap. Over time it should look sort of like a beehive I believe. It's doing a good job keeping my hair tamed and soft.

Cheeks1206
October 22nd, 2010, 09:52 AM
How long does it take your hair to dry when you wrap/doobie it? It seems like it would take forever!

Toadstool
October 22nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
I can't see your blog anymore!

jenwexler
October 22nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
How long does it take your hair to dry when you wrap/doobie it? It seems like it would take forever!
It actually doesn't take too long. It's better to do when the hair is damp so the hair stays in place while you wrap it.

Cheeks1206
October 22nd, 2010, 03:24 PM
It actually doesn't take too long. It's better to do when the hair is damp so the hair stays in place while you wrap it.

Thanks for the response! I'm going to look into this more when I get home; I'm very intrigued. Do you know if this works well for curly hair? It just doesn't seem like it would gt all that straight.

jenwexler
October 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the response! I'm going to look into this more when I get home; I'm very intrigued. Do you know if this works well for curly hair? It just doesn't seem like it would gt all that straight.

Oh it should work perfectly fine with curly hair. My mom has curly hair and seems to be happy with it too. I think it depends from person to person. Try it out and let me know how it goes =]

Hana212
October 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM

totally what I thought too.. :p

BelleBot
October 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I've been quite intrigued by this, but not quite sure how to get it to work with tailbone length hair. However I managed to do it! My hair and scalp have various treatments on them so this is a good way of hiding it from my flatmates till I wash it in the morning. I'm going to try sleeping it in as it feels comfier than my usual bun on top of the head bed time do and it's probably more protective as my hair won't be rubbing against the pillow.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5314&pictureid=86656
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5314&pictureid=86655
Before anyone faints, I do have a towel on, it's just out of shot.
I got the strongbow bandanna free a few weeks back and have yet to find a use for it. Now I have a use for it :D At least it doesn't slip off like silk bandannas :p

So cheers jenwexler :) this could be the start of a new habit for me.

Forever_Sophie
October 25th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I just searched and found this:
http://www.dominicanblowout.com/how_to/how-to-do-a-doobie/

Pics and instructions, can't wait to try this! (no scarf here, though...?).

BelleBot
October 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Though instructions would have made life so much easier when I was having a go at it :p Next time!

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Every time I see this title, I see dobie (as in doberman pinscher). Maybe not for hair, but having one is the secret, all right.

jenwexler
October 26th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I've been quite intrigued by this, but not quite sure how to get it to work with tailbone length hair. However I managed to do it! My hair and scalp have various treatments on them so this is a good way of hiding it from my flatmates till I wash it in the morning. I'm going to try sleeping it in as it feels comfier than my usual bun on top of the head bed time do and it's probably more protective as my hair won't be rubbing against the pillow.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5314&pictureid=86656
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5314&pictureid=86655
Before anyone faints, I do have a towel on, it's just out of shot.
I got the strongbow bandanna free a few weeks back and have yet to find a use for it. Now I have a use for it :D At least it doesn't slip off like silk bandannas :p

So cheers jenwexler :) this could be the start of a new habit for me.

Yey I'm not alone! haha. I learned the bandanna is my best friend when I wear the doobie, or a knit cap. I am so glad you are taking this up. I believe we have my Titi Julie to thank for the doobie. She recommended it when I saw her. :D

rapunzelna
October 29th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Hehe..I thought this was going say say smoking pot helped with hair growth!

Diamondbell
October 29th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the instructions Forever Sophie and for the picture Bellebot! For some reason I couldn't see the picture in jenwexler's blog. Only now I understand what it is :D ... Going to try this now! :)

Vermelha
October 29th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Oh wow. I've been wearing "doobies" for years. Lots of Dominican, Puerto Rican and African-American women do this after a roller set, blowout or fresh relaxer. It's good for working out in and keeping hair straight when sleeping. But a scarf still goes over it to keep it tight and smooth.

It's best for straighter hair. Curly hair just turns out wrong when attempting this. Looks good though :)

Vermelha
October 29th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Oh and a tidbit: it will thin your edges if you continually wrap in the same direction every day. Alternating directions is best. Using a paddle brush and a little oil helps smooth it out.

jenwexler
October 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the tips! Oh and the blog goes from bottom to top and is now 2 pages long...doobie pictures are at the bottom, or at the start, of the blog.

curlylocks85
October 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hmmm...in my area a doobie is something totally different...

That is what I was thinking too. :p

M Saint
October 30th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Ditto. That's what I thought too.

JulietCapulet
October 30th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Thank you to you and your grandmother for such a great tip!! I will try as soon as I can get my hands on a bandana.

jenwexler
December 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM
I HAVE GREAT DOOBIE NEWS!!!! I'm in Puerto Rico now, which is where I learned about the doobie. I was putting coconut oil in my hair when my mom volunteered to put my hair in a doobie. She wrapped it up perfectly and had the right clips for it. I didn't think my hair was long enough to do a perfect doobie but I was wrong. She's letting me keep the clips since I don;t have my own. I have only been using booby pins and obviously bobbypins can move around a lot. These stay in place. She then used a bandanna to secure it and a hair net over it. I look kinda silly but my head is definitely ready for a night of tossing and turning in bed haha.

Lianna
December 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
What kind of clips are they? Can you post a pic or a link, please? I'm thinking hair pins would work nicely, if you take them out so they don't form dents.

monsterna
December 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM
At first I :blueeek:. But then I :?.

jenwexler
December 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM
http://www.google.com.pr/imgres?imgurl=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/353635/1969182.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/353635/2009332.html%3F1230000126&usg=__9_e7StO53TMl173227eIPXNUXrY=&h=280&w=280&sz=8&hl=es&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=25-wvXxEkR2HeM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=158&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtypes%2Bof%2Bhair%2Bclips%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Des%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D693%26tbs%3Disch: 1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=904&vpy=61&dur=2592&hovh=224&hovw=224&tx=84&ty=151&ei=-l4RTZv_NcGB8gaGzq3fDQ&oei=4V4RTavxKMP68Aayo7HODQ&esq=8&page=1&ndsp=33&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

They're just a tad longer than these clips.

missdelarocha
January 17th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Awesome! I remember searching so hard for the hair wrapping/doobies on YouTube and could never find them because I didn't know what to search for lol!! Can't believe I didn't think of hair wrapping, oh well haha.
Your blog is interesting!

jenwexler
January 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Thankyou!!! And you just reminded me that I STILL have to make a doobie video haha...I'll have to do it later.

jenwexler
January 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hey guys I finally made the doobie video!!! Here's the link ==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y79s23Mk7JI

feel free to watch and see how I put it up.

LindainCO
January 17th, 2011, 11:47 PM
One day you'll be shopping in a Canadian WalMart, wandering through the cosmetic/hair care section and see a bunch of BC bud. :lol:

Haha, it's legal in CO...I'm licensed....we'll see if it helps, right?:D

Jen, you are so cute in your video! I'm going to try that.
My hair takes forever to dry, and the back has waves I don't love. Thanks for the info!

jenwexler
January 17th, 2011, 11:49 PM
No problem!!!! You can do the doobie dry if you want, but having your hair damp just makes it a little easier to brush it in the circular pattern.

alwayssmiling
January 18th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Great video jenwexler. Its very difficult process to describe, much better to watch someone else do it and copy. You seem to clip down hair on your crown - is that correct? Thats the trickiest bit. Hair wrapping makes my hair really straight but keeps the body which I like.

jenwexler
January 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Yep I clip it down like that just the way my mom taught me. I like the outcome.

TiaKitty
January 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Don't those clips aggravate you while you sleep? I think they'd freak me out!!!

BelleBot!!! Will you come back and show us how your TB doobie turned out??

Either doobie sounds good to me if it helps my hair! Or both!

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I've done this before when I wanted to get my hair straight. It did leave my hair quite soft afterwards. :flower:

alwayssmiling
January 18th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Once my bandana is on I remove most of the clips then tighten the bandana so its quite snug, it seems to keep everythin in place comfortable. I can't sleep with anything on my head, I probably end up strangling myself with the bandana knowing me. I put it on whilst doing housework, ironing watching tv etc.

Also I prefer doing it dry with a bit of mousse to give it a bit of help. The non sticky type - aussie is good.

jenwexler
January 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM
That's an interesting idea. I got used to sleeping with the clips but everyone has their own preferences.

Bonkers57
January 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Great job! Easy to follow :D

Hey guys I finally made the doobie video!!! Here's the link ==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y79s23Mk7JI

feel free to watch and see how I put it up.

jenwexler
January 18th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thankyou =]

LaurelSpring
January 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Nice video! Im going to try this and see what happens.

pepperedmoth
January 18th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I am a Hebrew Roots Christian. Some people mistakenly refer to that as "Messianic Jewish." There is a way to "sort of" combine Judaism and Christianity. But both sides tend to ostracize us.

OT, but one of my friends (well, two, she and her husband . . . four if you count their kids!) combine Judaism and Christianity and they DO call it Messianic Judaism. I wonder if there are several different ways to combine?

The Jews in town didn't count them as Jewish, but they came to our Bible study and we counted them as Christian . . .

All right, back to hair!

I am SO trying the 'doobie' tonight. I will report back. And, uh, it has a drug reference in my neck of the woods, too. I won't be able to call it that . . . maybe just a hair wrap?

jenwexler
January 18th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hmm well I don't know what I am called. My mother is Catholic and my dad is Jewish and I was raised both at some point in my life....Perhaps I am a Cashew???

Hmm and if you can't call it doobie....wanna call it Scooby so it sounds cute instead of druggy? =P

longlockenvy
January 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I'm so going to try this tonight!! I'm curious what will happen if I got to bed with my hair fairly damp like this.. because it's normally wavy/curly and I've sworn off my hair dryer and straightener.. and I wonder if it would make it straighter?

jenwexler
January 18th, 2011, 07:31 PM
It should make it a lot straighter, maybe not completely though. I get a slight flip since it wraps around my head. It's harder for me to tell because my hair is mostly straight, but my Mom says it makes her hair straighter and her hair is pretty curly. You don't have to have it damp if you don't want to, but I feel it helps put it in the circular pattern better and probably helps mold your hair better as it dries like that.

Slug Yoga
January 18th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hmm well I don't know what I am called. My mother is Catholic and my dad is Jewish and I was raised both at some point in my life....Perhaps I am a Cashew???

Haha, I like that.

Thanks for the video. I appreciated the Cee Lo Green video, I've been listening to that incessantly lately :D And you're very pretty!

I'll have to try that... I was wondering about the clips too though, and if they'd bug me. I tend to roll around a lot when I sleep.

jenwexler
January 18th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Thankyou! You can try bobbypins but it will take a bit longer. Or, as someone suggested, use the pins, tie your hair in a bandanna tightly, and then remove the pins just so the bandanna is the only form of support.

itsnikki
January 18th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I will have to try this! :)

jenwexler
January 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Best of luck =D Let me know how it turns out =]

longlockenvy
January 19th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I tried this last night after my shower, and I'm sold!! This morning, my hair is smoother, and not as wavy and no frizz! There are some waves showing up, and looks like I may get some soft curl, but not bad considering I get ringlets! I'm so excited, I think I may actually do my makeup and try and look cute today! lol

Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us!!

jenwexler
January 19th, 2011, 08:01 AM
No problem =] Glad you like it!

Toad Squalor
January 20th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I tried this last night and it worked wonders! Of course, I also put a little too much coconut oil in my hair, so I woke up with greasy but voluminous bangs. It definitely smoothed out the little bit of curly-wavy stuff I've got going on without making my hair flat. Thanks for the tip!

jenwexler
January 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
No problem glad you enjoyed it =]

jenwexler
January 20th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I'm doin' the doobie right nowwww ahhhh. I actually don't think I'll try the doobie clip-free. My bandanna tends to slip off by morning.

Gabriel
January 21st, 2011, 05:34 AM
I have really fond memories from when I was little, of my curly haired relatives wearing this style. I was always amazed at how they managed to get their hair swirled up there and pinned/clipped down and wrapped. And the one big curler/juice can! When their hair would be let down it would be so straight, with so much bounce!

It's pretty funny, I would covet their 3a/b/c curls and they'd covet my 1a/b hair. (My texture has changed as I've gotten older.)

This thread always makes me think of them and smile.

jenwexler
January 21st, 2011, 08:01 AM
That's so cute. I think I remember someone telling me people used to wrap their hair around soda cans.

annieangel149
January 21st, 2011, 08:12 AM
hi jen! just read the whole thread and it is really interesting! i have damaged ends! will a doobie help them?

jenwexler
January 21st, 2011, 11:30 AM
I don't think the doobie can repair damaged ends because the only thing that can really get rid of them is a trim, BUT it protects your hair to keep further damage from happening. If you sleep with the doobie, it will keep your hair from tossing and turning and tearing...so in a way it will protect your ends and keep them from getting further damage while you wear it.

jenwexler
March 14th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Hey whose tried the doobie since I posted the video? I want to know if it helped anyone.

jenwexler
March 14th, 2011, 09:43 PM
It has come to my attention that people couldn't view my doobie video thanks to b.s. copyright laws that shouldn't have even applied considering I gave credit to the music artist on my video. Thankfully, I figured out how to fix this by filing a copyright disclaimer. The problem should be all fixed and you can watch. Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y79s23Mk7JI

CurlyCyndi
March 14th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hey are you sure its doobie... Where I come from it's called a Tubie. Hispanics call it a Tubie and use it specifically to be able to keep their hair straight after they straighten it. Doing this will keep the hair from curling from night/sleep sweat... It makes blow outs last longer. Usually it;s used by hispanics that have 2 and 3 type hair.

CurlyCyndi
March 14th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Nevermind I guess Dominican and Puerto Ricans use both words Toobie and Doobie I just have never heard anyone call it a doobie... It's probably just teh accents are thick and T and D sound a like.

jenwexler
March 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
My whole family calls it doobie but it's all the same thing.

DivineComedian
March 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the video, I'll give this a go (once I manage to find a bandana and some decent pins). I do sometimes wrap my hair up with a scarf overnight, having just kind of bundled it up inside, but I'm pretty sold on the idea of this as it'd probably help tame the frizz in my hair a bit more.

jenwexler
March 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
When I did it right my hair come out realllllly soft. I'm very tolerable of the pins and I'm a dep sleeper which helps. I don't know how a light sleeper would feel exactly.

Nipushiau
March 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I also thought you might be talking about weed. :)

Still this has been an interesting read. Along the same lines (since I have mostly straight hair), I made a silk satin head covering for sleeping that protects my hair and makes it really soft in the morning. It's kind of like a small pillow case with elastic sewn into the open end so it doesn't slip off.

I guess I really do need a bag on my head, but only at night. Haha. :)

Dorothy
March 15th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I think you look perfectly darling in the clips, in a steampunky kind of way. You'd look high fashion here in hip and happening Lawrence, KS, hanging out on Massachusettes street with the street gypsy kids, who would definately add some doobage to your doobie.

Your video was well put together.

jenwexler
March 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Thankyou! I noticed that a lot of people in Puerto Rico actually walk around with the doobie doing errands without even covering it up. I love how perfect they can do it there. When my hair gets longer it will probably look more orderly.

MissEarlGrey
March 15th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I still don't understand what the purpose of clipping up your hair and putting a bandanna on. Could you explain the reason you do this?

jenwexler
March 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I do this so the hair stays in place from the clips and the bandanna keeps the clips from shifting while I sleep.

jenwexler
April 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Youtube is screwing me over. The Doobie video had to be deleted for copyright even though I clearly gave credit for it. I reuploaded it and gave credit again in both the video and video description. Within 5 minutes, the audio was disabled anyway and I have to have the audio swapped. At least the video works though. Here is the new link to the Doobie Video. Anyone know what's up with youtube lately?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExLuWKOthI

braidedbeauty
April 28th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I wonder if you wrap it wet would it help air dry your hair straight instead of curls if your naturally curly?

jenwexler
April 28th, 2011, 05:41 PM
It might work. My mom does this and she has curly hair. I don't know though.

LaurelSpring
April 28th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Im wondering if this would work under the motorcycle helmet. I have been using a wrapter which is sort of a pony sock on it but it still gets whipped around pretty good.

jenwexler
April 28th, 2011, 06:51 PM
It probably would but I'd use bobbypins so it would be a little more comfortable under your helmet.

Lunarise
April 28th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I've been doing this every night now since I learned about it. I have a pretty short bob that flips out sooo bad if I don't straighten it in the morning. It stays nice and flipped under when I wrap it, so no more straightener, yay!!

jenwexler
April 29th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I'm so happy it works for you!

nory87
April 30th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I really need to learn how to do the doobie. I am from Puerto Rico but my mother never thought me how to do it ( she never did it herself) hopefully I can get all the right materials to try this soon!! :)

jenwexler
April 30th, 2011, 08:18 PM
It's really nice and pretty easy to do =] I think It's actually easier with longer hair.

Aimskylove
April 30th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Im Dominican and we call it that too! Lol except I always thought it was spelled tuby. haha.

missdelarocha
September 22nd, 2011, 07:39 AM
I wish I could watch the video but all of the links aren't working! Damned YouTube!

Noreth
September 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
All of my Puerto Rican relatives call it a doobie.
We used to go to Puerto Rican salon to get these done. My head would always look like a traffic cone!:p But it made my naturally frizzy, non shiny hair much better. Maybe I should start doing them again, without blowfrying.:D

julierockhead
September 22nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Hahaha the title of this thread is great now I want to smoke a doob!

jenwexler
January 17th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Since my hair got longer and the frizz has been tamed by coconut oil, I get lazy and don't doobie as much....but I might get back into it. My hair is naturally straight, minus a few flips. It straightens it out even more with the doobie. Maybe days I want it to look more slick I'll do it again.

Maktub
January 17th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Too bad the video isn't there anymore :(

jenwexler
January 17th, 2012, 10:19 AM
yea youtube was giving me trouble with it =[. maybe i can put it on another site to link or remake it some time.

Maktub
January 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I'd like that !

ps. Huge difference in your 2 signature photos, wow, so full now !!