PDA

View Full Version : Oiling Hair

EverydayMiracle
October 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I went back for several pages and couldn't find anything recent on this topic, so I thought I'd go ahead and risk a new post.

I am going to oil my hair for the first time tonight, as I mentioned previously. I think that I have everything necessary to be successful. My question is this: how long should the oil stay on my hair? Should I do it immediately before bed or is it a situation where the longer the oil is on my hair, the better? What is the best way to put it up if I'd like to have waves in the morning? I figure in that case a braid would work best?

Thanks in advance :)

Unipeg
October 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hi the longer you leave it on the better. A braid would be good or a cinnabon would give you nice waves too. What kind of oil are going to use?

jojo
October 18th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Well it depends on how much time you got, I try and do an overnight one but if not I try for 4 hours but an hours good too if your in a rush!

Remember when your getting the oil out do not wet hair, oil and water dont mix and you will end up with oily hair, the trick to getting it out is to put a lot of conditioner straight on your hair and really massage it in, leave for say 10 minutes and rinse, then repeat. It works everytime even with the heavier oils.

Which oil are you going to experiment with?

Unipeg
October 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Dont forget to cover your pillow with a towel or cover your head real good . The bandana slid off the first time i oiled my hair overnight. Good Luck and Happy Oiling.

EverydayMiracle
October 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I'm using coconut. I think I might put a waste case on the pillowcase to protect it. The bandana probably will slip, so thanks for that advice. I will be leaving it on overnight plus as much time as I have this afternoon/evening. I will probably oil it right after dinner, then put it up.

I can't make a cinnabun work. I wonder if I'm doing it wrong. I don't know if my hair is slippery or what, but... I might try to do one and have hubby get a picture lol

Unipeg
October 18th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hey jojo! thats what i have been doing wrong. I wet my hair first than put the conditioner on.Thanks I didnt know that. I will remember that for my next heavy oiling. Makes sense now that you mentioned it. Thanks again.

Unipeg
October 18th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I am not sure of the correct way to do a cinnabun . I just twist and twist than go round and round in a circle than fasten with a plastic fork or two. Sorry for the sad description . I am still pretty new myself. A picture would nice.

Capybara
October 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I think that there is no true answer to this :) Some people may prefer oiling overnight, while others may only oil directly before a wash. Do what makes your hair feel best. Personally, I like oiling lightly every day, and then doing a heavy oiling the night before a wash. I'll literally soak my length and part of my scalp in oil, but by morning a lot of it is absorbed.

Dolly
October 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I do an overnight oiling 1-2 times a week. I NORMALLY apply the oil in the early evening, say 5 or 6 pm, and wash it the next morning between 6 and 8 am.....I will usually braid it after oiling and put a towel on my pillowcase.

Sometimes, if I am just hanging out on the weekend, I will oil it and put it up in a cinna-bun for most of the day, then braid it before bed.....

EverydayMiracle
October 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I'm going to give it four hours tonight. I didn't plan well when I put the oil on the hair, so I'm still wearing my shirt, and my bandanna is slipping in a major way. My little one keeps tugging on it, so we'll have to see how long it lasts. I'm going to go ahead and wash and then put it up for the night so I have some waves tomorrow.

Lianna
October 18th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I agree there's no "right answer", I think you have to find which one makes your hair feel nicer. I like to lightly oil everyday on damp hair, and heavy oil before washes, which can be for 30 minutes to overnight.

jojo
October 18th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hey jojo! thats what i have been doing wrong. I wet my hair first than put the conditioner on.Thanks I didnt know that. I will remember that for my next heavy oiling. Makes sense now that you mentioned it. Thanks again.

your very welcome, i learnt the hard way like 3 shampoos to get the oil out, then the penny dropped!!!

jojo
October 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I think that there is no true answer to this :) Some people may prefer oiling overnight, while others may only oil directly before a wash. Do what makes your hair feel best. Personally, I like oiling lightly every day, and then doing a heavy oiling the night before a wash. I'll literally soak my length and part of my scalp in oil, but by morning a lot of it is absorbed.

me too my exact routine!

EverydayMiracle
October 18th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I worry that my hair is going to get wet before I can get the conditioner on it :-/ We'll have to see what happens. I may have to use a shower cap instead of a bandanna in the future. Save the bandannas for curling then :)

vividdreamer
October 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I use Virgin Coconut Oil (and a LOT of it!) for overnight treatments, and I always wet my hair before applying conditioner. I wasn't aware until this thread that anyone has problems doing that--I just do a heavy oiling overnight (sometimes up to 12 hours) and then CWC as usual the next day. I've never had any problems at all, but it may vary depending on the person (as most hair related things tend to ;)). Good luck!

(I'm doing an overnight oiling tonight too--I've been doing it before every wash lately, and loving the results. :D)

EverydayMiracle
October 18th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I am probably going to try to overnight the next time I wash. I just had to redo the bandanna as it is. I don't know how to secure it when it's oily lol

liagibba
October 18th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I just did a coconut and castor oiling last night. It was so fantastic! When I woke up in the morning, I wet my hair in the shower and applied a little more conditioner than normal (I CO-wash exclusively), scrubbed my hair and scalp real good, and slipped on a shower cap for the remainder of the shower. When I rinsed, all the oil was gone and my hair was super soft :)

EverydayMiracle
October 18th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I went to wash my hair tonight and discovered that the conditioner I bought was shampoo. LOL! At least it didn't make it on my hair without me noticing! I wish that I could CO. Maybe if somebody could tell me why I lose all my body when I do it, I could try again.

Dolly
October 19th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I went to wash my hair tonight and discovered that the conditioner I bought was shampoo. LOL! At least it didn't make it on my hair without me noticing! I wish that I could CO. Maybe if somebody could tell me why I lose all my body when I do it, I could try again.

Maybe the conditioner you are using is too heavy. Try to find some White Rain extra body conditioner.....it is pretty thin and doesn't weigh hair down. If you want to CO, it is one of the best. And, it is cheap too!

EverydayMiracle
October 19th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Where can you find the white rain? They don't sell it at Walmart (I don't think) which is where I usually buy my hair products.

My hair is oily this morning, by the way. I'm going to have to wash it again today. I'm going to do a CO this evening to get the rest of the oil out of the hair.

Dolly
October 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Where can you find the white rain? They don't sell it at Walmart (I don't think) which is where I usually buy my hair products.

My hair is oily this morning, by the way. I'm going to have to wash it again today. I'm going to do a CO this evening to get the rest of the oil out of the hair.

I find it at Family Dollar and Dollar General in my area.

EverydayMiracle
October 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I think Dollar Tree might have it too. Walmart doesn't even carry V05 conditioners any more, just shampoos, and then they only have about ten of them at any given point in time. It's kind of depressing since that's the brand I prefer.

I'll have to check at Family Dollar when I run out of conditioner. I just bought two bottles but I tend to go through one every week and a half as often as I have to treat my hair.

BrightEyes7
October 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I oil over night.

My question is are you planning on oiling, then putting in a braid/bun for waves tomorrow?

It seems to me if you put oil in tonight, braid, then in the morning you will wash the oil out, you will also rinse out the waves. I may be misunderstanding your question.

But at your length I got great waves from cinnabuns. Have you tried securing the base with a covered elastic before wrapping. That helps me. But your hair may be too fine and slippery.

EverydayMiracle
October 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I do secure the bun at the base, but have not had luck. The outer rolls slip behind the inner rolls. I don't know whether or not that makes any sense at all :(

I oiled last night, conditioned and braided for waves. I wasn't going to wash today but I'm going to have to. I didn't have enough conditioner to get the oil out. I accidentally bought shampoo instead of conditioner :( lol

wanderwoot
October 19th, 2010, 12:21 PM
This is interesting. I don't have the hang of heavy oiling on my length -- even when I try to CO it out. Maybe I don't have the right conditioner for it (Faith in Nature Aloe Vera, which I kinda hate). I always end up washing, and sometimes if I don't wash the length as well I end up with oil still on my length, and having to give in and wash again. I will try putting conditioner on before getting my hair wet next time.