PDA

View Full Version : Sock Bun Help

JuneBride
October 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I have layered APL hair (see sig pic and/or profile albums) and I ordered a donut to make a sock bun which came in the mail today...but I can't -for the life of me- get it to work!

Help Please???

Spike
October 18th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Uhmmmkay, it looks like you’re on the thin side as well as on the short side of long hair.

Is the issue coverage of the donut? If so, you may just need more length so you have something to hide the thing with. I had to get to “can I call this BSL” before I was happy with my sock buns, and I have a little more volume to work with.

Is the issue ends spraying around? You may need a little more length so they stay put.

Those donut thingies are pretty big. You might try the classic sock method with a cheapie trouser sock—but just after you cut off the foot, sew a line vertically along the sock about a quarter of the way from the edge, cut off the smaller side, and roll as for a standard sock rat. This gives you a smaller form (easier to cover) that’s still big enough to get both hair and fingers through.

Happy growing!

JuneBride
October 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Uhmmmkay, it looks like you’re on the thin side as well as on the short side of long hair.

Is the issue coverage of the donut? If so, you may just need more length so you have something to hide the thing with. I had to get to “can I call this BSL” before I was happy with my sock buns, and I have a little more volume to work with.

Is the issue ends spraying around? You may need a little more length so they stay put.

Those donut thingies are pretty big. You might try the classic sock method with a cheapie trouser sock—but just after you cut off the foot, sew a line vertically along the sock about a quarter of the way from the edge, cut off the smaller side, and roll as for a standard sock rat. This gives you a smaller form (easier to cover) that’s still big enough to get both hair and fingers through.

Happy growing!

You are correct all around, too short and too thin for this huge thing. I need to make from an old sock...and grow my hair longer ;) Thank you!!!!!! Back to clips and scrunchies till I get there!

UltraBella
October 18th, 2010, 12:59 PM
My daughter's hair is the exact same length as yours and I can get her hair in a sock bun, but it has to be the actual sock kind. The hair donut things do not work for her either.

Yozhik
October 18th, 2010, 01:04 PM
How are you making your sock bun?

As I understand it the standard way is: 1) make a ponytail; 2) put your donut/sock through the ponytail to rest at the back of your head against your scalp; 3) splay your hair back over the sock, making sure to cover it evenly; 4) use an elastic/scrunchie to secure the hair down around the sock; 5) tuck in any loose ends around the bun.

I tried using one of DBF's sacrificed orphan socks (what does the washer do with them? :confused:) and it ended up being a bit big for a sock bun, so maybe you just need to use a smaller one?

Good luck! You can figure it out! Also check out some youtube tutorials.

Sorus
October 18th, 2010, 01:07 PM
When my hair was shorter I used knee high nylons instead of socks to have a smaller doughnut to cover. This also works well for paired buns on longer hair.

JuneBride
October 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM
When my hair was shorter I used knee high nylons instead of socks to have a smaller doughnut to cover. This also works well for paired buns on longer hair.

I saw this on the net when I was researching, I think you are right and it might work better for me at this stage! Thanks!!!

Konstifik
October 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Maybe this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM) sock bun method could help?
I'm BSL but very thin-haired, so I can't do an ordinary sock bun either. But the linked method works MUCH better!

LouLaLa
October 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM
If you go into search and type "decorative sock buns" I did a sort of article on this in a thread with photos, on page 2 or 3 of the thread there is also a sock bun trouble shoot guide with hints and tips.

Hope it helps!

evampr18
October 19th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Maybe this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM) sock bun method could help?
I'm BSL but very thin-haired, so I can't do an ordinary sock bun either. But the linked method works MUCH better!

I love her tutorials. I definitely achieved the sock bun only, ONLY, after seeing Loepsie's.

evampr18
October 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM

I love her tutorials. I definitely achieved the sock bun only, ONLY, after seeing Loepsie's.