PDA

View Full Version : Thicker hair: has anyone achieved this?

weatherwax
October 18th, 2010, 10:52 AM
So, I used to have pretty thick hair. As a kid I got comments on it all the time. In my twenties, I noticed it had gotten thinner, but didn't pay a lot of attention. I figured this was the difference between adulthood and childhood and didn't worry.

Now I'm worrying. It's not super thin, but I feel like I'm seeing more scalp at my part. I have two questions:

1) Why might this be happening? Age? Headphones? Ponytails?

2) Has anyone successfully thickened up their hair? I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks for your help. I'm okay with going gray, but I'm hanged if I'll sit still for going bald.

aenflex
October 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hormone fluxuations of the normal/age-related type and of the medicinally induced type, traction alopecia, change in products, physical treatment of hair - these all can contribute to thinning. Have you experienced any of these lately?

I have thin hair as in number of total hairs growing out of my scalp, but the texture is also coarse so my hair doesn't appear as thin as it is.
Henna/Indigo has made a noticeable difference in the thickness of my hair. Stripping the hair of buildup can also help. There are product lines that somehow beef up hair's texture, not sure completely how they work but they are out there, strore brand to salon brand.

weatherwax
October 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks! I haven't had any big hormonal changes (read, pregnancy, menopause) recently. I could be having small ones. I'm 37, so it's bound to happen sooner or later.

I'm interested in the henna/indigo. Right now I'm using cassia with 10% henna (I've only done it once so far). How much dye is necessary to change the hair thickness?

Anje
October 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Some degree of thinning with age is normal, but things like anemia, vitamin deficiencies, and hypothyroidism are also common causes for thinning.

If you aren't confident in your diet, you might want to take a multivitamin and consider whether you fit the patterns for anemia or hypothyroidism enough to get checked by a doctor.

Spike
October 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Weirdly enough, castor oil scalp massage is helping. After about six months I have an additional ½ inch circumference when I measure my pony on top of my head, and while bunned I have enough little new hairs to make little new LOCKS in certain light. :cheese:

Now if only I could get my growth rate up . . . although, honestly, anything less than 1 foot per month wouldn’t be fast enough for me. Instant gratification just takes too dadblamed long. :D

aenflex
October 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I used Lush Caca Brun, the entire bar, over the course of 3-4 days. My pony circumference went from 2.5 to 3.0!!! I don't think it's much to do with dyeing of the Henna, I think it's more to do with the properties of Henna in terms of coating/sealing the shaft.

Cleopatra18
October 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I used Lush Caca Brun, the entire bar, over the course of 3-4 days. My pony circumference went from 2.5 to 3.0!!! I don't think it's much to do with dyeing of the Henna, I think it's more to do with the properties of Henna in terms of coating/sealing the shaft.
Is that possible? =O

Niwa
October 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM
My hair used to be thinner, although not thin. Switching from brushing to combing; Protective styling; eating more calories and letting myself gain about 10lbs; and combing less frequently all helped my hair grow in thicker.

jojo
October 18th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Me! by changing my routine since coming on here my thickness has increase one inch to 4.5" I also take vitamins which have 100% helped in thickness, shed and growth and the evidence
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=354&pictureid=29006 me when i first joined and my now picture is in my signature!

CherrySilver
October 18th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Like yourself I had thicker hair in my twenties, especially along the hairline. Since sticking to my daily regime, my hair is very full with lots of new growth and no noticeable whites.

I'm a firm believer in daily scalp massages with topicals, as well as a healthy diet with vitamins, protein shakes and supplements. However, I feel the biggest difference came from doing the daily or 2x/daily massages with an oil or water-based topical.

Anything is better than nothing. Make your own or buy it in a store, your hair will be happier for it!

PiroskaCicu
October 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Like others have said, it may be a nutritional deficiency. I have iron deficiency anemia and this year it got a lot worse, and my hair started to thin out. After taking better care to make sure I get iron everyday, my hair has become thicker again.

GuardGirl
October 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I had a baby in January and have breastfed since then. In April my hair started coming out in gobs and continued shedding terribly for 2 months. I was told it was probably due to hormonal fluctuations, but I had lost 50 pounds by that point and my calorie intake was pretty low. I started doubling up on my prenatal vitamins, started adding GNC UltranourishHair, and drinking daily protein shakes (powder mixed with milk totaling about 28 grams) and making sure my protein intake is 65-75 grams a day. I have TONS of new hair growth now all over my head, especially around my temples at my hairline.
The moral of my story is that even if you are experiencing some hair loss, with excellent nutrition and supplementation you can probably help some of your hair to grow back. It may take a while but don't give up! Good luck!! :)

angelfell
October 18th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I've experienced something like this. I wear a headset at work because my job is, surprise, answering phones! I have it on all day and usually what I do is I slip it on so that it pulls my bangs back, so they won't get in my face. The result? I noticed a little bald patch at my hair line where new hairs are growing in, probably because they broke off from me pulling my hair back with the headset. Not cool.

Anyways, my hair strands are heavy, but overall my hair is thin. I've noticed new hairs growing in everywhere since I've been taking Biotin.. and those hairs I ruined at my bang line are growing back in quickly, as well. Maybe try that? I take a 5mg (5000mcg) tablet daily.

moonkitty
October 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
You asked if thinness could be attributed to ponytail damage and I say an enthusiastic YES!!! I wore my long hair in a ponytail almost daily for YEARS before I realized how much damage I was causing. I had been taking my long hair for granted! Now I am 32 and my hair is so damaged and thin because of it all. Please ladies, JUST SAY NO TO PONIES!:)

Qwackie
October 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hair skin and nails and vitamins helped growth as well as thickness, along with coconut oil and stuff like that.

GuardGirl
October 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Okay, a little bit of a thread hijack but not really. Jojo, I remember seeing you on here when you were kinda first starting to grow your hair out. Its been a while since I really got on here, and I just now realized how AMAZING your hair is. What are some examples of things you have done differently to help your hair get thicker? Just taking vitamins? I'm so impressed with your growth! :)

jojo
October 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Okay, a little bit of a thread hijack but not really. Jojo, I remember seeing you on here when you were kinda first starting to grow your hair out. Its been a while since I really got on here, and I just now realized how AMAZING your hair is. What are some examples of things you have done differently to help your hair get thicker? Just taking vitamins? I'm so impressed with your growth! :)

aww thank you very much, well i follow Bargello's vitamin regime for nearly 4 months now and it has really been a god send. I also oil my ends daily, as my strands are quite fine, so prone to breakage; I also do a deep oil once a week with mustard oil in winter and coconut or morrocanoil in summer.

I dust my ends probably every couple of months and did cut a full inch and half off 4 weeks ago and a full inch has already grown back!

I dont use heat very often, never a hair drier but i do straighten every now and again but I do wear it up most of the time. Oh and I use lush henna brun and marron mixed which really does give instant thickness!

It feels like my hair has took forever to reach this length and from apl to bsl was the slowest growth for me, its just took off from bsl.

Thank you once more for your lovely comment, its grown from 18" to 29" in 38 months so not that quick really and ive probably cut i dunno 5" off in that time!

christine1989
October 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM
My hair is definaty thinner than when I was little but I have had quite a bit of success taking biotin to thicken it up. Although it dosen't do much for growth it does reduce shedding thus thickening my hair. I have also found that taking iron suppliments has helped it regrow in places that have thinned over time.

fairyskyla
October 18th, 2010, 03:46 PM
HI,

Castor oil really helps to thicken hair. You should incorporate that into your hair regimen. I personally lost my edges due to pregnancy, my son is nine months old, since using castor oil they are now growing back and my hair looks thicker. I also rollerset and that has helped my hair sooooooo much. Massages everyday increase blood circulation for hair growth. I do those now and of course patience and more patience. Hope this helps.

Carolyn
October 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Your scalp is genetically programmed to have so many hair follicles growing from it. However you can maximize your growth potential. I've found biotin gives me better quality hair and MSM decreases my shed rate. That means by taking MSM my hair will stay on my head longer. I grew out my layers and my bangs to increase my ponytail circumference. I vary my styles. I don't repeated do the same bun in the same place on my head. I do scalp massages. I make sure I comb or brush gently so I don't yank my hair out. It's all little things. But I think it all helps and it all makes a difference. Of course a healthy diet, plenty of water and exercise all help too.

Sanyia
October 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
When I used Henna, a few years back I noticed my hair was getting thicker. Maybe you can try that?

jojo
October 18th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Your scalp is genetically programmed to have so many hair follicles growing from it. However you can maximize your growth potential. I've found biotin gives me better quality hair and MSM decreases my shed rate. That means by taking MSM my hair will stay on my head longer. I grew out my layers and my bangs to increase my ponytail circumference. I vary my styles. I don't repeated do the same bun in the same place on my head. I do scalp massages. I make sure I comb or brush gently so I don't yank my hair out. It's all little things. But I think it all helps and it all makes a difference. Of course a healthy diet, plenty of water and exercise all help too.
couldnt have wrote this better myself, stuff like henna can also help in swelling the shaft! good reply carolyn x

NicWhite
October 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Like others have said, it may be a nutritional deficiency. I have iron deficiency anemia and this year it got a lot worse, and my hair started to thin out. After taking better care to make sure I get iron everyday, my hair has become thicker again.

I agree, this happened to me as well. Now that I am taking my iron supplements, my hair is starting to thicken up. Your can do the best hair care practices out there, but if you have untreated anemia or thyroid problems, your hair will continue to thin out. :no:

AreWild
October 18th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Another vote for henna! I don't think it helps grow more hair, but it definitely thickens individual hair shafts, and the strengthening effect could help you loose less to damage over time. I gained about a quarter inch on my circumference measurement after a few applications. If you don't want the red, you can always stick to Lush's brunette mixes.

I found fish oil and vitamin D to be a big boost to my overall health even though I eat pretty well. I'm not sure about thickness, but it seems like they do speed my super slow growth to a more normal rate. That may help you if some of the thinning you have is just from damage that needs time to grow out. A general multivitamin, and some additional biotin and MSM might make a big difference too, even if you aren't deficient in anything in particular.

I can't speak from personal experience (just too lazy to do it) but I totally believe that castor oil works.

weatherwax
October 19th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you, thank you, everyone for all of the suggestions!

I'm starting with a plain-old multivitamin (+ calcium + Fish oil) regime, and considering adding Hair Pills of assorted varieties to it. I'm probably not anemic, but I suspect other deficiencies are a possibility. I'm intrigued by the henna, but I'm so happy with the color I'm getting from just 10% henna in my mix that I don't want to mess with it right now. If the other stuff doesn't work in six months or so, I'll go redder . . . or darker . . . or more daring.

In the meantime, I'm massaging my scalp, being gentle with my hair, and starting my own personal challenge: no ponies, no headphones, no tight updos. Call it the "wear it down" challenge ;).

Thanks again! I'll post my progress.

Cheers.

MClass
October 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Weirdly enough, castor oil scalp massage is helping. After about six months I have an additional ½ inch circumference when I measure my pony on top of my head, and while bunned I have enough little new hairs to make little new LOCKS in certain light. :cheese:

Now if only I could get my growth rate up . . . although, honestly, anything less than 1 foot per month wouldn’t be fast enough for me. Instant gratification just takes too dadblamed long. :D

OT: How much growth have you been getting before and now using castor oil? I just started treatments last week and I am excited!

Rocket22
October 19th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Me! by changing my routine since coming on here my thickness has increase one inch to 4.5" I also take vitamins which have 100% helped in thickness, shed and growth and the evidence
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=354&pictureid=29006 me when i first joined and my now picture is in my signature!

WOW WOW WOW! very inspiring Jojo....:cheese:

Spike
October 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM
OT: How much growth have you been getting before and now using castor oil? I just started treatments last week and I am excited!

Growth rate is unchanged. :( I still get about a half-inch in length per month; the big difference is that regrowth/new growth has picked up.

In other words, if my follicles sat around in the resting phase for (guesses wildly) three months before castor, now they hang out and do nothing for say, 6-8 weeks before they start making new hair. I have a totally non-scientific hunch that some of them simply turned off for one reason or another in my mid-20's and something (the massage, the oil, that phase of the moon) has re-activated them.

Best of luck with the castor oil! It may take a while before you see resuts; keep at it!

Avital88
October 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
What is really working for me to thicken my hair is daily 20ml of liquid silica.
I bought it in a health /nature shop 2 months ago and since using it i have sooo many new hairs. They are all just about 2inch now,
But when growing longer it wil really thicken my hair totally

FrannyG
October 19th, 2010, 03:41 PM
My tip is for people with colour treated hair. My circumference was 3 inches for the first two years that I was here at LHC.

In September of '08, after reading a thread started by Ktani about possibly reducing peroxide damage (peroxide is in all permanent hair dyes--even black), I started to coat my hair with coconut oil prior to touching up my roots.

It didn't affect the colour absorption of the dye, but gradually, I noticed that I had less breakage. By the time the hair that had been pre-treated with coconut oil grew to beyond my nape, my nape circumference went to 4 inches, where it remains today, despite the fact that I've cut deeper bangs.

There is literally a definite and palpable difference between the coconut oil treated hair and the hair that is older than that. I can run my hand down my length and actually feel where it suddenly gets thinner; that is almost exactly at what would be the 2 year mark, which is how long I've been using the coconut oil.

I would never again touch up my roots without completely coating my hair with coconut oil. It's made a world of difference.

There's a photo of my braid taken a couple of years ago side-by-side with a more current braid in my public photo album on my profile page, and you can see the difference.

Deelight
October 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM
FrannyG, Do you coat all of your hair or only the previously dyed hair that you want to protect?

FrannyG
October 19th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Well, Deelight, I'm just touching up the roots, but I pretty much coat my hair with coconut oil from root to tip. It doesn't interfere with the dye's effectiveness at all.

weatherwax
October 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Wow--FrannyG, that's amazing.

I'm not coloring my hair with anything but a tiny amount of henna (no peroxide since highlights in Feb). I'm game to try it, but suspect it might keep the henna from sticking to the greys where I want it.

I wonder if the coconut oil would work the same way as part of a massage routine a la Jojo . . . you and she have both gotten fantastic results with your thickening plots.

little_cherry
October 20th, 2010, 11:21 AM
My hair used to be much thicker than it is now, so I'm willing to bet as we age, our hair thins out somewhat. You won't necessarily go bald or anything like that.

I use castor oil after losing 2 inches from my circumference after a hear injury.

Hi, FrannyG, I use coconut oil prior to henna and it's great! Weatherwax, applying coconut oil prior to henna does not interfere with henna in the slightest- I get a more intense stain, actually.

I doubt that using coconut oil before a lush caca would help since that henna is so diluted anyway.

The thickening doesn't happen from henna coating the hair. Henna does not coat the hair...the lawsone binds to the keratin in the hair making it plump. Also, henna leaves a resiny residue on the hair, but this is only temporary and washes out. With the cacas, you're likely getting build up from the cocoa butter.

HairFaerie
October 20th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I have used 100% neem oil on my scalp once or twice a week and sparingly on the shaft of my hair about once a month. I also use TheraNeem shampoo and conditioner. These seem to make my hair feel thicker as well as soft and shiny. Be careful not to put to much in because it is rather heavy.
My hair is thin but I seem to have a lot of it. (if that makes sense.) The neem seems to give the appearance and feel of thicker hair. I have had excellent results with it. If you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot, I suppose.

McFearless
October 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Good digestion is right at the top for healthy hair and a healthy body. You need to be able to absorb all your vitamins and have good circulation to bring the nutrition to your scalp. Hanging upside down for a few minutes, cardio exercise and scalp massages all help.

Naphthylamine
November 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Coconut oil seems to work well. I started applying to my temples and other thin areas on my scalp before shower. I'm doing it for less than a month now; but I noticed tiny baby hairs growing already :)

UP Lisa
March 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM
With age, individual hairs tend to become thinner.

My hair used to be much thicker than it is now, so I'm willing to bet as we age, our hair thins out somewhat. You won't necessarily go bald or anything like that.

I use castor oil after losing 2 inches from my circumference after a hear injury.

Hi, FrannyG, I use coconut oil prior to henna and it's great! Weatherwax, applying coconut oil prior to henna does not interfere with henna in the slightest- I get a more intense stain, actually.

I doubt that using coconut oil before a lush caca would help since that henna is so diluted anyway.

The thickening doesn't happen from henna coating the hair. Henna does not coat the hair...the lawsone binds to the keratin in the hair making it plump. Also, henna leaves a resiny residue on the hair, but this is only temporary and washes out. With the cacas, you're likely getting build up from the cocoa butter.