PDA

View Full Version : how many of you use the metal clippies?

Nenwing
October 17th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Just wondering, since I was thinking about ponytails, how many of you use those metal clips to help hold hair? Are they non damaging?

They look like this:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:lA8sS3Aup5Nu-M:http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8731/ist2190607metalhairbuckkb2.jpg&t=1

If it doesn't show or shouldn't be shown, here is the link if you want to see, the third one down:

http://community.livejournal.com/marble_madness

ravenreed
October 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I use various kinds of things that look like that. Some are damaging, some are not. Occasionally I get some that don't want to let go of the hair near the bend and can pull or snap hairs. However, I like them enough that I keep searching until I find ones that work. These guys are my favorite clips for getting scarves and whatnot to stay.

Sally's clips. (http://www.sallybeauty.com/snap-clip/SBS-424125,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15)

Honestwitness
October 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I use them a lot. Some do grab one hair sometimes, but most are fine. I have pained several sets of these with various colors of nail polish and added a stick-on bauble from the craft store.

TessieAnn
October 17th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Used in the shower after adding condish to my hair. Clip it up while doing the "showerly duties" then let it down to rinse.

I have larger ones with barrette-type colors around the rims of the top for updos.

Haven't seen any damage that can be attributed to the clips. My hair is fine and silky so just about everything else slips right out.

swivelhop
October 17th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have these with the rubber liner on the back. The unlined ones gave me the barrette haircut. They are okay for fly-aways in updos, but not strong enough to hold my hair up otherwise.

manderly
October 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM
If you do use those, don't go cheap. The tip rips my hair out like crazy when I get the ghetto ones.

jeanniet
October 17th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I used to use them all the time, until I realized they were causing tons of broken hairs. Now I just don't use any kind of metal clips or barrettes at all. Try them out carefully and see if they're all right for your hair. I did love them, but my hair didn't.

Dragon
October 17th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I found they cause damage. I find bobby pins work the best for me.

Chestershire
October 17th, 2010, 11:58 PM
are bobby pins damaging?

Katze
October 18th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I use these all the time. They are the only thing that holds my short new growth in place.

are bobby pins damaging?

Not if you are careful with them and open them while putting them into and taking them out of your hair. Many people here do find bobby pins problematic, and I think this is because we are used to just pulling them out of our hair. I have fine hair and use them all the time (since nothing else works like they do) and when I am careful, they are fine.

Sundial
October 18th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I thought these clips cause damage. I used to use them in high school.

Back then I had tons of shorter hair bits around the area where I usually clip back my bangs and I thought they were new growth, but on hindsight it was concentrated mainly around that area and the strands never seem to get longer than that.

A few months ago, my friend was complaining about a certain section of her hair not growing and I suggested that she stop using those clips, I don't know if it's making much of a difference but I noticed she hasn't gone back to using them and she hasn't complained about her hair after she stopped.

Sidenote: I wasn't particularly fond of those metal clippies anyway because they had a tendency to create a deep 'fold' in my hair and that kink refuses to go off until the next wash. I don't know if that kind of 'folding' is harmful to the hair strands, but I refuse to take chances

jojo
October 18th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I prefer bobby clips but as long as there not al cheapo's i think there ok!

Dreams_in_Pink
October 18th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I don't like the sight of clips/bobby pins holding the flyaways. I much prefer to leave it untamed or gel it all back for a sleek look.

Besides, ponytail itself is damaging enough :D Definitely not an everyday style! (unless you want a layer of flyaways at shoulder level!)

Night_Kitten
October 18th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I had such clips at one point, but really didn't like them because they kept catching on my hair...

BelleBot
October 18th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I've never had a problem with those sorts of clips. The only time I've had problems was with very cheap ones where my hair got caught in parts. The ones I currently use have a silicone coating and I've never had any trapped hairs or breakage from them. So as long as you go for the more expensive ones that look well made you should be alright.

CrisDee
October 18th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I have to use them right now for my exercise pony stub, as my hair is too short to get all my hair into the elastic. I don't care for them as they leave the dent in my hair that someone else mentioned above, but never noticed breakage. I personally hate bobby pins, they just slip right out of my hair - and when the plastic-y stuff on the end starts to lift, my hair gets caught under it and ends up getting ripped out.

BrightBlack
October 18th, 2010, 05:26 AM
They seem to slide right out of my hair. I gave up on them years ago LOL For a loooooong time I didn't do more than brush my hair and pull it in to a pony tail. My hair and I had an uneasy truce that relied entirely on a lack of clips, curling irons, dryers and pins.

JenniferNoel
October 18th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I use them with care. They make them with a soft rubber coating and they snag a little less hair that way, but generally if you're gentle when using them you shouldn't experience too bad of damage.
I use them to clip my bangs and temple "side burns" back while they grow, and they work like a charm. They hold like rocks in my hair.

TheStorm
October 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
They are everyday wear for me, I use them to keep the whispy bits in place when I wear a braid or bun.

TrudieCat
October 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I haven't noticed any damage or indentations from using these clips, but my hair is pretty strong-willed. My hair kind of pushes them out after a while. The clips get pushed lower and lower until they've almost fallen out, and then I re-do them. But I like them, and I personally think they look cuter than bobby pins on me.

CaityBear
October 18th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I used to use them but I found they tore at my hair. But they were the cheap, crappy ones (I used them when I was a kid). I only used them to tame flyaways anyway. I much prefer using bobby pins in my hair now.

Sunny_side_up
October 18th, 2010, 11:17 AM
If you do use those, don't go cheap. The tip rips my hair out like crazy when I get the ghetto ones.

I agree, i have altogether stopped using these years ago as when removing them i was getting fed up of hair tearing off with them, seemed to wrap itself round the little circular area of the pointy end of the clip, believe they gave me a tatty front section of hair :suspect: since i gave up on them i have a neat and even healthy looking front part of my hairline:)

Spike
October 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I use them for accents, but not to hold hair. I have a “cameo” trimmed clippie toy in my hair as I type this, drawing attention to a cinnabun. (Waves to Nightshade, from whom I purchased the clippie, no affiliation etc. etc.)
Metal doesn’t seem to cause damage to my hair, but I try to be careful. When the plastic bits on the bobby pins go, the pins get tossed, I don’t put clippies in every day or in the same place, I don’t use anything that can saw at the hair.
Years ago, I received a set of bone screws from a buddy recovering from a broken leg—eight inches of shiny surgical steel with threading at one end. Washed the business end with alcohol and boiled them so they were spandy clean again, and wore them as hairsticks . . . until I noticed some breakage where the sharp threading were tearing as they went in and out. Buh-bye.
I miss them. They were so cool and industrial. If I could lay hands on another set, I’d probably grab a Dremel and grind off the problematic threading.

Charlotte:)
October 18th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I use them to hold my bangs back when I wash my face at night and to smooth down the little lumpy-bumpies I get when my hair is in a ponytail (which isn't often because it has gotton too heavy). Usually they are fine, but sometimes they get caught and rip my hair. I would use bobby pins, but they slide right out :(

ddiana1979
October 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I use one nearly every day to tuck my side swept "bangs" (which are now at chin length) to the side. i haven't noticed any damage with the ones I currently have (very smooth metal), but the previous brand had a little metal circle at the tip that stuck out slightly & always broke a hair or two. So obviously, I trashed those.

tinti
October 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I use them a lot. Some grab on to one hair in the pointi tip, but most are fine. I really like the bigger h&m kind.

ooo
October 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I use them too. The part of my hair, that used to be my fringe is extra curly (type 4) and very frizzy. In order to minimize the frizz I always twist this part and secure it with one of those pins.