PDA

View Full Version : Nasty bun waves?

queenofhair
October 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I have had this deal with my hair for about 3 years, where I will put my hair up in a bun a lot and I will get these bun waves that look like dread locks. They're really unsightly, and I was wondering if anyone knows any way to prevent or get rid of them.:D

Bene
October 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Finger combing seems to break up the dredlock look.

spidermom
October 17th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Most buns give me pretty waves/curls, but I tend to do them rather loosely, which means that I re-do them a lot, but I can't stand anything tight. If you do a tight bun, try to loosen up a little.

princessp
October 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I get those too. I have no good solution, but will be interested in what others say.

Sister13
October 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Don't bun wet hair. Dry or damp hair cuz the twisting make the natty dredlocks.

pepperminttea
October 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I really quite love bun and braid waves, and often I'll oil my hair lightly when it's half-way dry after a wash and then bun/braid it purely for the waves. I find the oil stops it becoming tangly and too-dry (and dreadlock-ish) for me, and ditto Bene on the finger-combing to soften things up a bit. You can get a quite beautiful effect, especially with French or Dutch braids.

Do you want it to be straight or is do you just specifically dislike tangly waves (rather than waves generally)? :)

Athena's Owl
October 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
sounds like you have very dry ends. work on giving them more moisture and protection.

you might als want to take your bun down, brush/comb it, oil the ends, and re-do.

Melisande
October 17th, 2010, 11:28 PM
A LWB gives no bun waves, neither do a logroll or a French twist. Try to find buns that you don't have to twist.

I like bun waves! They never last in my hair, though :-(

queenofhair
October 18th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I like it wavy or straight, just not when the waves are all matted.

Pixna
October 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I would suggest doing a bun that does not require twisting, such as a LWB or a Pencil Bun. Only bun with dry hair, and comb your hair thoroughly before bunning and after you take out your bun.

Anne~
October 18th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I like my bun waves! It does not matter if my hair is bunned up wet or dry I still get them. :pumpkin:
This image is my hair with bun waves. I just unbunned and ran my fingers through it to pouf it out.

http://www.sullyswebdesigns.com/lhc/cadence2.jpg

KittyLost
October 18th, 2010, 08:46 AM
At least you can achieve some kind of wave after a bun ;)

Fairlight63
October 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Anne, your hair is so beautiful!!
What bun do you think gives the best curls or waves?

Spike
October 19th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I unbun, comb it out, and then either use a banana comb or faux pony to display the waves and wurls.

Looks like the "bedhead look" salons put forth that only take six different products, a blow-out, flat ironing, and a curling iron to achieve.

princessp
October 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I am not one who can really brush my hair, but maybe next time I get the bun dreads I will try this with a wide tooth comb.

Totally unrelated, but Spike do you have a Chinese Crested? They are gorgeous!

Anne~
October 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Anne, your hair is so beautiful!!
What bun do you think gives the best curls or waves?

Thank you! The only bun I know how to do is just a simple cinnamon bun I guess. I never comb or brush between washings so my hair always looks weird. :rolleyes: