PDA

View Full Version : Argh, bored with my hair!

Maverick494
October 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hey guys,

I've been on and off LHC for a while (when I stop concentrating on my hair I make the most progress, it seems.)

Anyway, I'm bored with the colour. My natural haircolour is something between dark ash blonde and light ash brown. Really mousy and boring. I used to dye it light blonde and though that colour looked great, my tresses were complaining (god, the dead ends I had to chop off...) Anyway, I dyed it back to this chestnut brown colour in februari and let it grow out since then. But now I'm bored. I've pondered henna-ing it, but since I'm the kind of person who gets bored easily I figured that might not be such a great idea because it's so permanent.

Everyone keeps saying how much better I looked as a blonde and I kinda agree with them. The problem is that it damages hair. Now, since I've obviously gone from brown to blonde before I know a way to minimize damage (I just dye it 2 shades lighter with an ammonia free dye, wait 4 weeks while deep conditioning and babying my hair and repeat the process until I get the desired colour) it's still damaging. Anyone have an idea on what to do?

I want to like my own haircolour as that is the best thing when it comes to healthy hair, but I'm just so bored with it. I've also seen another girl with the exact same haircolour I have (she has tailbone length hair) and I kept thinking she should get a casting colour or henna it because the colour is so friggin boring.

Yozhik
October 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I just looked at your profile -- is that your haircolor when you dyed it darker brown? It's very pretty. :flower:

Maybe you could try honey/cinnamon lightening or lemon rinses to naturally lighten your hair? Or henna glosses, which I think are not as noticeable/permanent.

Or maybe you just need to concentrate on something else, like new updos and the like. I know with some people as their hair gets longer, they get a lot more color variation and highlights -- maybe all you need to do is wait and your natural color will become more vibrant or something you like more.

Hope you can find a way to ease your current boredom!

joyxo
October 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I agree with Yozhik, try doing the lemon rinse. You could also look into using Sun-In, which gives natural highlights using the sun. You can use a blowdryer since its getting colder, but its worth a shot!

Heartwillfollow
October 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM
and try the oil soak before you lighten or color and see if that helps deter damage. :)

punkcatknitter
October 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Oh, I feel your pain. My natural color is a darker blonde (much lighter when I was a kid) and I lightened it through my early teens. I think that was the only time I liked blonde hair, when it was bleached to oblivion. Then I experimented with dyes and had red, brown, black and once for a short time, a color I like to call 'little mermaid red' (man I wish I had pictures).

When I decided to grow my hair out, my hair was black, and I stripped as much of that out (revealing the reds underneath) as I could, destroying my hair, and was determined to do the natural thing. But I realized I didn't really like my hair color. Actually, I don't really like blonde hair. Sometimes I see blond's and admire their hair, but usually I admire the brunettes or redheads.

Anyway (don't mind my ramble it's late and my brain is turning to mush) last week I decided I'd had it with the blonde thing and henna'd. I LOVE it. I'll never do boxed color again and I doubt I'll be blonde again for a loooong time. I don't know if any of that helps but if you ever want to complain about your hair color feel free to pm me. lol.

Maverick494
October 21st, 2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! How does the naturally lightening process go? What recipe do I need? (for the honey/cinnamon and lemon) ? Are there any pics of people with succes using that method?

Khiwanean
October 21st, 2010, 06:27 AM
The honey thread can be found here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148&highlight=honey+lightening). You might want to search it for the new dilution or ask ktani (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=1381) for the link. I'm sure there are recipes to be found there that contain cinnamon as well as picture of people's results. Honey often takes quite a few treatments to make a noticeable difference, but it does lighten. Some people's hair lightens more easily with honey - and ostensibly anything else - than others.

I couldn't find anything specifically on using lemon to lighten hair (other than that it can lighten hair), but I will add a link if/when I find something. Here (http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=42890)'s the best thread on lightening with lemon that I could find.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 21st, 2010, 06:34 AM
How about getting a few blonde highlights here and there, at a salon? Only little part of your hair would be damaged that way.