PDA

View Full Version : So tempted, but conflicted.......

UltraBella
October 17th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hi All,
I am trying to resist getting in my car and driving to the store and buying some Semi or Demi color to slap on my hair. I miss the copper red color I had for five years. I miss it terribly all of a sudden !
I got really sick of my ashy roots vs copper red and needing to refresh it all the time and I have worked really hard to have hair that I do not need to color every few weeks. Now that I have almost achieved being back to natural, I am bored. It's just not as pretty. I miss the vibrancy, the color. The wow factor.
But, I don't want to do anything I will regret. Demi color tends to not wash out on me, which was great when I wanted to keep the copper red. It lasted a very long time. But my hair grows quickly and the roots are noticeable in a short amount of time. *sigh*
I know many of you do not dye your hair, but many of you do use Henna, and I would like to know if the root regrowth bothers you. How often do you refresh ? Any regrets ? I am too chicken to henna but I think it is beautiful.
Anyone else think your natural color is blah ?
I have pics of both colors in my hair album, any opinions of what suits me best ?

mariika
October 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I think your natural hair suits you better. Copper is so bright and catches the eye but when your hair colour is tuned down attention goes to your face and it somehow looks so much better! Your natural colour is in now, btw. Just look at the runway models. They all have this ashy blonde I am so jealous of. I have this colour myself but due to the fact that my hair is so darn fluffy, and weights nothing, and is basically see-through, AND gets bleached by the sun severely (especially after I helped it with lemon *guilty*), I don't look ashy (unfortunately). Ashy is chic.

ETA:

P.S. I often think my natural colour is blah. But people say they love it. I look at pictures of me and love it. Next day I look at the same picture and hate it. And then I look in the mirror and love it. Or hate it. But when I coloured it with a semi perm dye I loved it for a couple days and then hated it again. It's not the hair, IT'S THAT I NEED TO TALK TO A THERAPIST. :D

Carolyn
October 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM
The grass is always greener isn't it :D I love my ashy hair and fight to keep the red away.

skaempfer
October 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hi, Ultrabella. Sorry you're unhappy with your hair today. I have used henna and love it- my hair is slightly red so I used Logona "natural red" to intensify. I loved the color, and it does fade a bit over time, but the grow line is there. Not obvious unless you're looking for it, but there. The reason I quit is the greys and whites are coming, and that will make the line more obvious, which I don't want.

I think your natural color is lovely, and the red is nice too. :)

I'll just throw this out there; I used an apple cider vinegar rinse on my daughter a grand total of twice (she has long, curly, light brown/dark blond hair) and was stunned at the red glow it took on. After that, we went on holiday and I left the vinegar at home, and it faded completely. This might work on your hair, if you are looking for something less committal? Everyone's hair reacts differently, but it might be worth a try.

Mariika, you always crack me up. You do know your hair is gorgeous, don't you? :laugh:

UltraBella
October 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I guess my issue is, I never want to have virgin hair. I still highlight and lowlight to combat the ashy blahness. But with foiling a few highlights in and a warmer tone, the foils do not leave the line of demarcation. So, I still have maintenance, I can just go much longer in between.But I miss the all over copper loveliness.
Not one person in real life has said they like my natural hair color better. Everyone else misses the red too.
Apple cider vinegar huh ? Hmmmm.............. *grabs car keys and dashes off to store*

sibiryachka
October 17th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Root regrowth is why I feel the need to refresh about every 4 weeks, largely because the white/silvers *really* show against the henna. If not for them, and if the color difference were less dramatic, I could probably go 8 weeks or so.
From your post, it sounds like you're having a phase of boredom, which I can totally relate to, but oh my stars, henna is not a good solution to that! Especially after you put so much time and energy into getting your natural color back.

UltraBella
October 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Ya, that's why I said I am too chicken to Henna. But I know henna heads go through regrowth issues, so just wondering how everyone deals with it.
I am definitely bored. I cut some bangs last week hoping that would cure me, but no. I like my bangs, they look great, but I keep thinking they might look even better copper red ;)

LouLaLa
October 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Looking at your responses I think you know you want to do it. So I have to say go with your gut, its your hair and you have to be happy so why not do it. Hair though we look after it is meant to be a pleasure and if this brings you pleasure do it.

As so many say, we arent here to decorate others worlds so just be do what you really want :)

Yozhik
October 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I looked through your album, and I have to say I like both of your hair colors! :flower:

It's really up to you in the end what you decide.

When I used to dye my hair red over my dark brown hair in high school it showed up mostly only in the sunlight, so the demarcation was not a problem at all for me, and I usually went half a year or so between colorings. Not that this really applies to your situation . . .

cindy58
October 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I love the copper color on you. It's the next step up the gorgeous ladder for you in my eyes.

spidermom
October 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Couldn't you have some copper color threaded through? My daughter has this - her natural medium golden blonde with light blonde highlights and redwood lowlights. It's quite pretty, and no obvious grow-out lines.

Then there are temporary colors like the Manic Panic that you asked about in another thread. You could redden up and let it gradually fade out.

GrowingGlory
October 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
A rinse of tea, herbs and spices could provide temporary color. You could also mix ground spices with oil and apply it or use fruit juice as a leave in rinse. My suggestions include using cinnamon sticks to make small buns all over your head (can do after oiling for more intense color change), rinsing your hair with hibiscus/rose hip tea (Celestial Seasonings "Zinger" teas), or mixing freshly ground nutmeg with oil (can add honey) and painting it on your hair. Good luck!

triumphator!
October 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM
But you already have the wow factor! LOOK AT YOUR MANE UB. It's gorgeous.

UltraBella
October 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Thank you, triumphator, that was very sweet !
Spidermom, that is what I have now really. My natural with some highlights and some copper red foiled through. But honestly, my natural color is so ashy that they really don't compliment each other. On your daughter, with her medium golden blonde, I bet it looks lovely. I am a level 6 or 7 super ash blonde. They just don't go well together.
I thought about the Manic Panic but the red shades really aren't what I am looking for. I am considering a Demi color again. Hello roots !

LisaJaney
October 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Henna's great. It washes out just gradually enough that I never have noticed my roots at all. (semi-perm haircolor is perm on me, too) If you like coppery red, give henna a go and see what you think of that!

strwbrry dakri
October 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Have you thought of a henna gloss? I did that a few times, and it did fade a little bit with time. It didn't give quite the intensity of my last application, which was 3/4 henna 1/4 cassia, more or less.

You have stunning hair, whatever color you settle on.

christine1989
October 17th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I know how you feel! Henna is so pretty and I would love to dye my hair a dark red shade. My hair color is a bit one dimentional and "blah" but I know that if I dyed it I would have to deal with the constant touch ups which are expensive and time consuming. For me it just isn't worth the effort. :( Besides, I can't see why you would ever want to change your color- it is lovely!

Oskimosa
October 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Have you thought of a henna gloss? I did that a few times, and it did fade a little bit with time. It didn't give quite the intensity of my last application, which was 3/4 henna 1/4 cassia, more or less.

You have stunning hair, whatever color you settle on.

I second this. You've already been thinking about henna, and you could ease into it. If you don't like it, you could always tone it down with a semi or demi permanent medium or dark blonde.

LaurelSpring
October 17th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I cant really comment too much. I just did a full on straight out henna because I missed the beautiful stunning red. I have toned down my mix with cassia for like forever to look more natural and then last week I just out of the blue couldnt stand it anymore and mixed up a big batch of punjabi, put it on at 10 pm and had to wait until 2am to wash it out. Talk about impulsive. However....I LOVE IT!! No regrets. I feel like a total hair knockout again.

UltraBella
October 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I have a strand test on my head RIGHT NOW !! I ran to the store and bought the Garnier Fructis Herbashine color I have been contemplating, # 645 copper mahogany brown. It's a demi color that lasts 28 shampoos. On me that is forever. I did an initial strand test to see if my virgin roots would end up the same color as my length and I only left it on the recommended 10 minutes. The color is gorgeous ! ****BUT**** I realize with all my hair that if I put this on my whole head, the section where I start first will be on much much longer than 10 minutes once I finish the application. So I am doing strand test # 2 at this very moment and leaving it on 30 minutes, trying to be realistic. The box says that if you do not respect the 10 minute processing time the color may go very dark. So, I am kind of anxious.
And it says if your hair is long or thick, you may need two boxes. I bought four and I honestly don't know if that would be enough to saturate my entire head. When you mix it up it only makes 4oz of product !! Who's hair would that cover ???!!! So, I have 16oz of color and I am thinking I may need more. I can't risk not having enough. I will wait my time for this strand test and then go from there. Wish me luck !!!

Dolly
October 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Good luck! I think the copper red is gorgeous by the way.....I am a chemical dye user as well.....my natural color is dark brown, and VERY boring....nothing brings my hair alive like the red! Everybody who knows me well says that the red not only suits my face better, but my personality as well.....I say have what you want.....it is your hair, after all!

LisaJaney
October 17th, 2010, 07:11 PM
...it up it only makes 4oz of product !! Who's hair would that cover ???!!!

Mine, with product left to spare. :(

klcqtee
October 17th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Hm...The handy thing about henna, specifically glosses, is that they tend to fade a little, so regrowth is less noticeable...at least on my hair, but mine is quite a bit darker, so I'm not sure if that's true of everyone, especially with hair as light as yours. I must say, your hair in your profile is absolutely stunning! and so is the hair in your avatar. the copper does have a lot of spark, but if you naturally have ashy hair, most ash toned people need quite a bit of make up or at least lipstick to bring a little attention back to their face and not look so washed out. Your face is lovely, and honestly I think the copper hair, while beautiful, might take attention away from some of your best features.

Lisa R
October 17th, 2010, 08:33 PM
All I want for Christmas is UltraBella Hair, UltraBella Hair, Oh UltraBella Hair!! he he he:) For some reason that song just came into my mind.

You really do have drop dead gorgeous hair natural and dyed. I know you will make the right choice for you and your hair what ever that choice is!

Can't wait to see what you do!

McFearless
October 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I like your hair best in photo 20 in your hair album. I think one henna application should get you to a copper-red. That would make root touch up easy. Once you layer henna 5 times on your length does root touch ups become complicated.

Regardless you have to really think about it. Henna is permanent. You could always try Manic Panic to satisfy your need for change.

UltraBella
October 17th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Second strand test is definitely darker than the first one !! But, I like it.......... Here I go, whole head !!!!!!!!!! *EEK* please let it be gorgeous :)

HereIGrowAgain
October 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM
OH! Do let us know how it came out! I used this exact same color and product about 2 weeks ago. My hair is a much darker brown, though, so I'm sure yours is going to come out a brighter red. My hair *grabs* on to color, perms, foam rollers, whatever the heck I put in or on it, and this color is fading very gently. You can see my album for the photos I took... the day or two after?

ETA: The camera did NOT catch the intensity of the red I ended up with. The color it looks in the photo is much closer to how it looks in person today, but still darker brown than in real life.

Katurday
October 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Lady, you never once said you think the copper is blah and you get sick of it - you just hate the upkeep. I suggest you copper it up then, cause life is short, and you are young and beautiful! Just grit your teeth on the upkeep, us hennaheads do too.

punkcatknitter
October 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM
This thread cracked me up. You sound like me. I kept my blonde hair natural for two years and gave up and henna'd last week. I was going for a gloss but that extra tablespoon kicked it up several notches, lol. Can't wait to see your new color, I bet it'll look amazing!

UltraBella
October 18th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I DID IT !!!!!! And I love it !!!! Pictures are in new thread...... entitled "Back to coppery red and BANGS !!" here on the mane forum. Check them out if you would like :)

I just want to say to klcqtee, I think I am the absolute opposite when it comes to most ashy haired people. I look washed out with my natural color but you put the copper tone on me and my skin and eyes come alive. I should have been born a redhead, darn it !
Thanks everyone for the help, suggestions and support. Now go look at my new hair ;)

Konstifik
October 18th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I am EXACTLY in your position right now. My hair is natural ash-gold-brown-blonde, and for five years I had it copper red (with henna). Last year I decided to grow out, just to check on my natural colour and to not having to redo the roots anymore. But here I am now, with a boring natural colour and missing the fiery, vibrant copper red.

Last week I ordered a batch of Yemeni henna.

What made my decision final is the fact that I could either choose to cringe every time I look in the mirror and see my boring natural colour, year after year of pondering dye vs. no dye.

Or I could go back to exciting experiments and no longer having to do the endless waiting of growing out natural.

My dream hair has always been a light golden blonde. But to achieve that, I have to use bleach and box dyes which scares me alot.

My second dream hair is fiery red, which can easily be achieved by henna...

So, think about your priorities and possible alternatives. How does your dream hair look like? Can you achieve it? If not, your second dream hair? :)
Is it worth pondering about this for a while, or have you already made your decision but you just don't... Want to do it?

podo
October 18th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I was just about to comment on this, but I see you already did it...

I read the first page, then looked at your album. You look so much happier with the red. You are vibrant in those pictures - not your hair, YOU. (Your hair is vibrant as well, but it could be in your natural color too - if you were.)

Now I'll zip back to the forum home and see if I can catch your new look!