PDA

View Full Version : Is this good growth?

kristymarie87
October 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
This is my hair 30 May 2010 -

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/IMG00270-20100530-1042.jpg
Apologies for the lighting! This was when i straightened most days if not blow-dried. I also just did shampoo and condish daily. Coloured my hair alot too!

This is my hair as of today (17 October 2010) -

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/LiveDieBleed87/7.jpg
It isnt wet it has just been straightened (1st time in over a week :D) It has hairspray to mess it up a bit.....seemed to fail!

I have had 2 trims inbetween. They were both microtrims, the last was not taking any from the length but cutting into the ends to make them less blunt. I have coloured my hair twice with a semi, cut straighteners down to once per week and am doing deep condish treatments. I also now CWC everyday (my hair doesnt like stretching washes) and let it dry naturally most days.

Is this good growth for 5 months? I only aim to get to BSL which is why i havent full given up heat. It was so quick to get from chin to shoulder (before i started taking pics) but it seems to be taking ages now!

spidermom
October 17th, 2010, 12:40 PM
You've had reasonable growth, I think.

nemileo
October 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I think it looks like a good growt. How much could it be? Maybe 3-3 1/2 inches? Maybe more? It is hard to tell since one of the pictures is bigger than the other. I think your hair looks lovely though! It looks strong and healthy :)

jojo
October 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Yes I think you have had good growth looks over 3 inches to me, so just under an inch a month is pretty good!

GoddesJourney
October 17th, 2010, 01:45 PM
With trims? Yes.

JuneBride
October 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
YES! :thumbsup: Very Good Growth!

Keep it up, don't cut!!!

Say no to :scissors: !!!

Practice some benign neglect ;)

GuardGirl
October 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Average growth is 1/2" per month, and it looks like 2.5" of growth. Not super fast, but a noticeable difference nonetheless. Not that you want my two cents, but you would probably notice significantly more growth if you gave up the straightener. I know, I know, it's hard to do.

The thing about it is that right now you are still seeing progress, but the older your ends get, the more damage they will sustain over the course of the journey to BSL. If you are at, say, 19" now and you need to get to 25-26" for a full BSL, that is 6-7" of growth you have to achieve. If it takes you 5 months to grow 3 inches, it will take 10-12 months to reach your goal with no trims. Imagine how much damage you will do to your hair even only flat ironing it once a week- thats 52 times that your ends will be scorched with a heat tool! It may not hit you now, but the more you damage your ends, the more frequent trimming you will require. Thus, it will take you even longer to grow out. Just food for thought!

It sounds like you are doing some great things for your hair. Cutting down on the amount of heaet styling you do is a plus, and deep conditioning treatments are great! Keep up the great work! :)

Dragon
October 17th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Since you have also trimed, it does look like good growth.

freckles
October 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM
That looks like really great growth to me, especially with trims :)

Jezerellica
October 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
From May of 2010 to now, it looks like decent growth to me. Including trims too. Keep in mind flat ironing is serious damage. I know how hard it is to stop, believe me. I think you would be happier in the long run if you could like your natural hair. = ) JMO, of course.

McFearless
October 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Are the trims absolutely necessary?

<3OnHerSleeve
October 17th, 2010, 08:55 PM
much faster growth than me, not to mention you've trimmed it as well!!! keep up the good haircare, your hair is gorgeous :)

kristymarie87
October 18th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Average growth is 1/2" per month, and it looks like 2.5" of growth. Not super fast, but a noticeable difference nonetheless. Not that you want my two cents, but you would probably notice significantly more growth if you gave up the straightener. I know, I know, it's hard to do.

The thing about it is that right now you are still seeing progress, but the older your ends get, the more damage they will sustain over the course of the journey to BSL. If you are at, say, 19" now and you need to get to 25-26" for a full BSL, that is 6-7" of growth you have to achieve. If it takes you 5 months to grow 3 inches, it will take 10-12 months to reach your goal with no trims. Imagine how much damage you will do to your hair even only flat ironing it once a week- thats 52 times that your ends will be scorched with a heat tool! It may not hit you now, but the more you damage your ends, the more frequent trimming you will require. Thus, it will take you even longer to grow out. Just food for thought!

It sounds like you are doing some great things for your hair. Cutting down on the amount of heaet styling you do is a plus, and deep conditioning treatments are great! Keep up the great work! :)

Its about 3-3.5 inches of growth, i think the angles are quite different.

I know giving up the striaghtener altogether would help alot but it looks so terrible without it and i figure i want to feel confident and love my hair so once per week isnt that bad. I usued to do it everyday and my hair never had any splits so i dont mind. Plus i will keep having regular trims - it may take longer to grow but i can deal with that since i am getting rid of any damage.

As its getting longer its getting easier to manage anyway and i predict that by the timi i am APL it will be ok not to striaghten anyway. I only striaghten because its a bit flicky and thats what i hate. As its getting thicker and heavier and the layers are growing its getting easier to manage. Theres still hope for me yet!! I will probably give up the heat then :D

kristymarie87
October 18th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Are the trims absolutely necessary?

Yes due to my heat styling and i like to have an even hemline :D

KittyLost
October 18th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Great growth with trims, imagine the growth you could have without the scissors ;)

jera
October 18th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I think it's good growth considering the trims, and your hemline is just awesome. Looks good to me. :) I found that length particularly frustrating when I was first growing because there are so few landmarks.

Prettyeyes23
October 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I think your growth looks great! That stage of growing your hair out is so fun...you seem to notice growth a lot more than you do past bsl, imo!

aenflex
October 18th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I'm only being honest when I say that I thought perhaps you had a few somewhat signifigant trims between May and Oct...Unless I've just got really fast growing hair - it's my only basis for comparison. Looks like you grew what, about 2, 2.5 inches? Still good growth.

kristymarie87
October 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I'm only being honest when I say that I thought perhaps you had a few somewhat signifigant trims between May and Oct...Unless I've just got really fast growing hair - it's my only basis for comparison. Looks like you grew what, about 2, 2.5 inches? Still good growth.

The angle is quite decieving, its about 3 - 3.5. I get trims every 9 weeks so i may have missed a couple, was trying to remember the date. It grew alot and then all of a sudden slowed down for a while, i think it has random spurts!