PDA

View Full Version : shedding hair everywhere

mommy2one05
May 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I need help or advice, please! I am shedding hair everywhere...in my bathtub or shower, bathroom floor, living room floor, etc. I have two small children and dont want them playing on the floor when there is hair on the floor..and I do clean, i am not a dirty person. Also I think this may be part of the reason why our vaccuums are messing up frequently. Any ideas? Do others have this type of problem too?

Gulbahar
May 27th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Don't you wear your hair up? This helps a lot usually. ;)

kimki
May 27th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I have times when I shed so much. I usually just wear my hair up 95% of the time.

mommy2one05
May 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I wear my hair loose some but normally on days when I am going somewhere.
I normally due a loose ponytail or braid, sometimes an updo.

lora410
May 27th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I think I could make a hair rat out of all the hair I see; esp my bathroom floor.I second the wear the hair up. Usually I massage scalp at night and then then brush all the loose hairs out.

mommy2one05
May 27th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I am still not very good at an updo...I can do the chinese bun, but I normally prefer that for church and I dont care for hair sticks. Other than that I can do a sock bun and a bee butt scrunchie bun and of course a braided bun. Would braids help contain the hair more? So even after taking the hair down or out then there will still be shedded hairs?

Gulbahar
May 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Well, of course there will be shedded hair because you always shed. But the hair won't fall out of the braid. So if you take out the braid at the end of a day you can just collect every shedded hair and throw it away instead of shedding it all over the place during the day. Massaging regularly also helps because you shed more for a moment and won't lose as much hair in the following hours.

hurricane_gia
May 27th, 2008, 11:50 AM
There are a lot of threads here on the board about preventing your hair from shedding as much, and I think they can be summed us as this: some people massage their scalps with special oils, other people put monostat on their scalps, and then there are people who take special vitamins. You could probably find the threads where these methods are discussed.

But, everybody sheds. As your hair gets longer, the hairs you have shed are "bigger" and more noticeable. Ten short hairs looks like a lot less hair than ten very long hairs, so even though you've only lost ten hairs, it looks like a lot. Make sense?

If what you are experiencing is normal shedding behavior, and your scalp is healthy and your diet is nutritious, then maybe all you can do about the shedding is try to contain it.

Braids are great. Braided buns are even greater. Be aware that the average head sheds something like 50 hairs a day. If your hair is in braids, those 50 hairs are still going to shed, but they can't fall out of your braid until you unbraid it. So there you will be, getting ready for bed, and as you comb out your hair you will think, "I'm going bald! I just lost 50 hairs in five minutes!!" Don't panic, that's normal. Those 50 hairs have been waiting there all day. :)

Saranne772
May 27th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Dont I just know the feeling. Its not really preventable though

connie
May 27th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about, I've been shedding like mad for months now. I have two small kids too. And yes, it hurts the vacuums...every now and then, we just have to sit down with a big pair of scissors and cut the hair off that brush-spinny-thing on the vacuum.

I've found that keeping it up helped prevent me shedding all over the house. I only brush/detangle standing in the same spot in the bathroom, so the bulk of the shedding occurs there. That part of the bathroom is carpeted. I always use a carpet rake in that room before & in between vacuuming, it really helps alot. I think you can pick up a carpet rake at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Of course, shedding always looks worse than it probably is when your hair is real long. I was really getting sick of finding 3 foot long hairs all over the place, but I don't mind it as much at a shorter length.

AJoifulNoise
May 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I shed all over, too. It seems as though it's worse this spring (I think I'm shedding my winter coat lol). The only thing that helps me is to wear it up more. I know you don't know that many styles you're happy with, but the only way to learn more is to try more.

As for the vaccums. Do you flip it over and clean the hair out of the beater brush thing? I have to do that each time I vaccum.

angelthadiva
May 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I'd add another vote for more updos and try to only mess with your hair in designated places...That should contain your hair to those sections of the house.

We entertain quite a lot and it's my fear that a guest will find my hair in something...Therefore, I keep my hair up most of the time anyway, but especially when I'm cooking...I limit hair styling to the upstairs bathroom and our bedrooms, cleaning out the brushes and combs on a regular basis.

Our vacuums clog a lot, you just have to clean them out more often...I have a Dyson bagless and I love it!

Quite honestly, I don't have hair all over my house...I see people with pets having more of an issue w/hairs than I do. HTH :flower:

lora410
May 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I am still not very good at an updo...I can do the chinese bun, but I normally prefer that for church and I dont care for hair sticks. Other than that I can do a sock bun and a bee butt scrunchie bun and of course a braided bun. Would braids help contain the hair more? So even after taking the hair down or out then there will still be shedded hairs?

I can't do many updo's either. I usually do a cinnamon twist; eventhough I dont make more then one loop. It lays flat and then I can clamp it with my ficcare or use a stick to hold it. Either that for a french twist. I can do sockbuns, and a few simply hair styles but thats it. You don't have to be master at it to put it up :)...p.s I cant do a decent braided bun to save my life ;)

Kirin
May 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Up-do's and me are not friends and never were. Because of this and to contain the shed everywhere like another pet in the house, I've resorted to simpler methods that are reserved for us whom the updo is illusive.

Smooth seamed bannana clips and claw clips have been a godsend. Large Barettes, where i can twist, and clip work even better. Braids work good, as does the double pony, one higher up than the other then braided on the length keep my hair out of my face and out of the shed zone.

Yes, when you take it out you will shed, so do it in a designated easier to clean area, such as the bathroom where it can be swept instead of vaccuumed.

The shower drain though is where my baby furbie usually ends up. I just swipe the hairy creature with toilet paper and flush.

Bonny
May 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
The problem in my house is that it's DD who sheds all over the place. I have to admit I don't vacuum as much as I should :o but really, she sheds a LOT. She refuses to wear her hair in updos.

If I get her to brush thoroughly a couple of times a day, do you think that will help keep her hair from travelling all through the house?

Tap Dancer
May 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless your hair is coming out in clumps or something. Seasonal shedding is normal and that's probably what you're seeing right now.