PDA

View Full Version : Help me save my hair!

kitten1986
October 17th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Hi everyone, so I have been looking after my hair alot, no more straightening, blowdrying , rough handling etc
but... I went on holiday and it RUINED my hair!!!
I have been in Bali for 2 weeks and all of the chlorine, sun, pool, spa, surf etc have made my hair an unrecognisable mess :S

Its SUPER dry and poofy and knotty at the nape, and it feels like straw, my end seem really split and horrid. Part of the problem is that I cant find any good conditioner and I think the shampoo here at the hotel is really harsh.

I went to the Balinese salon the other day and had a treatment called "creambath" which helped a little, it made my hair super shiny and it felt in better condition, but that only lasted till I went back in the pool :(

So what can I do ... specifically to fix it? I REALLY dont want to have to cut it off but I am open to a small trim to fix the splits if I have to

TIA

RadiantNeedle
October 17th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Can you find some coconut oil?
Put about a fingernail's worth through your lengths after you soak your hair in clean, non-chlorinated water, then braid your hair. This should, I think, protect it somewhat from the chlorine and salt. You might need to wear a swim cap if you're really worried about damage.

Venefica
October 17th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Get a very mild shampoo, do not use the one you get at the hotel. Find a very moisture giving conditioner, I like the Define silk products. Also get yourself a bathing cap, keep your hair out of salt water and chlorine filled pools, and when you are going out in sunny weather wear a hat of some sort to protect your hair.

Juanita
October 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I take my shea butter with me put some on my hands and run though my hair before swimming and wash out after swimming. I also put some in after washing.
Are you staying in Kuta? Go to the Supermarket under Mata Hari in Kuta Square. They have a good range of hair care products. I'll be there on the 10th

<3OnHerSleeve
October 17th, 2010, 05:31 AM
until your hair it totally recovered, you might want to consider the unappealing but practical swim cap to protect your hair when you're at the pool.
a lot of deep conditioning I think is also in order :P it's something you can do everyday for a week and pretty cheap too. Before you shower, heaps of conditioner and let it soak before you wash it out. Same as oil (love coconut oil), leave it in for around half-hour before washing it out.

kitten1986
October 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Ooh thanks for the suggestions, I will have to try to get my hands on some coconut oil here! I am heading into Kuta tomorrow so hopefully I can find some good stuff. I will also go and have a look at the balinese supermarket for some of their hair products, who knows i might be able to find something good

Gothic Lolita
October 17th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I also suggest oiling your hair before you get in the pool. Do you know if the water is chlorinated in Bali? Some countries do that. I'e been in Italy in a place where they do it and my hair was like straw. For me it helped to wet my hair with bottled water before swimming it. I also put in a little oil and rinsed it again after I got out of the pool/ocean.