PDA

View Full Version : style/care/habit changes due to length?

podo
October 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm in the process of writing an article for LHC about how reaching different lengths affects your various hair habits. For instance, when I hit waist I discovered that certain updos were difficult and I had to change my "go-to" style, but since I've only had LHC hair for a few years that would make a really short article! I'd like to get input from everyone from bald to floor (and beyond!) to build a truly useful article.

How has length affected your hair habits? I'm not really looking for actual care changes (went to CO, stopped using cones, etc.) but more interested in the technique changes (used to wash in the shower and now have to do it in a tub, used to bun at night and now braid, etc.). Please don't include changes due to finding/joining LHC (start S&D, quit piling hair on head when shampooing, stopped blowfrying) because most of us are already doing those, or at least been exposed to them, and they're fairly universal in terms of length.

waist:
- I couldn't do a braided coil (another tutorial I need to do) but was able to adapt it in another coil style finally
- too long for infinity bun because I was left with a tail just long enough to stick out and too short to tuck in

hips:
- I had to start clipping my hair on top of my head in the shower so I wouldn't get soap all over it (I do my 'other' shower stuff while the conditioner is soaking in) - this is probably something that I should have been doing all along, but at this point it became virtually required

TBL:
- measure by pulling hair under arm instead of over shoulder
- started sitting on my hair (only on the couch, but still)
- equilibrium bun became too hard because the halved length was so long the loop caught around my fingers before I could twist it up

I'm sure there are more, but I'm kinda brain-dead at the moment.

pepperminttea
October 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM
BSL: Started getting my hair caught between my back and chairs.
I think it was also just before BSL that I had to learn to finish my braid over my shoulder.

MBL: Ponytails began to hurt.

Waist: I can finally do some buns which my thickness has prevented me from doing up until now (figure 8, Spidermom's bun, etc.) - though still nowhere near all (braided cinnabun coiled enough to hide the tassel elastic, I'm looking at you).
I've outgrown my old method of doing the nautilus, but I'm not quite at a length where I can loop round the base once and still have enough left to finish with.
I also find my sticks are becoming just as useful as my forks. At BSL forks were the most secure for me, but now sticks are that nice medium between not-too-tight and secure.
ETA: It's begun to look 'long' to me in photos. Still doesn't actually feel long though.

Athena's Owl
October 16th, 2010, 11:22 PM
BSL: began bunning more often than having hair down at this stage.
also never leave home without a hair stick, either in my hair or in my purse.
french twists now impossible; too much hair.

waist: decreased how often i pressed it straight.
knot buns now (barely) possible.

hip: cannot soak my hair in a bath any more without courting complete disaster.
started adding styling products upside down, adopted plopping, used gel every time to help shape curls. ai
heat styling eliminated from my routine for three years.
bee butt buns now off the hairstyle list, buns almost always start from a knot bun base.

HintOfMint
October 17th, 2010, 01:00 AM
On a positive note, as I am almost at waist, I can now do a figure eight bun with minimal spiking-out bits!
On a less positive note, my French twists are getting a bit unwieldy. Not impossible, but it takes more finessing.
Ponytails have stopped counting as "putting hair out of the way." I need the ends tucked away in order to have it truly be out of my way.
Also, my buns feel heavier and more substantial, which makes the take-down a bit of a relief. I hope it doesn't start to translate into actual discomfort. I'm aiming for hip and growing out layers, so my hair is only going to get heavier.
I realize these are all really obvious, but these are small reminders that my hair is growing longer, so, :)

Loreley
October 17th, 2010, 01:19 AM
My hair was at TBL for many years, it's upper-thigh length now so that's not much difference but...:o
Classic:
-I started to sit on it
-started to wear it up most of the time
Upper-thigh: (and my ends got thicker)
-I comb it in a different way, I have to lift it up to reach the ends
-it's interesting, but it feels very heavy when it's in a braid (I don't feel that with buns)
-wearing it down is not comfortable anymore
-I usually use a fork to secure my bun because sticks don't hold too well
-trimming got a lot more complicated

Tornerose
October 17th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Well since I was at hip/tailbone already when joining LHC and could't even braid my own hair ( :p ) I thought theese annoying little tidbits would be of interest.

APL:
- Started geetign really annoyed with loose hair, because it would get stuck in the armpits and cause rather painful jolts when I tried turning my head.
- Also started to get stuck in bra

BSL:
- Getting caught in bra all the time, making the bra itch due to hair always stuck on it.
- Having to toss it to one side when getting into cars etc so it wouldn't get stuck in the door on windy days
- Able to bun it and having it stay on it's own
- Having to lean head forwards when sitting down so it would't get caught between the back and the chair

Waist:
- Getting used to the fact that the thing that suddenly tickles your body isn't a bug of some sorts, but your hair.
- Beeing able to have hair caught between back and chair without discomfort
- One hairstick/pencil/whatever just doesn't hold anymore.

Hips/Tailbone:
- Getting stuck in jeans and underwear ALL the time. When you sit down, when you get up again, when you're asleep, when you're doing anything other than beeing naked.
- When beeing in a car with someone behind you,they WILL at one point or another rest their shoed feet on your hair (OUCH!!!) without realising they're doing it.
- When in shower without showercap/bun/etc, it will start to go in your.. *ahem*..divided part. Really annoyoing, not to mention feels very gross.

Bum-to-classic:
- Almost no matter how you sit down, you'll end up sitting on some pieces of hair (unless it's bunned)

Carolyn
October 17th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Shoulder-shoulder blade length: I could wash it in the bathroom sink. I could skip conditioner now and then. Used styling products to tame the layers. I didn't have many style options so wore it down most of the time. I did ponytails and had it french braided in a salon for something different.

MBL: Started needing deep conditioning treatments. I switched to washing it sitting in the tub (I don't have a stand up shower in my bathroom) I began to have a little success with a few basic updo's. I began to feel like it was starting to get long.

BSL: More updo's and more hair toys. I stepped it up on the deep conditioning. I could do a decent single braid instead of a braid stub. A high ponytail was too heavy to be comfortable. (BSL is lower then MBL on me. I didn't mix up these lengths)

Waist: I began to feel like my hair was long. I quit doing ponytails due to tangling. I oil at night more often. Buns became my staple style. I sometimes get my hair wrapped around me while sleeping.

Hip: More of the same. Buns are easier. I can do more varied bun styles.

TBL: I began to feel it was too long to wear down. The ends thinned out.

podo
October 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I just realized that since I can't do the equilibrium bun anymore, perhaps I can make a log roll (finally)!

princessp
October 17th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Gosh, I can't think of too many things but I'll give it a shot. I can't remember when I had hair shorter than BSL so I'll start there.

BSL: Have to wear it up at night so it doesn't get all crazy. Able to wear it up in few buns.

Waist: I still have to wear it up at night (like in a braid), but also in a cap so me and/or my partner do not roll on it. I generally wear it up more than down during the day so it doesn't get caught. Buns can still be held with a L maximus ficcare, but buns are getting thicker and I anticipate having to hold buns with 2 ficcares in the future. Starting to feel that cool feeling of hair being so long it touches my back in new areas (especially when wet because mine is almost tailbone when wet).

bluesnowflake
October 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I started after a disastrous forced cut to collarbone length.
Collarbone- always wore down, too short for braids
BSL- had to be careful not to get it stuck in sweaters, started wearing up
Waist (current) more pins with buns to minimize discomfort, people sitting near me accidentally put their elbows on it and then I get stuck (actually kind of funny), gets caught in more things, way more conditioner needed, I do it up/fancy more often.

Dragon
October 17th, 2010, 02:55 PM
SL: Washed and conditioned it once a week and always worn it down.

BSL: Washed and conditioned it once a week and always worn it down. Started getting caught in back pack straps and caught under arm pits. Needed to moisturise more so started oiling and and doing egg washes some times instead of shampooing.

Waist: Hair more thirsty. Wash once to twice a week with conditioner, shampoo every few weeks, started needing leave in conditioner and still needing to oil it. Have had to start wearing it up when out doors and to bed becasue of knots, people accidentally putting there elbows on it, sometimes get caught in things like microwave doors, when putting a rubber band around frozen vegetables have managed to tie my hair with it and not so long ago had a close call with a fridge door.

faeflame
October 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM
BSL --Had to start braiding it for bedtime to keep from strangling myself.

Waist-- Peacock twist no longer a possibility- too much length flopping down after pinning the twist. Normal french twist looks like T-rex head so I do an upside down french twist from Xandergrammy's journal on the old LHC.

Tailbone- Braid is getting too heavy to wear everyday as protective style. Changed to two braids for exercise style. Actually wear hair open more now. Hair must be twisted and tucked into my shirt for potty times.

Barely, barely classic, just past tush-- Must pin up with conditioner in it while doing other shower duties. Even doing that hair gets into "uncomfy" places during showering. Hair gets caught in bra, panties, jeans, everything when dressing. Hate sitting with hair behind me, I have to pull it in front of my body and away from the chair back especially in public places like church or restaurants ( must be in updo to go to movie theater, my weird quirk). Sleep braid wacks poor DH when I roll over! (tried just tossing hair over pillow for a good while but not worth the tangles)

podo
October 17th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Wow.. this is even better that I'd hoped for! Keep 'em coming!

For all those who whack or strangle their SO while sleeping, if you have your hair in a braid of some kind, try stretching it out on the opposite side of the bed. I have a bodypillow next to me that my cat sleeps on, so I just tuck mine down in between the two pillows. You do have to get used to not turning in a complete circle or you strangle yourself, but I find that I'm able to keep it out of the way and out of danger - and I'm someone that moves a lot when they sleep (which is why I can't do plopping). When I half-awaken to change positions, I automatically adjust my hair to have it laying straight across (or off the side of) the bed.

That was totally OT, I'm sorry.. but I just thought of one more so this wasn't a complete waste:

Hip - I had to change from an english braid to a caterpillar braid at night. It's quicker to do and undo, doesn't put waves in my hair, has less tangles, and actually seems to hold better with less frizzies coming out! I'd have never believed it until I experienced it!

Night_Kitten
October 18th, 2010, 07:24 AM
The ones I remember:
Waist:
- stopped washing with my head upside-down (too many tangles when putting my head back up), and consequently started bunning in the shower
Hip:
- started to moove the hair to the front when going to the toilet, even though it wasn't quite long enought for that yet... :)
- started braiding at night to prevent tangles (should have started much sooner, but better late then never)
- a braid becomes dangerous weapon when turning fast :D
Tailbone:
- started to moove the hair to the front as I sit down on sofas, pufs and other soft surfaces to prevent the ends from getting caught

podo
October 18th, 2010, 08:18 PM
bsl - had to start wearing a braid to protect from damage with daily activities - particularly seat backs and purse/backpack straps (I think I saw this from someone else in the thread, so it might be a repeat)

hip - got to tickle my DH's ear in the car with my hair...while still buckled into the passenger seat!

Madora
January 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
When I had classic length hair I could sit on it and was also able to do a special hairstyle that I couldn't do with shorter hair.

jaine
January 31st, 2011, 05:43 PM
My styling routine has remained surprisingly similar since pixie ... comb gel through my wet hair, let it air dry, and then finger-comb the crunch out. The biggest difference is that the drying time keeps getting longer and longer.

St.Germain
January 31st, 2011, 05:45 PM
Well, I typically wore my hair in a french braid or two, and just let them hang down my back, from BSL to about tailbone/mid-bum length, where it stayed for quite some time.

When it got to Classic, and now what I tentatively call mid-thigh, I have to keep my braids in a bun, and my go-to style has become a version of a chinese bun that uses two dutch braids as a base. My braids have gotten to a point where I almost sit on them, especially on something squishy like a couch.

That's all I can think of for now.

Anywhere
January 31st, 2011, 05:55 PM
Wearing it up more. Gets stuck on things (seatbelts, backpack straps) less that way. When it was APL it didn't matter much to me as it was too short to worry much about it.

luxepiggy
January 31st, 2011, 06:10 PM
Past waist:

My updos get all wonky - there's always a little stub left over that won't stay tucked in. Once I get to hip they're OK again.
Hair gets caught under the handles of my handbags, which I carry on my forearm
At hip:

I have to be careful getting into cars on windy days when my hair is loose. Even while seated, my hair will get caught in the door as I'm closing it if I don't make sure to gather it up over my shoulder first.
At tailbone:

Hair tends to get caught in the seat belt buckling apparatus, so I can only drive with my hair over my left shoulder.
Hair also starts to get caught on/in my shoes, when I'm putting them on. My hair will get caught on the buckle of the ankle strap, or some of it will be stuck in between my heel and the back of the shoe, or sometimes on the scales of python skin shoes (it makes the most horrid sound what the hair separates from the scales too, I always cringe, and I can never decide whether to be more concerned about the damage to the shoe or my hair! :o)
One-hairstick and hairfork buns start to give me headaches, and I prefer to use two sticks, on opposite sides.

GrowingGlory
January 31st, 2011, 06:16 PM
SL: Began stretching washes, oiling ends, ponytailed or bunned occasionally, diluted shampoo. Noticed more waves and ringlets.

APL: Began brushing each morning, oiling scalp and length, putting salve on last 3", adding a little oil to shampoo, beehive bunning under a hat. Noticed that sebum absorbs back into my hair.

BSL: Began stretching DCT (oiling & salve) for a few days, with hair bunned when going out (until it hurts, anyway). Seldom wear ponytails now. Noticed that my hair length seems to vary from day with the weather; ends look and feel fabulous thanks to Mason Pearson and Night Blooming (and me!).

LadyG
January 31st, 2011, 06:38 PM
BSL- wearing up daily to keep from catching in stuff. Wearing a braid at night. Pinning up in shower when conditioning.

squiggyflop
January 31st, 2011, 07:26 PM
shoulder-apl: wore it down most days but also in pigtails, and pigtail braids in the summer to keep it off me.. started off with faded pink hair, then henna to try and save my hair.. i used to just bleach it over and over full head bleachings at home.. just to get that neon pink color, well actually before that it was fire engine red (which was actually a good color on me).. so yeah.. henna starts here

bsl: started wearing hair in a ponytail to sleep because otherwise i would breath it in through my NOSE.. ewww.. learned to braid a single braid.. before i could only do pigtail braids because i couldnt work behind my head..

waist: absolutely necessary to wear it up at night.. and in a bun not a ponytail.. otherwise i would wake up with densely matted patches.. i also started wearing my hair up almost every day, because it was really annoying down, i was in my first year of college and it would just fall right into my way.. and i would put it behind my ear, i didnt think i had thick hair.. but the ears just couldnt hold back all the hair like they did before when my hair was all bleached..

hip: not much different than waist, except i was more careful about my hair.. and i wore it down occasionally still.. braided buns are my friend from here on..

tailbone: keeping up with the braided buns, wearing my hair up more than ever.. even if i try to wear my hair down for the day i always end up fed up with it and put it up.. usually by the 5th time it gets somehow caught on the thingys on my backpack..

can-i-call-this-classic: roughly the same as tailbone.. except more oilings before washing..

um as for how i wash my hair.. i generally take baths, not showers.. sometimes i rinse with the showerhead, sometimes i just dump a few buckets of the bath water over my head, sometimes i fill the bucket with water from the tap and then dump it on my head.. *shrug* whatever i feel like.. however scalp washes, those are new for me, they appeared on my hair washing routine around hip length.. which is about the length needed to not soak the whole braid doing it

HintOfMint
January 31st, 2011, 07:35 PM
Update: How on EARTH am I going through this much conditioner??? My hair is just past waist now.

Annalise
January 31st, 2011, 09:54 PM
BSL: I had to change my daily style from the messy bun that many shorter haired women do to an English braid. (I got the braid advice on LHC, but the change was required regardless.)

Midback: I had to start making sure I was wearing my hair up whenever I was going to do anything remotely messy. (I was cleaning out the cat litter in the bathtub with my hair down and when I bent over to scrub, my hair long enough for the ends to float in the water. Yuck.)

Waist (now): My hair started taking forever to dry. I was rinsing and conditioning every day in the shower and then braiding my wet hair. But the hair was often still damp when I took the braid out for bed. And I started smelling mildew occasionally. So a few weeks ago I stopped wetting my hair unless I was going to shampoo. Then I discovered that my standard English braid doesn't work on my hair when it's dry (it's too fine and falls out). So I've started experimenting with buns.

I also need to find another nighttime style. I've been doing pigtail braids, but my hair is now long enough that if I lay on my side, the braid on the top shoulder tends to wrap around my neck and get caught under the other shoulder, strangling me.

PiroskaCicu
January 31st, 2011, 10:01 PM
APL: I started braiding by hair for sleeping or else it would be a big mess when waking up.

podo
February 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM
TBL - loose hair (i.e. worn down) gets into everything!! need to put it up to keep it from catching everywhere and on every thing.

podo
July 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
TMI most likely, but important to know!
a couple inches below TBL - As stated above, I wear my hair in a caterpillar braid at night. I braid it on my left side, as DH sleeps to my right. Well... first thing in the morning one day, when I went to.. ah.. do my thing, I had the horrid realization that said braid hangs down the center of my body while I'm sitting - and the tail is low enough it's in danger! (The caterpillar braid doesn't use up ANY length, if you didn't know.) While I have always caught this before it happened, this is the length where it could; therefore, all be warned!!