PDA

View Full Version : different textures of hair on parts of scalp

squiggyflop
May 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM
ok so im confused.. the underside of my hair is mostly straight my temple hair is completely straight as straight can be.. my canopy is wavy and sometimes even dries sort of spirally..

now i has reading and on other sites people judge hair wavyness by the underside of the hair..

so does anyone else experience straighter hair in some areas..
does anyone know why my underside is straight..

i just took my hair out of a bun i had been wearing on the top of my head for 14 hours and my temple hair is straight again and is acting as if the bun had never happened..

Altocumulus
May 27th, 2008, 09:31 AM
My hair is straightest (maybe 2a or 1c) on the underside, wavy on most of my head (2c) and 3a at the temples. Mixed textures are not unusual, especially for wavy/curly hair.

Katurday
May 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM
My sister is baiscly the opposite of you. Her underside is downright 3a, her middle layers are somewhere in the 2's and her top layer is a 1b.
Take an averige hair curlyness?
Thats what she does.

My hair is 1a to my chin, 1b to my shoulder, and curlier and curlier as it goes along.
:confused:

Katze
May 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
yes, this is normal.

I've got it too - 1b or even 1a babyfine, translucent, pale crown hair, and 2b-ish, M, coarse, dark brown nape hair. One of the hardest things to deal with with my hair is the fact that my crown hair needs to be treated like fine, straight hair - thoroughly cleaned, not weighed down - and my nape hair has the demands of coarse, curly hair.

Overall I call myself F and 2a because this is the "average" of how my hair is and acts - mostly like a straight-wavy and mostly fine.

It is really hard when your hair changes around your head and from day to day. Also, some of the hairtyping pictures are somewhat misleading - there are people listed as 1b with visible all over waves, and people listed as 2b whose hair looks much straighter than mine. I just assume they are also taking an "average" of how their hair really is.

hope this helps!

peace

katze

Saranne772
May 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I have hair that forms spirally curls on the underneath of the canopy and is more wavy on top!

coppercurls
May 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I have almost straight hair underneath on the nape of neck. My hair is curliest at the hair line on my forehead. :rolleyes: Never a dull moment I tell ya'!

flapjack
May 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I don't have different textures, but I definitely have different thickness in hair in certain places. Along my part, and spread through the back of my head, the hair is really coarse and then all along both sides, the hair is mostly medium with some fine hairs near my face.

wonderlywroughte
May 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM
My hair is straight on the underside, moderately wavy along my hairline and on the sides, rather curly on the canopy and in the back, and one patch coming from the right side of the back of my head is super curly. :D

rhubarbarin
May 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
You're not alone.

My temple hair is short, straight and blonde, my short nape hairs are darker and super-curly.

I have patches of brown, somewhat wirey, 3a curls on either side of my neck behind my ears, and a patch of blonde, silky, 2a right at my nape. This is my V because it is mostly straight, it always hangs down further than the rest.

The rest of my hair is mostly 2c (S-waves at the top, spirals on the bottom) and light brown with blonde streaks and ends..

Also, bunning and braiding does not affect my level of curl and wave (perhaps because I don't comb first?). When I put it up, it comes down hours later looking exactly the same.

C_Bookworm
May 29th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Most of my hair is wavy or curly. The underside is silkier than the rest of my hair, and almost perfectly straight. weird

Saranne772
May 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I was just doing some S&D and I noticed that now only are there different waviness on my hair but the actual hairs themselves are different thicknesses. I have some hairs that are really THICK and when I cut the split off them I can "feel the cut" vibrate. Whilst others are so fine that I have to look and see if it actually cut.

nomadhome
May 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Parts of my under layer is probably 1b or c, but most of my hair is in the 2a/b range, with some bits on some days becoming a solid 2c+. Seems reasonably common with wavies. I think it averages out to a 2b-ish, but some days it is more of a 2a. Wavy hair is fun like that!

Shermie Girl
May 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM
My hair is wavier on the under layer. I have a "kitchen", too. My nape hairs, as it gets longer can get very curly, they tangle and mat if I don't keep my hair up or braided. My canopy is curlier on one side of my head than on the other. I have a mix of fine and medium hair with a nice handful of very coarse greys. The rest of my greys are fine/medium. :D

florenonite
May 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Most of my hairs are 1c/2a, but at the front I get 2c/3a ringlets, especially my ultra-fine temple hairs. My nape hairs, too, are ringlets, but they're coarser than the rest of my hair. I also find that the darker hairs are coarser (maybe F/M) than the lighter ones, which may be because the blonder hairs are that way due to damage.

atlantaz3
May 30th, 2008, 06:17 PM
My crown hair is as straight as can be. The center back and under layers are wavy. The right side I could deal with natural - the left side if left to wave just looks ratty. Which is why I try to straighten my hair

jojo
May 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I definitely have combination hair, the hair on my right hand fringe is spirally, yet the left has just a slight wave and my sides are wavy, more so on the back.

It makes it interesting though!

mommy101405
May 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I am pretty straight but I get waves and even some ringlets around my nape and temples. Mainly I notice my hair is a bit thinner on the left side than the right. Can be awkward when trying to put it up.

Presto
May 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I am for the most part 3a with some parts definitely 3b, but the majority of my canopy is a bit more slack. I have been wondering for a while if it is from all the half ups I wear. I can't stand it in my face, and I don't always like the way I look all up. I don't wear tight styles, but I put it up wet and it dries that way. Everyday.
On weekends I sometimes have the patience to dry my hair down, and the front bits seem nearly 2c sometimes. :(
I have always noticed that the limpest least curly bits are distinctly on the left front, like a thick swatch of bangs/fringe. I am soooo a curly girl. Always have been. Where are they going?
I loves my nape hairs! They are the curliest of all.

shellblue1
May 31st, 2008, 12:32 AM
My sister is baiscly the opposite of you. Her underside is downright 3a, her middle layers are somewhere in the 2's and her top layer is a 1b.
Take an averige hair curlyness?
Thats what she does.
:confused:

Her hair sounds a lot like mine!

Jae6
May 31st, 2008, 12:53 AM
pbi?: cool, i never realized so many people are like me =)

my hair is 1b underneath, and the rest of it is the type you see in my avatar, though when my hair is at its healthiest (i.e. optimal moisture), it is 3a around my face (always screws up my vain attempts at bangs).