PDA

View Full Version : Hair cleavage

Gulbahar
May 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Does anyone remember this subject which came up at the old board? I don't have any photo of mine but it seems to get worse for whatever reason: my hair at the two cowlicks on the back of my head always falls apart no matter what updo I try and even when I wear the hair loose. With my white scalp and rather darkish hair this looks very odd. It gets worse the longer I haven't washed.
Any idea to prevent this?

rhubarbarin
May 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
No ideas here! I have insane scalp cleavage. Every curl on the crown and back of my head grows from a swirl, just like my dad's. Doesn't bug me as much as some people here - I don't feel that it makes me look like I am balding or anything.

If I do an updo it is possible to rearrage my hair (after the updo is secured, with my fingers) so it doesn't show much, but it sounds like you've tried that and it's not working for you.. maybe you need to secure the hair you've 'combed over' so to speak with a bobby pin?

Tabitha
May 27th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I don't think you can prevent it really - I have it at the back because of a double crown there - you can see it in my sig pic even though it's a small photo. It's more pronounced when my hair is allowed to airdry and go its own way (which is the majority of the time as I very rarely blow-dry - but when I do, I can "persuade" the hair temporarily to lie flatter). The same applies to the cowlicks I have in front at my widow's peak. Humidity seems to bring them out as the hair's wave becomes more marked.

I'm not worried about looking bald because it's obvious I have a lot of hair, but it does make me look as if I "need to brush my hair" :undecided.

flapjack
May 27th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I have a swirly spot on the side where my old natural part is and for years, my hair would not lie over the spot properly, especially in updos. It was pretty annoying. But it stopped doing that years ago... I think the hair still sticks up a tiny bit over the spot but hair now lays over it so you can't see the scalp there. It kind of just got better with time... and by time, I mean several years. It got to the point where I didn't care anymore, so I stopped paying attention, but now it's gone. I think maybe with many years of your hair lying a certain way most of the time, it's possible for it to go away or decrease.

frizzinator
May 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
This problem ceased several months after I stopped using water and products. I suspect the reason is because of daily scritching and scalp massage.

yogachic
May 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I have the same thing, i have a photo in my photo album that shows it. I see it back there alot. I call it a cowlick.

embee
May 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
My mom wore her hair in a topknot bun, I mean *on top* of her head. She had hair cleavage in the back like you would not believe, and she would use a wide side-comb to keep it from showing. Run the comb up and then insert it teeth down, and the cleavage could not happen.

I don't wear my hair that way, and only when I really need to wash do I notice this problem.

GlennaGirl
May 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Cleavage here! It's almost like my "part" just continues some ways down the back of my head.

No worries. Your hair is already perfect, because it's yours. :)

Chromis
May 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Yes ma'am, that was me!

I was getting it when I put my hair up esp with Ficcares. Playing with how much hair I was grabbing seems to have helped it, but for cowlicks the only thing I can think of might be to try "poofier" styles. When mine wants to show cleavage, trying to make it tighter only makes it worse!

rhubarbarin
May 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Playing with how much hair I was grabbing seems to have helped it, but for cowlicks the only thing I can think of might be to try "poofier" styles. When mine wants to show cleavage, trying to make it tighter only makes it worse!

Yeah, looser updos and working with the way your hair likes to lie naturally work for me. Pulling it back tightly in the 'wrong' direction just makes it look bad.

Gulbahar
May 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM
For me it's the other way 'round: the tighter the updo is the less I will get a cleavage. If I let my hair do what it wants it will just lie flat left and right of the cowlick and produce a huge cleavage. Stupid hair!

n3m3sis42
May 27th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Cleavage here! It's almost like my "part" just continues some ways down the back of my head.

No worries. Your hair is already perfect, because it's yours. :)

This is how my hair cleavage looks, too. And in fact, if my hair is close to needing a wash and I have it pulled back, sometimes it will just decide to part itself on top of my head. It's not attractive.

Until a month or two ago when I found the term "scalp cleavage" somewhere (I think on the archived forums), I was starting to be concerned that maybe I was going bald.

Anje
May 27th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I get it too, though I mostly notice it on the sides of my head... My solution has been to grab my Denman brush (closer bristles than my wide-tooth comb, which seems to help) and brush that area back into the updo. This seems to align the hairs in the direction I want them to go from the follicle on. Definitely reduces the cleavage, though some days I'm more prone to it than others.

ginalaurie
May 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I do what Anje does and use my Denman or a really fine toothed comb to smooth the hair over that spot after I pull my hair back or put it up. I have to be careful, though, or it will mess it up and I have to start over.

kimki
May 27th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I think I'm more prone to this when I put my hair up wet, it seems to dry and I get horrible bits in it. It's worse as I'm starting to grow out the henna and the roots show through...yuck.

hrimfaxi
May 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Huge cleavage problems for me too--my part goes straight back for a ways and then forks off way down the side in the back, which looks terrible if I'm having a particularly bad scalp-cleavage day. :( I haven't really figured out what to do about it besides playing with the tension of the pulled-back hair.

Morag
May 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
This problem ceased several months after I stopped using water and products. I suspect the reason is because of daily scritching and scalp massage.

Frizzinator, since you gave up products and water, what do you use please? I am trying WO, but don't seem to be able to work up enough sebum to really do the trick, despite twice daily massage. Are you using herbs? And can you described "scritching"? Ready to take notes now ...
:writer:

[Apologies for the hijack.]

I also have something that might be called hair cleavage, although three generations of my family have referred to it as "that thin spot" and a classmate when I was 13 solemnly informed me that it was actually very rare for a woman to go bald, especially at such a young age. Golly - could it be it's only a cowlick?

Dianyla
May 27th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Hair cleavage is extremely common with the i and ii thicknesses, but as Tabitha proves it's also possible for iii's to get it too.

shellblue1
May 27th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I have one cowlick that is on the back of the right side of my head. It is this awful little swirl. What I do is part my hair on the left side of my head and comb or arrange my hair so that the cowlick is covered. I also try to put a little hairspray on that area so the cowlick won't come through. I never noticed this cowlick when I used to color my hair blonde. Now that it is dark it is a lot more noticable.

n3m3sis42
May 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I do what Anje does and use my Denman or a really fine toothed comb to smooth the hair over that spot after I pull my hair back or put it up. I have to be careful, though, or it will mess it up and I have to start over.

What she said. I usually "go over" the top of my updo with my BBB to minimize the appearance of scalp cleavage. Sometimes this works great, and sometimes it doesn't work so great.

Gulbahar
May 28th, 2008, 05:01 AM
What she said. I usually "go over" the top of my updo with my BBB to minimize the appearance of scalp cleavage. Sometimes this works great, and sometimes it doesn't work so great.
For me this works like five seconds. :(

n3m3sis42
May 28th, 2008, 05:02 AM
For me this works like five seconds. :(

Some days, it works all day for me. Other days (usually when it's getting close to wash day for me), it works for like five seconds, like you said.

Some days, I just give up and walk around with a huge crack down the middle of my head.

Gulbahar
May 28th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Some days, it works all day for me. Other days (usually when it's getting close to wash day for me), it works for like five seconds, like you said.

Some days, I just give up and walk around with a huge crack down the middle of my head.
I think it depends on the hair structure. Mine is almost totally straight and very slippery. I seems to be different with wavy or curly hair.

Juliet's Silk
May 28th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I was getting it when I put my hair up esp with Ficcares. Playing with how much hair I was grabbing seems to have helped it, but for cowlicks the only thing I can think of might be to try "poofier" styles. When mine wants to show cleavage, trying to make it tighter only makes it worse!

Ficcare is the culprit here too - I guess it's because I have to grab the scalp hair somewhere to the side to get enough grip and hold with the Ficcare. It's worse when the hair is greasy but I get it on clean hair as well. I don't know how to prevent it as I need to insert the Ficcare a bit away from the actual updo to get enough hold. Oh well. If it bothers me too much I use another hairtoy to hold the updo. If it's a bad hair day, I just leave it be, it's not getting better.

n3m3sis42
May 28th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Ficcare is the culprit here too - I guess it's because I have to grab the scalp hair somewhere to the side to get enough grip and hold with the Ficcare. It's worse when the hair is greasy but I get it on clean hair as well. I don't know how to prevent it as I need to insert the Ficcare a bit away from the actual updo to get enough hold. Oh well. If it bothers me too much I use another hairtoy to hold the updo. If it's a bad hair day, I just leave it be, it's not getting better.

Juliet's Silk, I'm going to "yoink" this quote from frizzinator on the "Styles that can be held with a Ficcare" thread in hopes that it helps you:

These instructions will help http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55541
Pretend that the bottom half of your ficcare is a stick, and insert it the same way they insert the hair stick.

I tried this, and it helped me get GREAT hold with my Ficcare cinnabun without grabbing as much scalp hair. :)

Juliet's Silk
May 28th, 2008, 05:29 AM
n3m3sis42 I don't do cinnammon buns with my Ficcare anymore because the weight is too great for my poor scalp to handle. I'm trying it out, though, maybe the weight distribution is better this way.:)

n3m3sis42
May 28th, 2008, 05:48 AM
n3m3sis42 I don't do cinnammon buns with my Ficcare anymore because the weight is too great for my poor scalp to handle. I'm trying it out, though, maybe the weight distribution is better this way.:)

Let me know how it works out for you... I did notice more pulling and scalp cleavage when I was trying to do cinnabuns with the Ficcare until I tried it this way.

I hate that feeling of pulling at the scalp, though. One night a couple of weeks ago, I re-did my sleep braid like 10 times because it kept pulling on different parts of my scalp. I have no idea what the problem was, but it was so annoying.

Delenn
May 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I have a nasty one on the back of my head that drives me absolutely insane. I wish I had a magic cure but I don't. :(

n3m3sis42
May 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I think it depends on the hair structure. Mine is almost totally straight and very slippery. I seems to be different with wavy or curly hair.

I just had a "Eureka!" moment here. I have been trying for months to figure out why I suddenly have this problem. I never used to have it until sometime within the past 12-15 months. I've been blaming the fact that I went from washing once every 1-2 days before then to once washing every 3-4 days. The thing is, my hair doesn't even have to be greasy to have this problem.

Your comment made me realize that maybe it's the texture that's the issue. I'm one of those people whose hair became a lot less wavy due to henna. I really don't mind because my wave mostly translated to scary frizz anyway, but I guess it's possible that straighter hair means other issues, such as scalp cleavage?

Thank you so much. At least now I can stop being paranoid that I might be going bald.

Tangles
July 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Mine is horrible. I remember a few years ago seeing the back of my head in a mirror and wondering if I was going bald, only to discover it was just my part and cowlicks converging into bare lines on my head...

Sometimes blow-frying helps but sometimes it also makes it worse. Mostly, I guess I just have to live with it. I have to keep my hair clean and clarified to minimize it. No CO scalp washes for me.

whichypoohs
February 2nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
I asked about this subject myself. Since then I find that washing my hair stops the problem - the hair seems to fall better. Also putting it in a pony tail seems to "train" it to fall correctly, and I've gone back to using my Henna......which does wonders to your hair.

Agnes Hannah
April 20th, 2014, 03:54 PM
My hair is very fine, and I have a lot of scalp cleavage when I put it up, which is most days!! I find this a real problem, does anyone know of a way to solve this problem?
Thanks
x

two_wheels
April 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Hmm... I have a weird whorl at my crown and when it's misbehaving I conceal it with French braids, or by brushing hair into updos with a boar bristle brush (but only after combing to remove tangles).

You don't have to do the French braid all the way to the end, you can also do it halfway down your head then finish with a bun. As well as hiding scalp, it gives a bit of lift/volume at the front and stops hairsticks from rotating.

eadwine
April 20th, 2014, 04:46 PM
I have one part right at the top left back of my head. I use a fine toothed comb to comb hair over the gap and then use some hairspray that brushes out over it to keep things in place.

roseomalley
April 20th, 2014, 04:56 PM
After I style my fine, thin hair, I scout for any scalp cleavage and lightly go over those sections with a fine tooth comb. Scalp,cleavage is not happy making, but I am trying my best to deal with it and not be obsessed by it. (Well, I might be a tad obsessed by it.)

divinedobbie
April 20th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I am another fan of fine tooth combs to rearrange hairs to hide the cleavage.

dollyfish
April 20th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Wait, what exactly is "scalp cleavage"??

LauraLongLocks
April 20th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Wait, what exactly is "scalp cleavage"??
Something that, as an iii, you will probably never understand. Ha! It's when there isn't enough hair to hide the scalp, like a bunch of mini-partings in the hair. Those of us with fine hair know scalp cleavage all to well.

Aderyn
April 21st, 2014, 12:06 PM
I rarely get scalp cleavage and when I do it's not that bad, thanks to having thick hair, though I do get it occasionally if I'm stretching washes and my hair clumps up at the roots. I usually just go through with a BBB to smooth that out.

Nadine <3
April 21st, 2014, 12:19 PM
I also go over it with a fine tooth comb. I get it in the same spots every time my hair is up.

Beborani
April 21st, 2014, 12:21 PM
Top knot style high buns used to help me.

ravenreed
April 21st, 2014, 12:26 PM
I only get scalp cleavage when my hair isn't clean. I just wash mine often enough not to have to worry.

dwell_in_safety
April 21st, 2014, 12:47 PM
My girlfriend has very thin hair, and when she allows me to play with it and I come up with a nice style, I find using a fine-toothed comb over the hair after it's done helps to hide most of her scalp cleavage.

Fairlight63
April 21st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Also when I put my hair in a half up, that way helps a lot. Then I bun the rest of my hair or braid it.

lapushka
April 21st, 2014, 02:42 PM
If you notice this and your hair's in an updo (and it's not too tight), then running a comb or brush over the cleavage softly will usually make it poof back to life.

jeanniet
April 21st, 2014, 02:43 PM
Something that, as an iii, you will probably never understand. Ha! It's when there isn't enough hair to hide the scalp, like a bunch of mini-partings in the hair. Those of us with fine hair know scalp cleavage all to well.

It's not just restricted to thinner hair! I have a 5" pony, but several cowlicks at the crown, so yep, cleavage there, too. After I take my hair down from the plop after washing, I always have to check the back of my head to see if I need to clip the hair while it's drying to cover the cleavage. Having curl volume back there does help to cover things up. Scalp cleavage is annoying! And with dark hair it's even worse, because the scalp shows more.

Wildcat Diva
April 21st, 2014, 02:43 PM
I'm a hands smoother. Just smooth hands over with pressure to shift hair to one side or the other to cover the offending cleft.

Anje
April 21st, 2014, 02:45 PM
I only get scalp cleavage when my hair isn't clean. I just wash mine often enough not to have to worry.
This seems to be the case for me too, but I find I have a day or two before I need to wash where I'll get it, but the scalp hair isn't piecey yet. Sleeping on it to get a funny part can be a contributing factor, as was amusingly evidenced last week by my short-haired hubby. :D

ravenreed
April 21st, 2014, 03:06 PM
I think mine goes from fine straight to oil slick in the matter of a few hours. I also get a weird scalp cleavage issue even with clean hair when I try double buns or braids. I end up with a sideways Y looking part no matter what I do. I think it is because I have a cowlick on the back of my head.

This seems to be the case for me too, but I find I have a day or two before I need to wash where I'll get it, but the scalp hair isn't piecey yet. Sleeping on it to get a funny part can be a contributing factor, as was amusingly evidenced last week by my short-haired hubby. :D

dollyfish
April 21st, 2014, 04:12 PM

Ahhhhhhhh, OK, I think I understand! I've seen this before. Though, you're right, I've never had this happen to me.

Remi
April 21st, 2014, 05:56 PM
I find it annoying because the cowlicks expose the scalp just about all the time. I have one side of the crown in the back, and two in front by my forehead. I have fairly thick and wavy hair but they show through. Yes, just a light combing with a fine tooth comb will cover it up.

lapushka
April 21st, 2014, 06:00 PM
I'm a iii and usually don't have scalp cleavage, maybe sometimes when the bun is thrown up rather haphazardly, but otherwise: no. My mom however, she has i/ii hair and she has to really battle the phenomenon. It's not fun when every time you put your hair up, there it is!

Rosetta
April 22nd, 2014, 06:20 AM
The same for me. And this is why I really don't understand why updos are always recommended here "to hide" unwashed (or oiled) hair... It just makes it worse! :confused:

Rosa Harris
April 22nd, 2014, 07:29 AM
Crazy problems with this if I am not careful! I have a couple actual bald spots as well. Some from eczema and a quarter sized one from ringworm as a child. I've thought about getting that bald spot dust for thinning hair I have seen advertised. My Mom used to have a spray on concealer she used on customers when she had the beauty shop that came in different colors.

My hair fluffs well but at the scalp you can see that it is thin. Its like cat hair. There is really a LOT of it but the strands are super think - like almost can't see them thin so the scalp shows really easy. Because of that I tend to bun it like in my avatar. It seems more densely populated at the back of my neck so I can take advantage of that. In the front I have two patches of wisps on the sides of a widows peak. The shortie wisps are all that make it a normal hairline. It's kinda weird ass hair. The shorties around the front seem to have their own shortie terminal length.

ashke50
April 22nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
The same for me. And this is why I really don't understand why updos are always recommended here "to hide" unwashed (or oiled) hair... It just makes it worse! :confused:

Same here! If my hair is unwashed or oiled and in an updo then all you can see is the hair sticking to my scalp, and the gaps where it has clumped together. All the slightly cleaner (if unwashed) hair is bundled away out of sight.

Anje
April 22nd, 2014, 02:43 PM

Put me in that category. I usually first notice that I'll need to wash next chance I get when I'm putting my hair up and noticing that it's not lying right. If you BBB it enough in the direction of the bun, I suppose it could look like it's just product-y, but who's got time for that?

longhairdreamin
April 22nd, 2014, 02:50 PM
I was watching a hairstyling YouTube video and the woman in the video used MAKEUP powder that matched her hair color and dusted it on her part with a makeup brush and commented about doing it because she didn't like how much scalp showed... Who would have thought? :shrug:

CarpeDM
April 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
I have two friends that help me with this; my Boar Bristle Brush (BBB) and a blusher brush armed with corn starch!

roseomalley
April 22nd, 2014, 05:03 PM
When I use my dry shampoo powder, it does help disguise my scalp. I have white, silver hair, so the dry shampoo blends right in. I guess it works like the cornstarch or make-up powder mentioned above.

EdG
April 22nd, 2014, 08:20 PM
I wash my hair when it gets oily enough to clump together.
Ed

rachel1031
April 22nd, 2014, 11:31 PM
I learned a new term tonight. I have a major cowlick on the crown and find it helpful to pin it in place while it is drying. I will give the fine tooth comb a try too! It looks bad on me because my hair is dark and my scalp is light, but heck, of all problems, it isn't such a problem.

Agnes Hannah
April 24th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Thank you roseomalley, divinedobby, Nadine, dwellinsafety, lapushka and remi, for the combing advice. I have got a comb specifically for fine haired gents which is good for this process. I have been trying to stretch washes too to help my hair, so may try using a dry shampoo, or face powder similar to my hair colour. I guess a little scalp cleavage is part and parcel of having very fine long hair.
Thank you all for your advice.
x

AmyBeth
April 25th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I have a small scar on my scalp that always shows cleavage, and when I put it up, I use the oft mentioned fine tooth comb and sometimes I will use tiny barrettes or decorative bobby pins to direct my hair which way I want it to go. You could also experiment with starting your updos with a tight zig-zag part, sort of like mini comb overs to camouflage the cleavages. We sometimes have to accept that we don't have thick huge manes like others do, and that is perfectly fine- pun intended.

door72067
April 25th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I saw a tip in the no water/sebum only thread (I am a shampooer/conditioner, I was just sight-seeing) about massaging the roots with the fingertips to get rid of the cleavage and find that really works well

Hedera
April 25th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I saw a tip in the no water/sebum only thread (I am a shampooer/conditioner, I was just sight-seeing) about massaging the roots with the fingertips to get rid of the cleavage and find that really works well

Do you mean massage the roots when your hair is already in an updo?

Or preventative, to make sure a certain spot is not prone to cleavage?

Panth
April 25th, 2014, 02:51 PM
If the scalp cleavage is from a cowlick on one side of the crown, you can massively reduce the cleavage problem by twisting your buns away from the cowlick, so that you do not force hair towards the cowlick and thus give enough loose hair for it to part.

I.e. if your cowlick is on the left side of your crown, spiral your cinnabuns and similar buns counter-clockwise so that the hair 'flows' from the cowlick, down and around in a spiral, rather than being forced up towards the cowlick.

Hedera
April 25th, 2014, 03:27 PM
If the scalp cleavage is from a cowlick on one side of the crown, you can massively reduce the cleavage problem by twisting your buns away from the cowlick, so that you do not force hair towards the cowlick and thus give enough loose hair for it to part.

I.e. if your cowlick is on the left side of your crown, spiral your cinnabuns and similar buns counter-clockwise so that the hair 'flows' from the cowlick, down and around in a spiral, rather than being forced up towards the cowlick.

Ah, good point; and I do have a cowlick on the left back of my head (and another one on the left front, but that only influences my bangs) and I do twist clockwise, towards the cowlick...
That might be a difficult habit to break, it's become so ingrained!

My scalp cleavage does not tend to show up around the actual cowlick though, more to the right - although I guess the 'disturbance' of the hair might still have something to do with it.

Hmmm....:hmm:

Panth
April 25th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Ah, good point; and I do have a cowlick on the left back of my head (and another one on the left front, but that only influences my bangs) and I do twist clockwise, towards the cowlick...
That might be a difficult habit to break, it's become so ingrained!

My scalp cleavage does not tend to show up around the actual cowlick though, more to the right - although I guess the 'disturbance' of the hair might still have something to do with it.

Hmmm....:hmm:

Yeah, despite figuring this out, and trying it and finding it does improve the cleavage problem, I personally have reverted back to my old twist direction because I'm lazy and find it really hard to learn new buns (or even old ones done slightly differently).

door72067
April 25th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Do you mean massage the roots when your hair is already in an updo?

Or preventative, to make sure a certain spot is not prone to cleavage?

I took it to mean *preventative*...in context, it was about how to get sebum only hair to look nice enough to wear down

I have a spot to the left of my crown that likes to cleave even if my hair is clean (I suspect a lazy cowl lick lurks) but if I gently rub at the roots with my fingertips (clean or 5-day since wash, doesn't matter) it really works well for me

calmyogi
July 20th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Hair cleavage! How many people on here have it and what do you do about it? Do you think it looks terrible?

I have it in be back because of my cowlick on the left side of my crown. I hate it, and it's worse when I wear my hair wurly.

lapushka
July 20th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I don't get it often, only when my hair gets quite oily (and that is only when my shampoo is too mild) at the top (2 cowlicks in back).

browneyedsusan
July 20th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Oh yeah.
Usually it's pretty obvious in my siggy. I don't know if it's a cowlick, or a scar from when I cut my head -- and got a bunch of stitches -- as a kid. It doesn't bother me too much. I've got bigger problems to focus on! lol!

ETA a couple pictures:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/588/21976345590_1a22c7664d_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ztYvUb)2015-10-14_09-29-08 (https://flic.kr/p/ztYvUb) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

https://c4.staticflickr.com/2/1673/23649403083_cc4896ea0f_q.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/C2PnB2)2016-01-09_02-14-54 (https://flic.kr/p/C2PnB2) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

The offender is near my crown on the right side.
I'll just say out loud, that it isn't nearly as bad now that my hair is long. When it was pixied, I had to wet that place down because my hair wasn't heavy enough to lay over it. It wanted to part itself, with the top half pointing up to the sky and the bottom half swirled down. (You can kind of tell in my first siggy picture. There is a 2" section of hair that has been muscled down over the naked scalp. lol! )

vampyyri
July 20th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Oh wow, that's a new term :lol: :rollin: I thought this thread was going to be about losing your hair in your cleavage, which happens all the time xD

For me, I don't get "hair cleavage" :lol:

calmyogi
July 20th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I was trying to figure out if it looks bad this morning. Personally I'm a natural kind of beauty person. I like people in their raw states without a lot of fuss so if I saw it on someone I wouldn't think too much about it. But what do you guys think, does it look bad?

calmyogi
July 20th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Oh wow, that's a new term :lol: :rollin: I thought this thread was going to be about losing your hair in your cleavage, which happens all the time xD

For me, I don't get "hair cleavage" :lol:

Lol the first time I read it I thought the same thing. The term is an attention grabber though isn't it haha

ladyshep
July 20th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Too funny! I love it. :D

I don't have too many problems.

school of fish
July 20th, 2016, 09:06 AM
The only cleavage I have is my hair cleavage... ;) :p

For me it comes when I don't henna my roots often enough - the greys shine through and give me a lovely 'bald spot' right at the back of my part. Which is one of the reasons I do so many root hennas. Every. Single. Week.

vampyyri
July 20th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Lol the first time I read it I thought the same thing. The term is an attention grabber though isn't it haha

Sure is, it got me in here as soon as I saw it! :lol:

calmyogi
July 20th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Oh yeah.
Usually it's pretty obvious in my siggy. I don't know if it's a cowlick, or a scar from when I cut my head -- and got a bunch of stitches -- as a kid. It doesn't bother me too much. I've got bigger problems to focus on! lol!

ETA a couple pictures:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/588/21976345590_1a22c7664d_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ztYvUb)2015-10-14_09-29-08 (https://flic.kr/p/ztYvUb) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

https://c4.staticflickr.com/2/1673/23649403083_cc4896ea0f_q.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/C2PnB2)2016-01-09_02-14-54 (https://flic.kr/p/C2PnB2) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

I'll just say out loud, that it isn't nearly as bad now that my hair is long. When it was pixied, I had to wet that place down because my hair wasn't heavy enough to lay over it. It wanted to part itself, with the top half pointing up to the sky and the bottom half swirled down. (You can kind of tell in my first siggy picture. There is a 2" section of hair that has been muscled down over the naked scalp. lol! )

I notice that mine gets worse the longer my hair is. I get the directional problem too. Mine makes this part extender type thing. It's like if I was to part my hair down the middle, it makes it look like I just kept parting 2-3" down the back of my head too. One piece sticks straight up sometimes too. That's mainly when I'm trying to cover it. It is worse when I haven't shampood in awhile. Like lapushka said, when the hair is greasier.

lapushka
July 20th, 2016, 09:13 AM
The term is old, though, and has been around on these boards a number of years. Just FYI for all you newer folk. ;)

eadwine
July 20th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Am I one of the few who knew what it meant straight away? :lol:

I have the cleavage issue. Not with my current go to hairstyle but back when I had all the hair pulled back in a bun I had to always go over that part with a comb and then put hairspray on it to make the hair stay put. Annoying!

school of fish
July 20th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I was familiar with the term, I just love a good double entendre, haha!! ;)

Johannah
July 20th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Only when my hair is greasy.

I didn't know the term as well, but I second the opinion that it sounds pretty funny :p

Agnieszka
July 20th, 2016, 10:47 AM
I have one :-( It's getting better as my hair gets longer. I've never had it when my hair was thick (in my teens). When my hair was pixied last year I had to wet it and sometimes blow dry the piece as hair cleveage doesn't look good on me :-) It's right on the back and on top of my head grrrr

Tysiphone
July 20th, 2016, 10:51 AM

Nooooo...!!! :rollin:

I have hair cleavage. It doesn't look nice, at all... but I've come to accept it. If I try to comb some hair over the cleavage it just looks like I'm balding, which looks a million times worse. :silly:

GingerWannabe
July 20th, 2016, 11:02 AM
My hair's exactly the same. The best thing I can do for it is to continue my part down it so it looks like it's the part, not anything else. But that limits hair styles. A lot.

vampyyri
July 20th, 2016, 11:06 AM
:scissors:
I have the cleavage issue.

:spitting: Don't we all? :lol:

I mean, I'm a mature adult... :run:

Cg
July 20th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Ah, yes, me too.

I avoid cleavage as much as possible by never beginning any bun tightly enough to pull the scalp whatsoever. A Dutch braid is particularly revolting, resulting in ... a balding microcephalic with a mohawk.

Arctic
July 20th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Yes I am prone to scalp cleavages and yes they look ugly to me. Without a doubt they are the bane of my hair excistance and cause me the more frustration and bad hair days. I have written tons about mine over the years, I have few methods that often help me to make the areas look better. I should probably sometimes combine them all into one post, now they are all over the forums and I am too tired to write them own now.

lithostoic
July 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Nope. I used to, when I didn't wash as often and had oilier hair in general. Not anymore. Plus I don't brush my hair straight wet out of the shower. I think that might have something to do with it, as it's kinda forcing the hair to lie a certain way.

I think for you wavy/wurly/curly folks, it might be helpful to comb dry from the top of your head to your ears only. That way any cleavage will fill in a little from the poofiness. And it'd give you some nice volume at the roots. Pure speculation though, as I'm a straight-hair.

samanthaa
July 20th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Oh yeah.

ETA a couple pictures:

I get one that looks almost the exact same as yours, browneyedsusan , except that it's on the left side of my head! I never noticed it until I got a hand mirror to use in addition to my full length mirror to examine the back of my head...and, gosh, good thing I did! It's bad when my hair is bunned. I have to run my fine-toothed comb over that section of my hair to get it to lay even.

I wonder if it's a cowlick thing for me. I've never considered it until today, but it might be. Running my fingers over each side of my head now (my hair is down today), the hair on the left side of my head does seen to bulge away from the scalp rather than lie flat (as if it's trying to grow upwards but the weight of my hair is pulling it downwards). I don't have this problem on the right side--which is actually a relief? I thought I was developing a bald spot!

Chromis
July 20th, 2016, 11:49 AM
The term is old, though, and has been around on these boards a number of years. Just FYI for all you newer folk. ;)

That was my turn of phrase and I am super amused how well it has stuck :laugh:

I can't seem to find that thread (think it might be on the archived forums though), but I will merge this in with the last one I found since that had some good tips.

lapushka
July 20th, 2016, 03:40 PM
That was my turn of phrase and I am super amused how well it has stuck :laugh:

I can't seem to find that thread (think it might be on the archived forums though), but I will merge this in with the last one I found since that had some good tips.

You came up with that? :D Awesome!!!

Nadine <3
July 20th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I just add some lipstick and a necklace and we go out for a night on the town. Har har har everyone laugh at my boob pun.

No but in all cerealness, I use a fine tooth comb to smooth it out after I put it up :)

vampyyri
July 20th, 2016, 05:54 PM
I just add some lipstick and a necklace and we go out for a night on the town. Har har har everyone laugh at my boob pun.

No but in all cerealness, I use a fine tooth comb to smooth it out after I put it up :)

Not gonna lie, I giggled a bit... :lol: