PDA

View Full Version : What is this bun/what is my haircolour? (whole bunch o' pics)

schweedie
October 16th, 2010, 07:03 AM
(And when I say 'a whole bunch', I mean a WHOLE bunch.)

Hair gurus, I need your help. First, the quick question. Do you know what bun this is?

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Hair/DSCN9968.png

Made by twisting until you have a tail with a loop up, and then spreading the loop around the twist. Is that a nautilus? Whatever it is, it's my new favourite bun. Holds like a rock!

But my biggest hair issue these days is, I don't know what haircolour I am. My hair has darkened quite a bit in the last couple of years, and while I still think I'm blonde, my mum has started to claim I'm a light brunette (which makes me sad, for some reason). So here I give you a collection of pictures to illustrate. They're all taken close to a window in daylight, and haven't been retouched at all. My colour changes so much depending on the light.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Hair/whatcolourami.png

A few more:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Hair/DSCN9879.jpg http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Hair/DSCN9887.jpg http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Hair/DSCN9932.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Hair/DSCN9893.png

As you can see, my length is quite different from my roots (though it's all virgin) and the underlayer is clearly darker than the canopy. But am I still blonde, or am I just clinging to what I used to be? Dark blonde? Ash blonde? Opinions greatly appreciated!

Heavenly Locks
October 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I don't know the bun, but I'd definitely call you a blonde :) Medium golden blonde :flower:

christi.adell
October 16th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I agree with the Medium Golden Blonde :)

Harriet
October 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Definately blonde! The description sounds like a nautilus to me.

RadiantNeedle
October 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Beautiful blonde! *nodnod*

Yozhik
October 16th, 2010, 08:03 AM
You're definitely blond in my book. :)

Your hair is so pretty! And not anywhere close to brown (not that I don't love brown -- I'm a very dark brunette myself!).

Also, I'm not extremely sure, but your bun does sound very much like both the nautilus and hypnotica buns. My hair is still slightly too short to do it comfortably at my thickness :wail:, but it looks gorgeous on you!

MsBubbles
October 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Definitely still blonde!! It's lovely.

rags
October 16th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I think that may be a nautilus, but I'm not sure. What I am sure about is that you are most definitly a blonde! Not even a dark blonde - I'd agree with the medium blonde.

Alvrodul
October 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
You have lovely hair - and I would definitely say it is blonde. Perhaps your mum is too used to the bleached-to-death almost-white heads that I see all too many of here in Oslo? (Yes, I am another Scandinavian). :D
As to the bun, I think it is Hypnotica's Everyday bun. I like it a lot, too, and use it fairly frequently, though I tend to twist the rope more than she does in her video, so my version tends to look rather different from the end result in her video. :)

venusje
October 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM
defenitly blond....
I'm darker in colour and still people call me blond...

And for the bun, I also think it's a nautilus or one of hypnotica's creations (for me they all look the same more or less:hmm: )

schweedie
October 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thank you so much for the assurance, guys! Now I get to tell my mum "I TOLD you so." Plus "medium golden blonde" just sounds so pretty. Makes my hair sound a lot prettier than I've always considered it.

And thanks for mentioning the hypnotica bun! I'm going to go and see if I can find it and compare. It's funny - I've worn it every day for three or four days straight and it comes out differently almost every time I do it. Today's picture from above was probably the nicest it's looked so far.

You're definitely blond in my book. :)

Your hair is so pretty! And not anywhere close to brown (not that I don't love brown -- I'm a very dark brunette myself!).

Also, I'm not extremely sure, but your bun does sound very much like both the nautilus and hypnotica buns. My hair is still slightly too short to do it comfortably at my thickness :wail:, but it looks gorgeous on you!

I actually do love brown, too - I've gone both red and dark brown and loved it and never really liked my own colour, but for some reason I've suddenly begun to identify strongly with being a blonde. Strange! And thanks, I do love that bun. :D

You have lovely hair - and I would definitely say it is blonde. Perhaps your mum is too used to the bleached-to-death almost-white heads that I see all too many of here in Oslo? (Yes, I am another Scandinavian).
Thank you! About the bleached blondeness, that's very possible. I always keep an eye out for blonde hair when I'm in town, and it's really unusual to see natural blondes without highlights or the full-on bleached white. If that's your reference, anything darker than white is going to look brunette. ;)

pepperminttea
October 16th, 2010, 11:20 AM
It looks like a nautilus, but I make mine without twisting, so I'm not entirely sure. A hybrid? :)

And most definitely blonde.

schweedie
October 16th, 2010, 12:58 PM
All right, after looking at Hypnotica's videos, I seems I start out sort of like I'm doing a hypnobun or a workhouse twist, but after I fold the loop back I just put the hairstick in going under the twisted tail and out again on the other side.

It looks like a nautilus, but I make mine without twisting, so I'm not entirely sure. A hybrid? :)

That was my first thought - I can't pull off a nautilus the way I see it done in tutorials, but I figured this was just another way of achieving the same bun. Whatever it is, it works. :D

little_acorn
October 16th, 2010, 01:03 PM
The bun looks great and I agree it's nautilus/Hypnotica's bun

Colour - I agree you are definitely blonde, I'd probably say medium blonde if pushed :) - it's definitely a pretty colour!

triumphator!
October 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
You're definitely still a blonde. In dark lighting you look like a bronde. Nowhere near light brown though.

princessp
October 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Blonde. Beautiful hair too.

serious
October 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Beautiful blonde!
And an awesome hairstick :)

Joliebaby
October 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Yup, medium golden blonde!! (You shouldn ALWAYS listen to your mom :D )

maria_asa
October 17th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I agree with everyone: Definitely blonde and very pretty.

Noortje
October 17th, 2010, 03:08 AM
*wildly nodding*:agree:
Definitely blond, very lovely! And the bun, well, I make a Noortje original every day... Just because they always turn out a little different... :D

mariika
October 17th, 2010, 06:53 AM
sweetie, you are so blond it hurts my eyes, you cannot claim you are brown under any light whatsoever, you are most definitely blonde and not even dark or ash, like many have already stated - you are somewhere around medium golden blonde. I am much darker than you and I am blonde no matter how hard I try to deny it (and unlike you I can pull the non-blonde thing off with my hair colour, especially in an updo)
you are lucky to have this great hair! not a fan of colour but really awesome and healthy structure!