PDA

View Full Version : Hair problems + never clarified in my life...

Starblanket
October 16th, 2010, 03:20 AM
One day in 2008 I washed my hair with a shampoo my sister had brought over. For the next two months my hair was soft, never tangly, and looked like I pin curled them.

2010 and it has completely changed. Plenty of fly-aways and frizziness. Whenever I leave my hair down, even just after five minutes of simply sitting still, my hair "sticks" together and forms these clumps which then turn into knots. I'm thinking the shampoo my sister brought with her could have been a clarifying shampoo, or this could be a characteristic of fine hair and I've never noticed it before.
This is a mystery I intend to solve. :cool: What do you think?

RitaPG
October 16th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I have two kinds of shampoos, one that is VERY moisturizing, it makes my hair so very soft and pretty :crush: but I can't use it all the time because after a while it feels heavy. So I alternate between the moisturizing and a more stripping shampoo (either baby shampoo with sls or one formulated for oily hair)
Not knowing what shampoos you were using, there isn't a lot I can say. Maybe you should go back to using the one you liked better :)

Anje
October 16th, 2010, 06:28 AM
It could be a bit of both. My hair also tends to clump and tangle a bit, and some of this is the texture. At the same time, if you don't normally use shampoo or rotate to different brands, you very well might need to clarify.

Why not get a clarifying shampoo (VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze is a good one, so's Suave Daily Clarifying) and see if it makes a difference?

aisling
October 16th, 2010, 06:33 AM
It's really difficult to say and to help you, as you provide no info on your current washing (and perhaps styling) routine.

FrannyG
October 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Well, I have found that no matter what treatment I use, my hair is fine and it does tend to separate and go piece-y very shortly after combing or brushing. It has since I was a child. It even did that back in the days that I had perms. For some of us, that's just a fact of life.

I'm more interested in what your current routine is. That would give us a better idea.

Starblanket
October 16th, 2010, 03:06 PM
It's really difficult to say and to help you, as you provide no info on your current washing (and perhaps styling) routine.

Apologies for not including more information. :) I don't use cones and am currently COing every three days with two conditioners and alternating them. I finger comb my hair in the shower, add a few drops of olive oil, and then rope braid it; this is the only way which makes my hair not frizzy. I use SMT two times a month as well.

I'll try finding a clarifying shampoo later, but my choices are limited unfortunately.

Starblanket
October 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
The closest thing I could find was Herbal Essences Drama Clean shampoo, I'll wash my hair this evening and see how it goes.

aisling
October 17th, 2010, 01:17 AM
If you CO, yes, I think your hair might benefit from a clarifying, even with a cone free routine. Other conditioner ingredients can also build up on your hair and as someone who is rather prone to buildup, I always recommend clarifying first as a first step if you have weird hair. You don't always have to find a particular clarifying or deep cleansing shampoo as they're called in some languages (Finnish and Swedish for example), a full strength, "normal" sulphate shampoo might also do the trick. Sometimes, if the buildup is really bad, you might have to lather twice or use shampoo for two washes.

Good luck!

Starblanket
October 17th, 2010, 01:30 AM
If you CO, yes, I think your hair might benefit from a clarifying, even with a cone free routine. Other conditioner ingredients can also build up on your hair and as someone who is rather prone to buildup, I always recommend clarifying first as a first step if you have weird hair.

How often should I clarify? My hair is still damp and in a rope braid, so the results should be viewable by tomorrow.

Thanks for the good luck! :)

aisling
October 17th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Whenever you feel like your hair might need it. When your ends get dry and tangle like mad, when they behave like velcro and just stick to each other or when your hair seems lank and greasy and never gets clean. For some this never happens, other clarify twice a year and yet other people once a month. Once a month or every two months might be suitable for a CO:er, but there's definitely no set rule.

FrannyG
October 17th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Yes, everything that Aisling said is what I would say as well. And I just wanted to mention that Herbal Essences Drama Clean is a very effective clarifying shampoo.

Please make sure that you moisturize your hair very well after clarifying, maybe do an SMT, and if possible use a diluted vinegar rinse as a final or almost final rinse to make sure the cuticle is closed. It can open up a bit after clarifying.

Starblanket
October 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
After clarifying I did deep condition and do an ACV rince. My hair is now much less tangly and flyaway, however the frizz still formed. Thanks for the help everyone!

I think the frizz may be related to something else entirely although. When I was younger I had 3a/3b hair, but my parents either cut it off or the texture changed over time. The actual "frizzy" hairs are not frizzy, but rather the mentioned hair texture, it's as if they don't have enough weight to hold them down. Needless to say I don't know what to do about this. :p