PDA

View Full Version : Long hair is good exercise!

Igor
May 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Today I wanted to make a figure 8 bun (Yes, I’m still incredibly proud I can do that one now!) but the mane was being very uncooperative. Three tries and a lot of cursing later, I had to give up as it was getting too dry to make a more complicated style with. I then decided to go for a braided bun that usually is pretty easy for me to do. Mane still refused to cooperate and it took me four tries, lots of cursing and some leave in-spray to force it into submission
In triumph, I wanted to lift my arms, but oooww! Were my arms tired! :bigeyes:

You really get a good arm and shoulder workout from putting stubborn hair up!
Not to mention the finger strength you get from forcing an elastic around 3 times when it can barely go 2½ times around :lol:
And a nice back of legs-stretch and back workout when you lean forward to rinse
Of course the neck muscles will slowly adjust and grow stronger too as the hair grows heavier

And just to mention that all the things that helps your hair grow, is all good for you! Exercise, a good diet, staying away from smoking, not being stressed, etc etc

Long hair is good for you! :graduate:

Tashomani
May 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM
hahaha That was funny! You are good with words! I had a clear mental picture of myself doing all the things you describe! Cute post!

Pegasus Marsters
May 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Haha I agree. I'm sure my arms were stronger in the days when I'd spend hours and hours braiding my hair.

Florida Mom
May 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
HAHA SO true!

When I did my first dutch braid last week - I thought my arms would fall off!

hurricane_gia
May 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Definitely good exercise! I have to say, my neck muscles are really benefiting from all the updos. :)

morgwn
May 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I absolutely had to check out this thread when I saw the title. :laugh:

But seriously, how right you are, Igor! I have found that being part of the updo challenge for the year has actually helped my arm muscles be maintained even though I've been naughty with 'regular' exercise this year (i.e. haven't been doing enough!) And hey, if we get the added bonus of exercising various upper-body muscles along with the look and feel and everything else we love about long hair, I say 'sweet'! :D

Saranne772
May 27th, 2008, 10:11 AM
LOL that is funny ;) And very true.

HeavenlyTresses
May 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM
When I am trying to comb out my hair and make a french or dutch braid I have to stop and lean my elbow against a wall or doorframe to rest while holding the strands in place. Not to mention the twists and turns making you look like a pretzel trying to go from both arms up to pulling the braid around to finish it up.

lilalong
May 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Haha. You are funny.

spidermom
May 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Indeed! I have been contemplating writing an article entitled something like "long hair for fitness". This past weekend I was determined to find a way to make 2 braids stay pinned to my head. They kept slipping out of place. After a few tries of lifting/pinning, the braid would become so loose at the nape that I'd have to re-braid. Over and over again I tried this. It never worked. It's frustrating. I look so forward to adding more length, then I get it, and I have to re-learn how to put it up.

At the old LHC I wrote a photo progression called "getting fit with the dread-hawk," which is a series of small braids going straight down the middle of the head from forehead to nape. Besides the braiding motions, when I was holding strands in place with one hand and resting the other arm, I would do some pelvic rolls and other lower body exercises. I felt quite well worked out after braiding that one!

kimki
May 27th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Hehe thats funny. It's true I get so frustrated my arms get sooo tired!

domonic_uk
May 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I never viewed hair like that before

AJoifulNoise
May 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I know just what you mean! It is a work out! Some days after I struggle to make my hair submit to a style my arms wind up shaking rather violently.

julya
May 27th, 2008, 01:01 PM
That is just how I feel on a day when my hair is being naughty.

Radulfr
May 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Making a long braid with my mid-back hair always gives my upper arms a good workout. :agree:

nicolezoie
May 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM
... not to mention strong stomach/core muscles while length-washing down my backside...:rolleyes:

DotDotDot
May 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM
So true! This happens whenever I try french braiding or getting a celtic knot to stay with just my ficcare... I can't get it to work! I'll keep my arms raised forever and finally I'll just give up and let them flop down, exhausted.

teeleigh
May 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I was just thinking about this exact thing the last time I did a french braid: How much more exhausting will this be when I reach waist and (hopefully) tailbone? I guess I'll have to start taking a rest about halfway through!:rolleyes: