PDA

View Full Version : Is this lightening my hair?

angelfell
October 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM
So this morning, I got creative and decided to use some stuff from my cabinet to make a hair treatment. All I could find that I remembered reading about putting in hair was coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and clover honey. So, I threw them all together, put it in my hair, wrapped it with saran wrap and put a towel over it to keep it warm, and washed an hour later. My hair is semi-permanent dyed black, and when my hair dried after washing the treatment out, not only was it soft & shiny.. but I found lighter highlights throughout :o.

Did I accidentally compose the right recipe to lighten hair? If so.. I don't mind, I've been aching to do something different, and I don't think it's damaging it. I wish I could post some pictures but, the camera is on the fritz. All of it now looks like a dark brown, with a shade or two lighter highlights in it. It's neat :p.

Carriegirl
October 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I just know that honey is supposed to be a lightener. So if you're happy with the results, then hurray!!! It sounds like it all came out beautifully! (I wish you could post pics though!)

Will you try it again for lighter results?

angelfell
October 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Haha yeah I know , I can use my moms cam tomorrow I'm sure. Yes I will continue, I'm curious to whether it will lighten it even more :o ..

MissManda
October 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Honey is indeed used to lighten hair. :) You can reduce its lightening properties by heating it in the microwave before you apply it to hair. Too bad your camera isn't working right now.

I loved it when I did my first SMT because it made my hair smell delicious. I am a honey fiend so I find the concept of putting it into my hair instead of eating it a bit... challenging because I start to argue with myself on whether I want to eat it or put it on my head/mix it for SMT. Hee hee. :0

Ah, how I love experimenting with hair. :D

ktani
October 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM
So this morning, I got creative and decided to use some stuff from my cabinet to make a hair treatment. All I could find that I remembered reading about putting in hair was coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and clover honey. So, I threw them all together, put it in my hair, wrapped it with saran wrap and put a towel over it to keep it warm, and washed an hour later. My hair is semi-permanent dyed black, and when my hair dried after washing the treatment out, not only was it soft & shiny.. but I found lighter highlights throughout :o.

Did I accidentally compose the right recipe to lighten hair? If so.. I don't mind, I've been aching to do something different, and I don't think it's damaging it. I wish I could post some pictures but, the camera is on the fritz. All of it now looks like a dark brown, with a shade or two lighter highlights in it. It's neat :p.

You have used the basic elements of the honey lightening recipes here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148.

If you want to try yo go lighter see the first post for recipes (pictures are at the bottom of the post).

The recommended ratio is 1 tabelespoon honey to 6 tablespoons distilled water. The recommeded amount of oil is 1 tablespoon maximum of either oil to avoid the hair becoming too oily. You can also patch test and try the spices. The hair needs to be kept very wet throughout a treatment. See the various links on the topics.

angelfell
October 15th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Eheh I understand the honey fiend thing, when I go to dennys I eat it right out of the packet :p

Ktani (sorry I can't quote, I'm on my blackberry).. My original intended result for my creation was to oil it, so I used way more oil then you recommend (it washed out fine). Is that ok? Will it prevent the honey from working as well? I didn't even think about the lightening thing until I noticed it.. I guess I just added it because it was in the SMT when I used it haha.

ktani
October 15th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Eheh I understand the honey fiend thing, when I go to dennys I eat it right out of the packet :p

Ktani (sorry I can't quote, I'm on my blackberry).. My original intended result for my creation was to oil it, so I used way more oil then you recommend (it washed out fine). Is that ok? Will it prevent the honey from working as well? I didn't even think about the lightening thing until I noticed it.. I guess I just added it because it was in the SMT when I used it haha.

With no water at all, you will not get lightening. If your hair was damp or dry, you may just have released excess dye. Honey slowly releases peroxide when it is diluted with a liquid that contains water. Oils do not contain water. While the oils do have peroxide values, they have not been reported to lighten hair on their own, used straight.

When all of the same ingredients get together with the right amount of water (distilled is preferred), for a honey to produce its maximum peroxide level (at pH 6), with the oils contributing their peroxide levels, honey lightening can be optimal.

ETA: For an SMT with no possibility of lightening, microwave the honey seperately for 30 seconds to under 1 minute, to destroy the enzyme in honey that generates peroxide.

angelfell
October 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Sorry for the late response, I am actually on a computer now :). Anyways, my hair was literally wet when I applied this, so maybe that was it. But even so, next time I will do it on my hair wet AND add some conditioner or something water-based.. to see what I get :p.