PDA

View Full Version : Is the dreaded mullet really so awful??

georgia_peach
October 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I'm keeping a pixie cut right now while I remove all of my henna. Once that's accomplished, I'm seriously considering trying to grow to terminal with absolutely no trims or cuts. That means, of course, that I will need to baby my hair from the beginning, no blow drying, hairspray or damaging hair routines. I expect MANY bad hair days and a lengthy mullet phase.

Has anyone out there ever attempted this? Is the mullet REALLY so awful? ;)

rapunzhell13
October 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Not to me it isn't. Just take it as it comes... if you find you can't deal with it after so many months, just cut and don't feel guilty about it. You'll never know if you don't try. :)

Personally I'm getting through the mullet stage right now by using bandannas a LOT. All people can see is some hair coming out the back and it's not obviously a mullet. I'm not cutting until I can get ALL my hair into a ponytail. Trimming the back delays this by too long for my liking.

Good luck on your journey. It's actually something I might be attempting myself.

akuamoonmaui
October 15th, 2010, 06:22 PM
It's important to feel pretty/attractive no matter what length your hair is. If you're not sure if you want to endure through the mullet stage, t isn't the end of the world if you trim your hair into a pretty style while your hair is growing out. The 20's bob seems to be the "in" cut these days, then you'd have one length to start the travel down your back.

FrannyG
October 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I've seen a lot of guys and gals grow out their hair without trimming it, and honestly, I have rarely thought that their hair looks terribly mullet-y. However, even when the hair has grown long beyond the mullet stage, the hair is very uneven at the side.

Don't forget that if you're growing out a pixie, the hair above your ear and the hair above your forehead will be at considerably different lengths from the hair in front of the ears and the hair at the back of your head.

If you don't mind that, then don't trim. If you want your hair to look even when it's worn down, then you will need to trim.

Either way, it's your head and your decision.

I remember when I grew my hair out from a pixie (which I had cut because of bleach damage, many moons ago), I had to do only very little trimming to keep it looking good during grow-out. The trims barely put a dent in how long it took before my hair was well below the shoulders.

squiggyflop
October 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM
mine was very mullet like for a while due to me growing out from a pixie.. some things can help..

wearing hats
pretty scarves
wrap around the head type headbands
curling the mullety bits
putting hair up with little clippys in an intricate little twists pattern

yup.. and take some vitamins so it grows out faster.. after a while it will just look like layers..
winter is coming i suggest some fashionable hats.. they also keep the head warm which will allow you to skip the cold weather stalling a lot of people get

McFearless
October 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I'd modify the goal if I were you. Growing to terminal is great but in order to fix up the crazy layers a mullet will give you, you might have to trim it a bit here and there. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally when I had a mullet I wore a lot of headbands, mini ponytails, fedoras, basball caps and clips. Good styling can mask an akward cut.

HintOfMint
October 15th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I've seen many men grow their hair out from stort hair, and theirs never looked like a mullet. Shaggy, yes, but not the truckstop mullet we're all imagining.

If it looks bad and it bothers you, trim. If it doesn't then don't. Take it as it comes, and good luck!

GoddesJourney
October 15th, 2010, 09:08 PM
...that all depends on where you're from ;). Actually, some people get it worse than others. It probably depends on the shape of your head and how evenly your hair grows. There are ways around it, though, if you don't want to trim. Once it gets past a certain length it's just layering.

NotLostYet
October 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM
It was for me...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/lupanox/th_DSC03328.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/lupanox/?action=view&current=DSC03328.jpg)

<picture reflects tiredness and not emotional state ;)>

in fact, you won't find more than a couple photos of me from that time because it as so awful.

ambism
October 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I thought it was! Growing out from a buzz cut especially. I actually trimmed off my mullet ( 2") and that's the only trim I've had for almost two years. :shudder: Those were some dark days...

pennyroyal
October 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I am actually doing just that right now! My DH cut my hair into a pixie cut in late february & i haven't trimmed it since. I plan to grow it out as long as possible without any trims. My ultimate goal is knee length & i would love to just keep growing until then without trimming at all. I will give in if absolutley necessary but not until all of my hair fits into a ponytail.
I have a mullety thing goin on right now but i just wear a clip in the back or put it in a tiny ponytail so you can't even tell. I am excited to start wearing my hats again this winter too. :)

little_cherry
October 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Business in the front, party in the back... :D
(sorry, couldn't resist...)

I don't think the modernised mullet is that bad..it can really rock with head bands, Calorimetries (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html), head scarfs and pretty clips.

aisling
October 16th, 2010, 02:32 AM
There are mullets and mullets, I usually don't think growing out your hair looks very mullet-y at all, at least not like a "real" 80's mullet, there are a bunch of hairdos that are shorter up front and a little longer in the back without making them mullets. Check Lisa Rinna (http://www.google.com/images?q=lisa+rinna&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=y2G5TNbGJsqEOs_xrekM&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDMQsAQwAA&biw=1110&bih=643) for example (try not get caught on the lips), she's often sporting a shortish, shaggy hairdo that's a little longer in the back without making it a mullet. For real mullets, check out mulletjunky.com (http://mulletjunky.com/) for example ;)

georgia_peach
October 16th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Thank you for all the replies! I've got a scarf and beret collection started and will definitely use those to help me through the tough times. I should have mentioned that one reason I'd like to try not to trim as that I would like true fairy tale ends. :heartbeat

SeaPhoenix
October 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I did that - am just now contemplating trimming up the ends - but what used to be the grow out mullet is now barely noticeable layers (2 years growing, no trims). I'm only thinking of trimming just because I've got so many split ends that have accumulated over the past couple of years :-) (you can see some of the grow-out phase in my siggy picture)

Beets
October 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
When I was growing out from super short, I took the opportunity to get *very* creative with my styles. If your goal is terminal, then you're not going to be in this particular hair place for a long, long time! Maybe find a few things you really love about this stage and play them up?

KittyLost
October 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I don't think it will look too mullety, maybe quite layered.

Belisarius
October 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I'm keeping a pixie cut right now while I remove all of my henna. Once that's accomplished, I'm seriously considering trying to grow to terminal with absolutely no trims or cuts. That means, of course, that I will need to baby my hair from the beginning, no blow drying, hairspray or damaging hair routines. I expect MANY bad hair days and a lengthy mullet phase.

Has anyone out there ever attempted this? Is the mullet REALLY so awful? ;)
Yes, I did that about three years ago. Well without the henna part. It is highly annoying for yourself and I didn't have much pictures of myself taken but it can be done.