PDA

View Full Version : bun neck hair problem

squiggyflop
October 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
um im not sure how to word this.. but i have trouble turning my head when i have my hair in a bun... it seems my neck hair is preventing this.. because the neck hair is suddenly long enough to fit into the bun.. it used to be short and broken off.. im not sure if im explaining it well enough..

i can turn my head just not as far as i would like to because the newly long hairs are catching and pulling.. because the hair is attached to the skin that needs to move for me to turn my head..

so yeah thats how it is..

wvgemini
October 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about. I always had that issue when I would sock bun for work. Really (and unfortunately), the only thing I found that worked was to
1. Deal with it
2. try to gently loosen it after bunning
or 3. Cut it ( the troublesome bits)

Sorry I can't be of much help. I know that is a pain (literally!) to deal with.

enfys
October 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I don't know what to suggest because I have the same issues. I hope someone has some suggestions. All I've been doing is kind of pulling and pushing at my neck to encourage the hairs to loosen a bit. Probably not doing it much good though...

pepperminttea
October 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I get the same thing. I try to do the bun looser at the bottom but it ends up not really working and half-falling out, so I can't recommend that method.

squiggyflop
October 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
well at least im not alone

Anje
October 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Yep, I get that from time to time....

More often, though, I get sick of my neck hairs and trim them short. That takes care of that problem for a few months, til they're long enough to end up in low buns again.

squiggyflop
October 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Yep, I get that from time to time....

More often, though, I get sick of my neck hairs and trim them short. That takes care of that problem for a few months, til they're long enough to end up in low buns again.im actually getting it with high buns too now

HairColoredHair
October 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Maybe it would pull less with a low bun? Or a braided bun?

All my nape hair goes into a bun, but I don't think I have this problem... unless I don't notice it...

Anje
October 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM
From your album, I'd say you have less neck hair than me, HCH. It goes down at least 3 inches from the main bulk of my hairline, on the sides. It's this really low stuff that pulls.

misstwist
October 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I had mine waxed in August. Cost me $15. Husband helps me maintain using pre-waxed strips designed for facial hair.

All fixed and I'm tickled pink I did it.

ravenreed
October 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I tip my head forward when I bun so the hairs down there are loose when my head is up normally, but it leaves enough give so that I can turn my head and lean forward without pain.

jojo
October 17th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Ive just started getting this too! I think its best to do slightly higher buns and let the growing neck hairs grow and hang loose, if we put them into a low bun, every time we turn our head it causes friction and therefore breakage. Once the neck hairs have grown a few more inches, they shouldnt be a problem, just bobby clip them as near to the bun if they really bother you but i think they look rather cute!

Yozhik
October 17th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I'd also suggest higher buns, and maybe slightly looser ones, because I've had that happen to me, but if you make a higher, looser bun, then it kind of falls a little lower once you've made it, which gives plenty of slack for the neck hairs to move without pulling.

Hope that helps!

little_cherry
October 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I just talked to my niece who has knee length hair. What she does is gathers her hair in one hand as if she was doing a pony tail in the same position as where the bun is going to be and slips one or two hair sticks or chopsticks underneath the neck hair where it pulls. She keeps the sticks in wile she's making her bun. When she's done, she slips the sticks out. She has no problems with pulling this way

RadiantNeedle
October 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I tip my head forward when I bun so the hairs down there are loose when my head is up normally, but it leaves enough give so that I can turn my head and lean forward without pain.

This!! Precisely what I do to combat the pinchy hairs!

Niwa
October 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I have a similar problem with braids and buns. So, I actually section out the nape of my hair, style the rest of my hair in a braid or bun, then wrap the nape section around the braid or bun and fasten it with a hair pin.

Naphthylamine
October 19th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I place a hairstick or chopstick in the nape of my hair parallel to the ground after I finished the bun. Then I pull the stick slowly and gently to loosen the small neck hairs.

Irnann
October 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM
When i do the bun i just pull the small hairs underneath with my fingers out.
They are short anyway, and i dont care if its looking a bit messy and not to severe;)

Pixna
October 19th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I have this problem too. What I do is, after I make the bun but before I insert the hair stick or fork, I loosen the hairs underneath the bun slightly (just gently pull them down a little using the flat palm of my hand). That usually does the trick. THEN I insert the hair toy. If they still pull a little, I remove the hair toy, loosen the hairs a bit again, and then reinsert the hair toy.

x0h_bother
October 19th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Sheesh, you don't have to brag so much about how your neck hair has grown so much and is no longer broken...:OP
Quite obviously I'm *Jealous* and as I don't have this issue myself I don't have much else to say except DON'T TRIM THEM!

growing2shine
October 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I have this neck hair problem too. A few months ago I didn't think that they could grow longer... But now they fit in the bun! I think I will try ravenreeds tip... :)

enfys
October 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM
How about the fact that when I loosen my nape hairs they will then manage to catch and pull on the end of my stick/prongs on my fork?

I should just stop turning my head; that would solve all the problems!