PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Sores/ Pantene. Related?

Angel_Abby
October 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I had been doing mostly CO'ing with a few CWC's thrown in to combat buildup from my product. I have completely stopped heat treatment, and have wavy hair. If I scrunch it a bit with gel while wet I get nice waves that I can wear down. Otherwise my hair looks messy (some waves, some curls, some flat) and has to be worn up.

Anyway, I am using Pantene gel. (Can get the entire name if needed). I like the smell, and its not rockhard when it dries.

Soon after I started this gel, I got a few 'spots' on my head. Not red. Just little patches. Of course, I picked. And picked... and now, I can't keep my hands out of my hair!:o So now I am sore, and still have an urge to pick at my head. I got some T/gel to heal up the sores, and know that the picking has to be 'stopped' on its own... but has anyone ever heard of Pantene causing this type of issue.

BTW, the patches were not itchy. I just can't stand to leave anything alone, whether it be on my face or on my head I guess!:o:o

Also, any suggestions for gel or mousse that might not be as irritating?

BrightEyes7
October 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I have never used their styling products but I had a similar issue with the shampoo and conditioner.

The styling products I like are Aussie. They smell SOOOOO good, way better than Pantene, but they leave your hair very soft. The hair sprays and gels don't get really crunchy. Plus they're super cheap!

Angel_Abby
October 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks! I was eyeing that product line this morning! I'll try them out and see whats what! :)

jane53
October 15th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Pantene definitely gives me scalp sores and other issues. I'm a Suave Naturals Coconut nut.

virgo75
October 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
How long have you been CO washing?
I ask because it could be buildup from that
When I CO wash consistantly I have horrible scalp problems and I didn't even use any styling products. Just conditioner and more conditioner. I would clarify and that would help for a bit, but then my scalp would rebel again.

I used Pantene exclusively for over a decade and never had a problem. I also have used their curly hair gel and didn't have a problem with that either. :shrug: Again, it could be buildup from the CO + styling products or an allergic reaction if you've never used their products.

Hope that helps. :flower:

Forgot to add - Herbal Essences has really good hair gels that work well and smell good. :)

Anje
October 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM
You might want to test a bit of the gel on the inside of your elbow. See if it reacts.

I know some folks complain that CO washing causes them all sorts of scalp problems. FWIW, CO washing is very benign to my scalp, while I find little scabby bits more if I use shampoo regularly. Not to mention it gets itchy and dry, then starts churning out oil. CO washing might be causing you problems, but I would eliminate the gel as a culprit first, especially if you like the results!

ETA: Consider wearing some bandanas or pretty scarves on your head for a while to help combat the picking. Some of us are "picky" people -- you may need a physical deterrent like a scarf to break that cycle.

girlcat36
October 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I used to get scalp sores(like pimples) quite a bit when using conventional mass-marketed hair care before joining LHC. The main culprits were Pantene and Loreal.
I now use a very gentle organic shampoo---no more scalp sores.

Angel_Abby
October 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
How long have you been CO washing?
I ask because it could be buildup from that
When I CO wash consistantly I have horrible scalp problems and I didn't even use any styling products. Just conditioner and more conditioner. I would clarify and that would help for a bit, but then my scalp would rebel again.

:)

A few months now. Maybe just long enough for my scalp to be screaming at me! :p

Pantene definitely gives me scalp sores and other issues. I'm a Suave Naturals Coconut nut.

I love coconut!

ETA: Consider wearing some bandanas or pretty scarves on your head for a while to help combat the picking. Some of us are "picky" people -- you may need a physical deterrent like a scarf to break that cycle.

Thanks! I was considering wearing socks on my hands all day... LOL:p

I used to get scalp sores(like pimples) quite a bit when using conventional mass-marketed hair care before joining LHC. The main culprits were Pantene and Loreal.
I now use a very gentle organic shampoo---no more scalp sores.

This is my first real deal with them. Its not pleasant!:o