PDA

View Full Version : Question about finger combing

Leone
October 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hi,
I am trying the finger combing after washing my hair. It seems that I end up pulling out a lot of hair because it sticks to my fingers when it is wet. Am I supposed to wait until it is dry?

The last two times I resorted to my old plastic comb, but I would really like to get this technique right.

Any suggestions?

HintOfMint
October 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
If you're feeling snapping and snagging, as if the hair is tearing, then maybe you don't have the right texture to fingercomb wet hair. If it's coming out easily, then it could just be shed hair that didn't come out during your wash.
You could try fingercombing dry for the sake of experimentation. I couldn't do it, but I'm wavy and mostly coarse, so it could work for you.

BrightEyes7
October 15th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I tried finger combing for a bit. Didn't work for me.

But I found it worked better to wait until the hair was dry. It was a very strange thing for me because I was scared the my hair was going to dry into frizzy deadlock looking mess that I come out of the shower with. It wasn't that bad but I felt my hair was a lot frizzier with finger combing. I also have a different hair type than you.

I would definately second the notion to experiment with not combing until dry.

manderly
October 15th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I finger comb when wet, but only because my hair is full of about a handful of conditioner and I'm a curly. I can't fingercomb without conditioner.

Either try waiting for your hair to dry or use a conditioner (if you aren't already) to give you more slip.

virgo75
October 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I only finger comb while I'm in the shower and have conditioner in my hair.

I also found that using my fingers or a comb instead of a brush seems to pull out hair instead of detangle. I don't think a comb or my fingers 'give' the same way a brush does. :shrug:

But others have more success with it I guess.

2peasinapod
October 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Same here. I can't really do anything to my hair when it's wet without breaking it. I fingercomb sometimes, but I have to wait until it's dry. If I do it wet, it dries frizzy and stringy. :(

Leone
October 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions!

My hair got almost dry while I was waiting for responses and the finger combing became MUCH easier at that point!

I think I was apprehensive about it becoming so tangled it would stay that way. You know how it is when you try something new... old theories and ideas have to be done away with sometimes.

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks! Well, I'm not a dog, nor all that old either, but the principle is the same! :)

akuamoonmaui
October 16th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I finger comb my hair in sections, pulling about an inch dia. of hair away from my head at a time. I tend to smooth the hair first, too by running my fingers and thumb down the length then "combing".

GrowingGlory
October 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Be sure to rinse your conditioner out completely. Maybe a diluted vinegar rinse will remove sticky residue from your hair and facilitate damage free finger combing.

AreWild
October 16th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I almost exclusively finger comb. I finger comb my dry hair right before washing to detangle and pull sheds. Then I do it in the shower while my hair is coated in conditioner. I'm careful to try and avoid tangling my hair while rinsing, and towel dry gently in the direction of growth. So far I've had good luck with this method and simply don't comb my hair at all when it's wet. Once it's dried I can finger comb as much as I want without causing damage. Obviously, make sure your hands and nails are in good shape. Dry skin and rough nails will snag hair.

podo
October 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I have hair similar to yours I think.. I can't fingercomb for exactly what you said: it catches on or sticks to my fingers and breaks and snaps all over the place.

Either comb it out with a comb (I've got a special one that's designed for detangling wet hair but any hair-friendly comb will work if you're careful) or wait until it dries and then gently brush it out (or use whatever your detangling method is). My hair is horribly tangled and matted and just.. UGH!.. when it's wet. When I was using catnip rinses I couldn't do anything while it was wet because it was too tangled and matted - I was so scared I'd have to soak in straight cones to get it untangled that first time! Lo and behold, after it was dry I had no trouble with it. After that I learned that if it's too messed up to cooperated when damp/wet, just let it dry and things will be better. :)

anthonyswife
October 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I only finger comb my hair when I'm in the shower and have lots of conditioner in. I typically leave it alone once it's dry, although lately I've tried combing it with a wide-toothed comb the day after I wash and I like the results so far.

Neneka
October 17th, 2010, 03:04 AM
I can't do anything with my hair if it's wet or damp. It's too fragile and breaks easily and I think combing when wet actually makes tangles that I don't usually have too much (slippery hair).

Niwa
October 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have found that how well fingercombing works depends a lot on one's hair type. I used to fingercomb and over the course of several months, I noticed that my hair became thinner; the strands sticking to my hand were not my imagination nor were they just shed hairs. Now, I use a wide-tooth comb and all is well.

luxepiggy
October 18th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I've been fingercombing exclusively for years; typically I do a thorough detangling in the shower, with conditioner in. Then if I'm careful when rinsing, it tends to stay detangled, so there's not really anything to do afterwards.

Also, you are starting from the ends and working your way up, right? Just checking (^(oo)^)v

heidihug
October 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I never fingercomb, comb or brush when my hair is wet - just too much breakage. I wait until it is nearly dry, if I must detangle. Otherwise, fully dry works best.

Nicoliee
January 13th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I finger comb my hair in sections, pulling about an inch dia. of hair away from my head at a time. I tend to smooth the hair first, too by running my fingers and thumb down the length then "combing".
I do this sometimes too. I don't generally have problems finger combing.

CurlySoleil
January 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I found that my hair is much easier to detangle when it is dampened with water/vatika oil or water/cheap conditioner. I used to detangle on wet hair and I lost so much hair! Wet hair tends to be very fragile (and my 4a hair is already fragile enough). I prefer to use my fingers to "comb" my hair. But, no matter what I use, I always remember to be gentle with my hair. It takes me *hours* to detangle because I move slowly. Well, that and the fact that I have a ton of kinky-curls growing out of my scalp. :)

Anywhere
January 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I am also one of the ones who fingercombs with conditioner-soaked hair. I wouldn't dare touch it if it didn't have conditioner in it. :eek:

Alix
January 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I finger comb with a ton of conditioner in the shower. I can also finger comb when it's dry but I have to be a lot slower.

Amraann
January 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I finger comb with a ton of conditioner in the shower. I can also finger comb when it's dry but I have to be a lot slower.

Yup! This ^

However I switched products and only CO and that helps ALOT as far as less breakage goes.

mira-chan
January 13th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I finger comb dry hair only. My dry hair does not stick to my fingers at all. I do not detangle wet hair in any which way, conditioner or not.

tinti
January 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I'm just waiting untill my hair is totally dry, and then brushing it, maybe you could try that with fingercombing as well, if you need to comb?