PDA

View Full Version : OK, here's a pic of my bang-line...ugh!

CanadaSquirrel
October 15th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I'm posting this pic (from 2008 but it really shows my bang line well) so I can ask for suggestions on what to do about this ugly bang-line. See how the line is so visible? And it has such a sharp angle at the corner. I do not like the way my bangs are. Is there some minor change that can be done to make them look better, not such a noticeable bald-strip along the roof of my head where my bangs sprout out?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k222/Thanksgiving2003/MeandChadApr08b.jpg

Toothe
October 15th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Cute picture! :)

I think your hair will always part like that as long as some of it is pulled back and some is combed forward. Have you ever tried side-swept bangs? That might make the line less noticeable.

CanadaSquirrel
October 15th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Cute picture! :)

I think your hair will always part like that as long as some of it is pulled back and some is combed forward. Have you ever tried side-swept bangs? That might make the line less noticeable.

Actually, that is something I am considering (side swept bang), and I had a thread about it on here yesterday!

manderly
October 15th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I think sideswept bangs tend to make a triangular shape on your head. It's a matter of taste, but I agree, no matter what bangs you have, when you pull back your hair you'll have a noticeable line :)

CanadaSquirrel
October 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I do think, though, that there must be a way to make the line less harsh so it doesn't show up so noticeably, maybe if it gets cut into a different shape, but I don't know what shape. In years past, hairdressers cut my bangs into an inverted V shape, feathering them with layers, but I don't want the feathered look anymore.

CanadaSquirrel
October 15th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Like this girl here - her line isn't showing up so drastically with a ponytail, but then she's got quite thick bangs. Not sure I'd want mine that thick, but maybe.

http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/pony-tail-and-bangs_558x803.jpg

Hmm.... then again, maybe the line IS showing up but it's hard to tell in that light.

manderly
October 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I can see the line, it's hard to tell because she's a platinum blonde and in very bright light ;)

Here's Zooey Deschanel, an actress well known for her very bold bangs

http://girlstalkinsmack.com/zooey-deschanel-is-everyones-perfect-girlfriend/

You can see quite clearly the line.

ETA: Her bangs are also triangular, like I mentioned above, and wider than yours. The triangle may be what makes the line less harsh across your head.

nemileo
October 15th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I think your line is visible cause you don`t have a lot of hair cut into bangs. Maybe if you make your bangs thicker`? Or make a side part? I am not shore if you are willing to change your hair style?

Very cute picture, and to be honest I think your hair, with the bang line, looks very pretty!

CanadaSquirrel
October 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Here's Zooey Deschanel, an actress well known for her very bold bangs

http://girlstalkinsmack.com/zooey-deschanel-is-everyones-perfect-girlfriend/

You can see quite clearly the line.

ETA: Her bangs are also triangular, like I mentioned above, and wider than yours. The triangle may be what makes the line less harsh across your head.

Funny you mention Zooey as she is an example I always have in mind as to how I want my hair to look, especially the way she has it in Yes Man. I posted about that in my recent thread about side bangs.

CanadaSquirrel
October 15th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I think your line is visible cause you don`t have a lot of hair cut into bangs. Maybe if you make your bangs thicker`? Or make a side part? I am not shore if you are willing to change your hair style?

Very cute picture, and to be honest I think your hair, with the bang line, looks very pretty!

I'm thinking you may well be right about the bang line being so visible because my bangs are thin. They're actually thicker than that now, two years or so after that pic was taken, but that pic really shows it clearly so I used it. Anyway, they're still not cut in a nice shape (I did them myself last time and I think I really messed up).

Yes, I'm willing to change my hairstyle, but not drastically. I still want long hair.

Oh, my, I've said that to hairdressers in the past and had three traumatic experiences over their interpretation of the word "long hair". Three separate times, I said, "I want to keep my hair long"... once I was 13 and my hair was almost to my waist. I said, "Give me a cut that suits my face but keep it long." They cut it to shoulder length and I was devastated.

The next time I was 19 and it was past BSL. I showed them a picture of what I wanted and said, "Can you do this on the sides only but keep the length?"

They said, "Sure! Not a problem!"

Again, my hair was hacked nearly to my shoulders. I said, "That's not long." They picked up my hair and said, "Sure it is, look," as they held up a mirror and said, "You've still got LOTS of length." (Maybe compared to THEM, but not the length I walked in there with!!! They took off I'd guess around 6-8".)

The third time was when I was 36, after I'd discovered Long Hair Lovers actually, and had learned how to measure my hair. It was about 25" long when I walked in. I said to go ahead and layer it but please keep it long. And again they went hackers on me and I had 17" hair.

Anyway, that's beside the point. My hairdresser now is a lady who understands long hair and in fact her hair is almost the exact same length and style as mine.

So, yeah, quite possibly if I have more bangs cut in, it won't look as bad.

jane53
October 15th, 2010, 05:51 PM
My bangs do that if they're that thin. I cut my bangs thicker. I cut my own bangs; I like the way my hair dresser trims the rest of my hair, but I like my bang trims better. And it works out since I need bang trims much more often!

Carolyn
October 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Remember that thicker bangs will mean a thinner ponytail or braid. Just a thought.

jane53
October 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Remember that thicker bangs will mean a thinner ponytail or braid. Just a thought.

Actually, it doesn't make much if any difference with my hair.

CanadaSquirrel
October 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM

For me, that would be a plus. I like to throw my hair up into a bun to get it out of the way during chores, but it has become quite heavy to do that.

CanadaSquirrel
October 15th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Here's another picture of bangs I like:

http://blog.discountbeautycenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/erin.jpg

akuamoonmaui
October 15th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I prefer bangs, too and have had your style but didn't find it as flattering as I wanted, so after a lot of trials (some ending badly) I found a bang style I like that isn't too bold, but not too wispy either.

I forget where I learned this from, I think Utube, but with correct posture, take a comb and lay it flat on your head, and "rock" it back and forth, where it naturally makes contact with your head is where your "natural" bang should start. Rather than cut it straight across, I use that point as a point and make a triangle to my pupils for my bang. Making the triangle seems to be more natural to how (my) hair hangs. :scissors::thumbsup:

I also trim the bottom of my bangs pointing the scissors up and at an angle so I'm making little triangles (this seems to be a theme.....), that makes for a softer hem (?) ~ do bangs have a hem?? ~

That's what works for me!!

FrannyG
October 15th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Well, to get the Zooey Deschanel look, you need to cut your bangs much further back. I have done that myself, and I'm fine with that because I like my hair with thick bangs, and I always have. It is a bold statement though and requires a long growing-out period if you get tired of them.

Having thicker bangs does mean that you lose some overall volume, but you've already mentioned that you don't mind that.

I think that if you really don't like your bang-line, you'd likely enjoy either thicker bangs, or growing them out completely.

While I think side bangs would suit you, I suspect that you'd still dislike your bang-line. Also, with 1b hair, it might take a bit of work to keep side-swept bangs from falling straight down in your face.

manderly
October 15th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I didn't particularly like this tutorial, but you can see how far back her bangs start (same as Zooey's) and how it makes a triangle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvFA7OAt6h4

It does take a lot more hair and you don't have that line you dislike. I never was brave enough to give up that much of my hair to my bangs (if I didn't like them) so mine were wimpy.

You can easily do it yourself ;)

CrowningGlory
October 15th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Well I actually like your bang line and that's the look I'm aiming for. I've had the inverted V for years and want a change and I've always liked the fact that wispy bangs blend in well when hair is down. Since I part my hair on the side (my hair will not part in the middle) I've never liked the triangle shape when my hair's down.

Have you tried just leaving a few longer strands out when you pull your hair back? If you feel that softens the look, you could then trim them to chin length. That way they'll still go in updos if you want them out of your face. Just a thought. It's a look that I find quite flattering and which softens the line.

But really, I think they look great now.

aisling
October 16th, 2010, 12:10 AM
That line will always show up like that when you pull your hair straight back without a part. If you do a side part and then pull your hair into a bun, ponytail, whatever, it will look different.

UltraBella
October 16th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I think all bangs have a line, no matter which kind they are. It is much less noticeable on light hair colors though because it kind of blends in with the scalp.
I don't think there is anything wrong with having a bang line and your picture looked just fine to me. I do like heavy bangs as well, it just depends on what suits you.
Tomorrow after I wash my hair I am going to take a pic and examine my bang line, since I just cut them one week ago :)

FrannyG
October 16th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I didn't particularly like this tutorial, but you can see how far back her bangs start (same as Zooey's) and how it makes a triangle.

It does take a lot more hair and you don't have that line you dislike. I never was brave enough to give up that much of my hair to my bangs (if I didn't like them) so mine were wimpy.

I agree with you; it's not the best tutorial as regards the cutting technique, but it really does show you how deep and triangular you have to cut into your hair to get that look. And as I said before; it's a bold statement and quite a commitment as far a the amount of hair that goes into the bangs.

I've always had bangs, so it was no big deal for me to cut them (I have no photos since I thickened them up that much--and I did do mine myself). But it's certainly not for everyone.

And of course, as Ultrabella said, there is still a line when you wear an updo; it's just not as up-front as thinner bangs, but it is visible from the sides.

Carolyn
October 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Actually, it doesn't make much if any difference with my hair.Growing my bangs out added 1/4"+ to my ponytail circumference and they weren't all that thick when I had them.

Chamomile betty
October 16th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I have always had a bang line. I have my barber thin them so they are not so chunky. That's helped a good bit to soften the bang line. Also, I will comb then to one side and mist with a little hair spray. I do put one velcro roller in my bangs to help them go to the side. You could use a roller of your choice.

lapushka
October 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
And it has such a sharp angle at the corner. I do not like the way my bangs are. Is there some minor change that can be done to make them look better, not such a noticeable bald-strip along the roof of my head where my bangs sprout out?

Maybe take the outer bits back into your hair (the top pieces of the outer corners of your bangs). This way the line is rounded. Hmm, how do I explain this better? :confused:

Maybe it'll make it stand out less for you.

aenflex
October 16th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Great photo - cute child! Have you thought about growing them out to maybe nose or chin length? Has someone already suggested that? Anyway I don't think they are so bad :) I look a fright with bangs so it's very rare than when my hair is long I even have bangs shorter than chin lenght...

FrannyG
October 16th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Growing my bangs out added 1/4"+ to my ponytail circumference and they weren't all that thick when I had them.

I believe it. My thick bangs have a 1 inch circumference. That's a big percentage of my hair.

In my case, I'm really fine with it, because having bangs keeps the hair out of my eyes. When my bangs are grown out, I have to clip them to keep my hair out of my face, and sometimes I just want to wear my hair down with no clips, no ties--nothing.

It all boils down to what is more important to us, how we feel about how we look, as well as what our hair type is.

I know there are people who think I should grow my bangs out, but I'm not...well...I think you know the rest. :p

CanadaSquirrel
October 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I believe it. My thick bangs have a 1 inch circumference. That's a big percentage of my hair.

In my case, I'm really fine with it, because having bangs keeps the hair out of my eyes. When my bangs are grown out, I have to clip them to keep my hair out of my face, and sometimes I just want to wear my hair down with no clips, no ties--nothing.

It all boils down to what is more important to us, how we feel about how we look, as well as what our hair type is.

I know there are people who think I should grow my bangs out, but I'm not...well...I think you know the rest. :p

Wow, a whole inch circumference in your bangs? I never thought of measuring mine but I should do it before and after I get them reshaped or whatever I end up doing.

And I can totally relate to bangs keeping hair out of the face. About eight years ago I grew my bangs long enough to put all my hair into a ponytail, and not only did they annoy me to death unless they were in a ponytail, nothing I did with them ever looked good on me. I think I need something to frame my face.

It definitely is an individual preference thing, to have bangs or not to have them, and then there are so many gray areas in between as to what style of bangs to have, how much bangs to have, what to do with non-bang hair, etc. Hence the popularity of this message board! :)

CanadaSquirrel
October 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Actually, I`m kinda scratching my head on this one... I don`t know the rest.

Carolyn
October 16th, 2010, 02:10 PM

I know there are people who think I should grow my bangs out, but I'm not...well...I think you know the rest. :pI just thought I'd point out that bangs can really add to ponytail circumference. I had no idea until someone pointed that out to me a long time ago. I think that was back in the day of the old LHL. I was surprised what a difference it made. It all depends on individual priorities of course. I chose to have a thicker braid. I've always been envious of those who have enough hair for some bangs and a thick braid.

FrannyG
October 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Actually, I`m kinda scratching my head on this one... I don`t know the rest.

Read Carolyn's siggy. I am not... (it's her line, I don't like to use it--feels like copyright infringement :))

I just thought I'd point out that bangs can really add to ponytail circumference. I had no idea until someone pointed that out to me a long time ago. I think that was back in the day of the old LHL. I was surprised what a difference it made. It all depends on individual priorities of course. I chose to have a thicker braid. I've always been envious of those who have enough hair for some bangs and a thick braid.

I was actually agreeing with you, by explaining how much circumference my Zooey-style bangs take up. When I grew my bangs a couple of years ago the circumference increase was one of the big appeals to me.

Then I degenerated into talking about myself. My bad. :o

CanadaSquirrel
October 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I just officially measured the circumferences of my bangs and of my ponytail. My bangs are 1-1/4 inches around, and my ponytail is 4-1/2 inches around. I didn't realize my ponytail was that thick! That puts me at a iii in that category, whereas before I was just assuming I was at a ii.

FrannyG
October 16th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Well, your hair is indeed thick. I hope you let us know what you decide to do with your bangs. :blossom:

adiapalic
October 17th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I've always thought, "If I ever got bangs, I would want them just like Zooey Deschanel's (http://www.ivstatic.com/files/et/imagecache/636/files/slides/bangs-Zooey-Deschanel.jpg)."

As a thought, she has no bang-line here because her hair is combed from a little radial crown spot on the top, and she has a LOT of bangs and a LOT combed forward and down the sides. I love the taper she has too.

Joliebaby
October 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
You could try to cut the additional bangs more from the center of your head and leave the edges of the bangs alone... so you would end up with a more curved /triangular/inverted U kinda shape to the bang line.

CanadaSquirrel
October 17th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I've always thought, "If I ever got bangs, I would want them just like Zooey Deschanel's (http://www.ivstatic.com/files/et/imagecache/636/files/slides/bangs-Zooey-Deschanel.jpg)."

As a thought, she has no bang-line here because her hair is combed from a little radial crown spot on the top, and she has a LOT of bangs and a LOT combed forward and down the sides. I love the taper she has too.

http://www.ivstatic.com/files/et/imagecache/636/files/slides/bangs-Zooey-Deschanel.jpg

I really like that look, nicely curved around her face. I think it's so much nicer than the straight-across look that I have. Some people suit straight-across bangs, but I don't think I do.

I'll bring this picture to my hairdresser, if I can get an appointment with her. She works out of her house and is so popular, she no longer takes new clients and is usually booking at least a month in advance.

And yes, I will definitely post about what I end up doing with my bangs.

Bonkers57
December 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
You're right, this video doesn't really have very good instructions, but it's got me thinking of cutting thicker bangs! (And looking for a better, more detailed tutorial.) :) Yes, they'll make my ponytail scrawnier, but my ponytail will be scrawny regardless what I do, so why not? I have a whole album devoted to the kinds of bangs I've worn over the past few years. These bangs may be worth a try.