PDA

View Full Version : Neck Hair Gallery

Honestwitness
October 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM
My neck hair is the reason I found LHC in the first place. I was looking for a solution to what I call "neck wings." When I wear a ponytail or an updo, I can't stand the way my neck hair looks. Most of the advice I have read from other LHCers is to leave the hair alone. Just let it grow. Ignore it. But, obviously, I haven't been very successful at that. I'm still obsessing about it.

I am the executive assistant to the ceo of my organization, and feel I need to look professional at work. Neck wings just don't lend themselves to a professional look. See what I mean?

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/honestwitness/20101013111728-1.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/honestwitness/20101013111446-1.jpg

So, after thinking about this since March 2009, I finally did it! I clipped my neck wings clean off!

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/honestwitness/20101015100243.jpg

I did the deed with a pair of hair thinning scissors. I chose that tool because I want something I can easily carry with me in my purse, so I can keep up with the trimming, even if I'm at work.

It took quite a few careful snip, snip, snips to get all the stubble trimmed off, but I am very pleased with the outcome.

Now, show me your neck hair pictures. Let's have a neck hair gallery, shall we?

TinaDenali
October 15th, 2010, 12:19 PM
That was very brave of you - but it looks fantastic!! I can't even see evidence of the previous neck hair after you took care of it, it looks very natural.

Honestwitness
October 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Tina. Natural is good! As long as it's not naturally ape-like, which is what I felt like pre-trim.

halo_tightens
October 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I've read so, so many threads about this on the LHC, and it always makes me feel a little strange. Am I the only person in the world who doesn't have any neck wispies??? Seriously, not a one. Even the lowest-down hairs at my back hairline are normal hairs, the same length as the rest of my hair.

When I look around at other people, I can see that most people do indeed have them. I'm not complaining, after reading about how much hassle they seem to cause for others-- but I really do get to wondering why I don't have them!!! :confused:

GeoJ
October 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Here's mine, from the side and from the back:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6413&pictureid=85803

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6413&pictureid=85804

I don't mind mine. When they work their way out of my bun they often form loose spiral curls.

ETA: That doesn't seem to have worked, I'll try to fix it so the pictures show.

Luckysock
October 15th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Yes I hate the neck wings! I even went as far as to try electrolysis to get rid of mine, but it didn't really work. When I have some extra cash I will go for laser, in the mean time I'm trimming like you.

Neneka
October 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I actually like neck hair. I have it too and I think it looks beutiful. You should not let things like that disturb you. :)

Honestwitness
October 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Halo-you're indeed fortunate to have a wing-free neck. Would you post a pic, please? I bet your neck is lovely!

Geoj, I'm anxious to see your pics. Thanks for trying anyway.

Luckysock, would you please share what tool you use for trimming and how often? And a pic, too? Pretty please?

Honestwitness
October 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Naneka, I bet YOUR neck hair IS beautiful. Although, I won't know for sure, unless you post a picture.

And I'm afraid it's too late for me to take your advice to not let it bother me. I've been letting it bother me a lot, ever since I decided to grow out my pixie. I hope your looks never bother you, even when you're long past the age when everything sags, bags, gets wrinkly and hairy, like me.

shawty
October 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I like my own neckhair, and generally wouldn't advise anyone to trim theirs if they asked me out of the blue. But I'm glad you like the outcome! It looks good on you, I think it elongates your neck. =)

Honestwitness
October 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Shawty. I thought long and hard before I did trim, for the very reason that so many LHCers advised against it. In fact, I've been thinking about it since March 2009 and disliking my neck hair all this time. But, I finally realized my neck hair was never going to grow long enough to stay up even in a low bun or pony tail. So, in the interest of not looking like a hairy old hag, I did the deed!

GeoJ
October 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I'll just post links since I can't get the pictures to show:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6413&pictureid=85803

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6413&pictureid=85804

HairFaerie
October 15th, 2010, 01:37 PM
@ halo_tightens -

I don't have them at all either. Not a one.

I wonder if it's a genetic thing...?

@ Honestwitness - The trim looks GREAT! You can't even tell you had them at all!

Caldonia Sun
October 15th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Mine are more "abundant" than yours and I hate them. I hadn't thought about just trimming. I would like to shave but it gets so itchy and uncomfortable. I'll have to try the trimming. Thanks for posting this.

Honestwitness
October 15th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Caladonia Sun, since mine only grow about 2 inches long and never any longer, I felt I didn't have much to lose by taking a chance and trimming. As they grow back out, I might let them stay about half an inch long, as long as they behave and don't look ugly above my collar. Since my hair is pretty light, and so is my skin, there is not a really obvious contrast that shows from a distance.

Also, by using the hair thinning scissors, I didn't get a hard line. In fact, I use hair thinning scissors to trim my bangs, because I look much better with a feathery, wispy hemline on my bangs than a hard, blunt hemline.

clichepithet
October 15th, 2010, 03:23 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6140&pictureid=80143

I like mine. Though I don't work outside the home and therefore do not care if someone finds my appearance to be unprofessional in any way.

Sometimes they show more than this. Sometimes less. This is about average.

Carolyn
October 15th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I just want to say I love to see neck wispies. Especially the curly/wurly ones. I think they look so pretty with an updo.

Honestwitness
October 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Clichepithet, what a gorgeous updo! ON YOU, those neck hairs look like fairy wings. On me, being a 60-year-old with sags, bags, wrinkles, and hairy things, they would me feel less than pretty. In fact mine do. But you have a lovely, young neck and your hair is gorgeous!

Honestwitness
October 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Carolyn, I agree the curly, wurly neck hairs are just right for most people. I wish I could be one of them. If I could quit my job and wear more casual clothing, I would just leave mine alone. They can look nice with a lower neckline without a collar.

I like collars and turtle-neck tops, for my job and to keep warm in winter. My neck wings don't do well with those, because they get rubbed back and forth all day as I move. Any curl they had to start the day is gone within the first hour. What I'm left with are straight and straggly bits that stand out sideways over the top of my collar.

Carolyn
October 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I know you've already taken care of the problem but I have had good luck with a low bun. I smooth the neck hairs upwards and to the center. I use some aloe vera gel for hold. Then I use 2 crossed bobby pins anchored under the bun to keep the hair up. A shot of hairspray works too. HTH someone.

julliams
October 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I don't have them at my neck but I do have them at the sides of my head over my ears which I think is worse because you can see them from the front!!

Jezerellica
October 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I don't have them at my neck but I do have them at the sides of my head over my ears which I think is worse because you can see them from the front!!
Yes!!! My Ex used to make fun of my "sideburns" all the time. I still am not sure how far to take them!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ But your neck wings trimmed up look wonderful. Neat and tidy! And if it makes you feel good at work, that is all that matters! Lovely silver color to your hair, too!! ;)

clichepithet
October 15th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Clichepithet, what a gorgeous updo! ON YOU, those neck hairs look like fairy wings. On me, being a 60-year-old with sags, bags, wrinkles, and hairy things, they would me feel less than pretty. In fact mine do. But you have a lovely, young neck and your hair is gorgeous!

You flatter, thank you! Should be careful, lest my head get too large... but then maybe I could have more hair... ;)

Though you have a point; if they do not make you feel pretty, or find them flattering, you should do your best to eradicate them. To that, I had to look very, very closely in your last picture to find anything that might be considered stubble. You did well. And I really dig the purple scrunchie up there, with your color.

Hair horns! At least most of you have two so you're symmetrical! I've only one, and it's huge. Sometimes the little almost-one on the right tries to stand up and say hello, but the one on the left is usually up and on the offensive. It's juuuust off being long enough to tuck behind my ear...

/hijack

sarahramen
October 15th, 2010, 08:25 PM
this has nothing to do with neck wings (i have them too, don't know how to get rid of them) but squeals and points i have those hair ties! the pack i got had turquoise and black also, they are nice and gentle, and pretty too... ok done being random :) your hair is so pretty