PDA

View Full Version : good hairdresser in the Atlanta area?

n3m3sis42
May 27th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Does anyone who lives in or near Atlanta, GA have a hairdresser recommendation for me?

I'm not quite ready to trim yet, but when I get ready, I am looking for someone who can turn my "natural" hemline into a nice U-shaped one and who will not be too eager to take off extra length. I like the person I've been going to, but I'm not sure she's have any clue what I meant if I asked for a U-shaped trim.

My hair is more or less all one length, except for natural variations due to breakage and/or new growth. I don't have any layers or bangs, and it's not horribly split, although I do have noticeable thinning at the ends.

I'd just as soon not pay an arm and a leg, but if that's what's necessary, I'll pay more at least once to get the results I want.

Any suggestions?

Les
May 27th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I go to Three 13 in Marietta. They are definitely not on the less-expensive side, but they do great work and have always been respectful of my wishes. They have a lot of wonderful people who are skilled at doing just about anything you might want to do to your hair - from the most gentle treatment to some the the farthest-out most crazy things you can imagine.

http://www.three-13.com/

Avrilon
May 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
If you'd like a long hair stylist (George Michael trained), try **********. He's independent and is now working at a salon not too far from Lenox Square. Can't remember the name of it, but his number is **********.

Another person I have used for many years is John Whitlock. He always did exactly what I asked and never cut off more than I wanted. He did a great U-shape for me about three years ago. I recommend him highly too. He is located in Decatur. Can't remember the name of the salon, but the number is 404-872-4221.

Hope that helps.

:)

Avrilon

n3m3sis42
May 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I go to Three 13 in Marietta. They are definitely not on the less-expensive side, but they do great work and have always been respectful of my wishes. They have a lot of wonderful people who are skilled at doing just about anything you might want to do to your hair - from the most gentle treatment to some the the farthest-out most crazy things you can imagine.

http://www.three-13.com/

Thank you for the recommendation! Three 13 looks pretty interesting. Even if I don't go there for my trim, I will keep them in mind if I ever end up wanting to do something "crazy" to my hair. :)

If you'd like a long hair stylist (George Michael trained), try ********** He's independent and is now working at a salon not too far from Lenox Square. Can't remember the name of it, but his number is **********.

Another person I have used for many years is John Whitlock. He always did exactly what I asked and never cut off more than I wanted. He did a great U-shape for me about three years ago. I recommend him highly too. He is located in Decatur. Can't remember the name of the salon, but the number is 404-872-4221.

Hope that helps.

:)

Avrilon

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I'll let you know how it works out if I end up going to either of these people.

Rustella
May 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Definately Amanda at Portfolio Salon. She's cleaning up a mess left by Bob Steele Salon. She is a perfectionist, knows her stuff, does NOT take too much off, and is growing her hair long again. I really can't recommend her enough. No one else is coming near my hair with scissors.

http://www.portfolio-salon.com/index.htm

Rustella
May 27th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I go to Three 13 in Marietta. They are definitely not on the less-expensive side <snip>

Cough cough cough cough

:deal:

:rollin:

Can we say understatement? Just teasin' ya. They do have a great reputation, and were on my list for consideration, but they were just to high for even my picky self.

n3m3sis42
May 28th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Definately Amanda at Portfolio Salon. She's cleaning up a mess left by Bob Steele Salon. She is a perfectionist, knows her stuff, does NOT take too much off, and is growing her hair long again. I really can't recommend her enough. No one else is coming near my hair with scissors.

http://www.portfolio-salon.com/index.htm

OMG! I read your thread about the mess that Jessie at the Bob Steele salon left. The entire time, I never noticed that you were from Georgia!

Thank you for the recommendation. :)

Rustella
May 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM
OMG! I read your thread about the mess that Jessie at the Bob Steele salon left. The entire time, I never noticed that you were from Georgia!

Thank you for the recommendation. :)

You're welcome! Yes, definately avoid Bob Steele Salon despite their good reputation. They cut my hair off. As of yet they haven't called me.

I'm sure Amanda will be thrilled to know that I've made her internet-famous. LOL!

n3m3sis42
July 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM

I just wanted to let you know that I made an appointment today to have John trim my hair. The salon's name is Lee Cobb Hair Design, in case you ever need to know that. My appointment is for a couple weeks from now. I'm excited because I have some sad, thin ends that really need to go.

I'm trying to figure out if I will look like a freak if I show up with freshly washed hair and ask not to have it washed there. I haven't used SLS or -cones since March 2007 and I am scared of what a hairdresser might put in my hair. The cheapo place I've gone for a trim a couple times doesn't care, but I am wondering what you think.

Either way, I will tell you how it works out for me when I have my trim. I'll just be happy to get rid of these ratty ends! Thanks so much for the recommendation! :)