PDA

View Full Version : I need hairstyle ideas for a candle dance

neenerbabe
May 27th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Hey everyone, I am in need of your help. This week I am going to be performing at a bellydance fundraiser gala, and the local dancers here are going to be doing a candle dance in honor of loved ones who are fighting or have passed from cancer. I'm very excited about it but nervous about the whole candle deal, I don't want to wear my hair long like I usually do for obvious reasons. However I'd like some sort of 'exotic' looking updo, more interesting than just a bun. Something luxurious looking. Yet high up, away from the flames, lol! Any ideas? You guys are all so creative, I know you'll have good ideas! :)

SHELIAANN1969
May 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM
The only thing I can do is the "quick 10 second bun"

But when I saw the title, I was like, oh my! My only idea is to KEEP AWAY FROM THE FLAMES!

It sounds like fun, just be "hair-ful" (that was a pun on careful, haha)

Dark Rosaleen
May 27th, 2008, 09:03 AM
What if you did multiple small braids and somehow twisted them into an updo, perhaps leaving a few hanging down in the back that won't be near the flames?

I'm thinking of a style I saw in The Taming of the Shrew (Elizabeth Taylor) that her character wore for a wedding scene. I believe that involved braids and an intricate updo, but I'm unable to find a good picture of it.

ilovelonghair
May 27th, 2008, 09:10 AM
What type of candles will you use? A candle tray with tealights is more safe then a shemadan. Most dancers wrap their hair up when using candles. If you use a candle tray you won't have much chance of candle wax dripping on your hair, so you could have your hair down, but still you have to be very careful, in case somehow your hair flicks up and get cought in the candles. What about a braid adorned with something? That could look nice.

maskedrose
May 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
What about doing a grecian style updo with a scarf or something?

morgwn
May 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I was going to say perhaps a double french braid on each side of the head coming together into one braid to then be wrapped into a bun in the back. You could even weave a ribbon into each side with your hair. That would certainly keep your hair from wisping all over to catch in the flames. However, I just realised that I don't know your hair's length and I don't know what do's you can have. If it's too short for that, you could always do an elegant french twist updo. Those are so classic and look very elegant and can look exotic with the appropriate clothing.

Amara
May 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Last time I did a fire performance I curled my hair and put it up in a messy but very secure bun with lots of pins in the back. Then I took one ringlet on the side of my face and curled it very tightly so it didn't even hang down past my chin. I pinned it in place so it hung down right next to my face and put a big flower over my ear on the same side.

Saranne772
May 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
What about a rose bun with I think its called elaboration?

embee
May 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
There are feathers and flowers and beads you can wear in/on your hair. You already know to keep your hair tightly controlled and away from any flame! I'd say a bun with decoration. When the candles are out the hair can come down! :)

Nevermore
May 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples.htm I'd say pretty much anything from here that's elaborate would be great, since it's all UP, but it's got accent braids and flowers and everything.

neenerbabe
May 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM
But when I saw the title, I was like, oh my! My only idea is to KEEP AWAY FROM THE FLAMES!

It sounds like fun, just be "hair-ful" (that was a pun on careful, haha)

I will! LOL. It freaks me out to no end, it would certainly be a show-stopper if I went up in flames. They're even going to have a dude offstage with a fire extinguisher. That somehow makes me feel better....and worse!

I'm thinking of a style I saw in The Taming of the Shrew (Elizabeth Taylor) that her character wore for a wedding scene. I believe that involved braids and an intricate updo, but I'm unable to find a good picture of it.

Am so putting that on Netflix......

http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples.htm I'd say pretty much anything from here that's elaborate would be great, since it's all UP, but it's got accent braids and flowers and everything.

Those are gorgeous, thanks for the link!

We're dancing with a votive in each hand, so at least it's not on my head and I can do a cool updo. Thanks everyone for the help, my brain is ticking away and I feel better about the whole deal.:)

Riot Crrl
May 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I was coming in to suggest the multiple braids put up, but people beat me.

I don't know your length. If it's knee you'll probably have to fold them several times :)

neenerbabe
May 28th, 2008, 06:07 AM
My hair is between bsl and waist, so not too much to worry about yet.

Nevermore
May 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Very welcome :) Show us what you come up with!