PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair experience natural extreme hair colour changes?

Saranne772
May 27th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I have noticed recently that my hair naturally changes in extreme naturally! (In colour). I have been taking photos regularly and looking through them recently I just realised how different my colour can be! My signature shows the changes in photos recently. The blonde colour is rare but does happen occasionally. Its scary realy, I guess that is why some people insist that I am blonde!

ETA: these changes are over the last 3 months!

flapjack
May 27th, 2008, 04:22 AM
My hair is ridiculous. I have found hairs of every shade in it... dark red, black, brown, light brown, yellowy blonde, white blonde, copper, you name it and it's natural... I can find a hair on my head that has the color! I have many photos outside, inside, bright light, dim light, etc. during events and just to keep track of growth... where my hair looks dark brown/black in some, white blonde in others, fire red in others, etc. Over time, it is changing in color and texture. Most of my childhood I had fine, white blonde hair. By 20 years old, it was a multi-colored blob, but mostly leaning to red/brown. Over time it's getting darker, more red and the fine texture has been replaced by super straight, coarse, thick hairs and medium hairs. I have found hairs where the top ten inches is black and coarse and the bottom 12 or so inches are fine and white. Highly amused and entertained!

Long story short... I empathize with you and I've completely given up trying to understand my hair.

morgwn
May 27th, 2008, 04:27 AM
My hair changes colour drastically depending on sunshine amounts. I have some hairs that are white blonde right now and some that are nearly dark brown on the underside of my hair (which doesn't really see the sun). Further, after this winter I ran into a friend who said he didn't recongise me because I was brunette (we had nearly a year straight of rain until this April/May) and now I've been in the sunshine with hiking/climbing so much that my hair's gone back to very blonde in some areas. It's totally natural (IMO) for our hair to change colours, particularly with sunshine. I was strawberry blonde at one point in time and white blonde when I was very little. It happens. :)

florenonite
May 27th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I've got hairs ranging from very pale blonde to dark brown, so depending on the light and the cleanliness of my hair it can either be blonde or brown.

hrimfaxi
May 27th, 2008, 06:29 AM
My hair is indeed chameleon hair too. :) It never looks black or light blonde, but it looks everywhere in between, and occasionally even auburn-ish.

That, and my ends are (mysteriously) a great deal lighter and redder than my roots...

cuddledumplin
May 27th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Mine goes from chestnut brown to nearly black, but I've always had a few blonde hairs on my temples that attract attention.

spidermom
May 27th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Chameleon blonde that ranges in pictures from greenish to milk chocolate to red to nearly white-blonde, depending on the light and number of days since washing. The latest sig pic is probably the most accurate representation.

lora410
May 27th, 2008, 07:20 AM
My hair used to be a deep brunette when I was younger. Now it is more of a light brown with natural blonde highlights and red tone in the sun.

Raederle
May 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Here I was thinking you meant color change along a single strand. Many of my strands are colored like porcupine quills, randomly repeating dark and light bands.

But, certainly, even before so much of the pigment fled my hairs, my natural color, brown, was an interesting combination of many colors. I'm thinking that only at extreme ends of the color spectrum does one find hair that's uniformly colored.

Pegasus Marsters
May 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Don't forget that in the summer months peoples hair often changes colour. When I was a little girl I'd be blonde all summer and brunette all winter... sadly that stopped and I'm just brunette all year round now (Unless I go crazy with dyes!)

Katurday
May 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
My hair color change is age oriented.
Youngin' - Blonde.
Older youngin' - Light brown
Entering those teen years - Medium brown
Teen years - Dark brown

Evidence such as my sister's and my father's hair points to the suggestion that by 20, I shall have jet black hair.

Islandgrrl
May 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I think I've had the natural darkening of color over the years, but I'm not sure that's what you're talking about.

Depending on how recently my hair has been washed, and the lighting and what I've used in it (oil, no oil, leave in or not, etc), my hair can look very different in color. Today, with very clean hair and no leave in or oil, my hair looks very light & kind of golden coppery red (very close to my avatar pic). When it's not so clean or has a substantial amount of oil incorporated, it looks more auburn in the same light (more like my profile pic). It also has natural light streaks from the sunshine. The canopy is naturally lighter than the underneath, although I have one really light streak (not grey) on the underside that you can see when my hair is in the right updo. I have a great deal of color variation strand to strand, ranging from super blonde to almost black, with the majority of my hairs being one red color or another.

eadwine
May 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Yep, I call my hair barometer hair. The darker the worse, the more copper the better I overall feel :lol:

Weird hair, but I love it!

julya
May 27th, 2008, 12:27 PM
My hair is dark blonde when it's freshly washed, and gets browner looking as it gets more dirty. In photos it usually looks pretty blonde though.

florenonite
May 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
My hair color change is age oriented.
Youngin' - Blonde.
Older youngin' - Light brown
Entering those teen years - Medium brown
Teen years - Dark brown

Evidence such as my sister's and my father's hair points to the suggestion that by 20, I shall have jet black hair.

I had dark hair at birth, then white-blonde hair which has gradually darkened to dark blonde/light brown over the years.

FrannyG
May 27th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I've always noticed that my haircolour changes dramatically depending on the light. I have many pictures of me when I was in my 20s and still had my natural colour, which was at that time dark blonde, and the colour varies from looking light blonde in some photos to a very dark brown in other photos.

I think that in outdoor photos, the time of year plays a big factor in the colour of your hair in pictures, even in sunlight. When it comes to using flash photography, all bets are off.

I doubt that your actual hair's colour is changing as much as the conditions around the lighting of your hair in photos is.

I really do love your hair, by the way. :flowers:

domonic_uk
May 27th, 2008, 01:04 PM
My hair always seems to go darker when I wash with hard water (limestone).

Unnamed
May 27th, 2008, 02:06 PM
My first thought was changing drastically throughout ones life. On that: Mine's been anything from a lighter ash blonde through near-black on it's own, without dye. It's been pretty stable for about the last 12 years now, though, I think.

But, yep, I also have the colour that seems to change randomly -- like others have said, how blonde or brown my hair depends on the light and how clean my hair is.

I think mine varies from approximately med blonde to medium brown, and usually it's more ashy/silver/charcoally in natural light, but sometimes will look golden and even reddish (or greenish...etc.). It won't appear dark brown/black, and it won't look white/light-blonde.

Dianyla
May 27th, 2008, 08:15 PM
A lot of children experience a lack of pigmentation, and so they have very light towhead blond (almost white/platinum) colored hair. The genes to produce more melanin kick in around puberty and then their hair can darken to brown or even black.

Even if you're not one of those folks, it's very common for hair to darken as you enter adulthood. A lot of this is due to spending more time indoors studying and working and less time time outside playing and getting exposed to hair-lightening UV rays.

flapjack
May 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
^ Yep, same thing happens with eye color. A lot of babies born with light blue eyes don't end up keeping them.

sputnik
May 28th, 2008, 12:34 AM
my hair has done the age darkening thing, from blonde (near white in the sun) to medium brown with a lot of red in it. What confuses me is none of my other hair has really changed (including that hair I didn't even have before puberty when my hair started to darken) and is a mix of light and dark blond. Anyone else have that? People often think I dye my hair even when I don't because my eyebrows are a completely different shade.

As for the multicolor hair, a fried of mine has that (black, red, blonde, brown depending which patch you are looking at)... we call it calico cat hair.

Katurday
May 28th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I had dark hair at birth, then white-blonde hair which has gradually darkened to dark blonde/light brown over the years.
Actually I'm pretty sure I forgot to mention that.
I had like, jet black hair at birth.
I wasn't a bald baby. I actually came out with a really thick pixie.

flapjack
May 28th, 2008, 01:16 AM
A baby with a pixie? That is amazing, hahaha. I had about 3-4 inches of hair that was put in a ponytail right on top of my head for my newborn hospital picture. The nurses called me "Pebbles" supposedly, although, I maintain the argument that I resembled a tiny sumo wrestler much more than Pebbles.

Indigo Girl
May 28th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I've always noticed that my haircolour changes dramatically depending on the light. I have many pictures of me when I was in my 20s and still had my natural colour, which was at that time dark blonde, and the colour varies from looking light blonde in some photos to a very dark brown in other photos.

I often have that variety in photos. It ranges from a lighter blonde to dark blonde to strawberry blonde to light brown to dark brown and pretty much everything in between. I used to get teased for it, but now I think it's neat. :)

My hair gets much darker as it gets dirtier too.

Saranne772
May 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I really do love your hair, by the way. :flowers:

Aww thank you :) I also love yours- the blonde you have is gorgeous and I am not someone who likes blonde normally!

Yeh I also had the change from childhood. I was born with dark brown hair, It grew mousy brown until I was a toddler when I was light blonde with type 2c/3a hair! Then as I got older it darken to a golden brown with blonde streaks. It seems to be getting darker (and curlier again underneath) so maybe I will end up with my mothers hair colour- she was a dark brown black when she was in her 20s. I might get to a darker brown although I doubt Id be brown/black.

I really noticed my auburn tint today :D I am so tempted to henna to enhance it LOL

morgwn
May 29th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I also forgot to mention that I had black hair when I was born; even on my back! Then all the hair on my head fell out and the black hair turned white on my back before it fell out, too. Then it gradually grew back in white blonde in colour. So... it sounds as though many of us have had interesting colour changes with aging. ;)

C_Bookworm
May 29th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I was born with black hair and starting at about 6 months it grew in blond. I looked like a little punk baby for awhile with blond hair and black tips. But i can't say it has done anything like that recently

egg99
May 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
My hair goes lighter in the summer, because it gets a lot of sun to it when I'm out. In the winter, it looks a bit darker and the gingeriness of it seems to show a lot more. I like my hair better in the winter :)

socks
May 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
My hair has changed colors drastically as I've aged. When I was a baby, it was red, and it quickly turned into pale blonde. Right now, my natural color is somewhere between cool dark blonde and light brown. There are a few natural coppery streaks, too, but the fading red and green streaks came from semi-perm dyes.

DecafJane
May 29th, 2008, 04:49 PM
My hair hasn't changed much over the years - it still has strands of different thicknesses and colours, but is generally the same brown overall, with a lot of red in the sun.
However, it lightens really quickly, and if I am out in the sun much, the ends become blonde. This isn't so obvious if it is down or in a braid, but if it is up in a bun or a twist, it really stands out!

atlantaz3
May 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I started out with white hair and earned the nickname granny because the southern girls had never seen anyone my age (8 or 9 probably) with white hair. Around high school it started to get darker more of a caramel blonde - then I started highlights. But it was never all one color - ranging from very light blonde to brown to reddish tones. When I let it grow out naturally it was a dark blonde that I put up with for about three years and finally caved to highlights - but smaller streaks and I hope more natural looking. Of course it sun bleaches out really quick in the summer - and because I have it in a pony tail outside usually the sides are lighter than the crown hair which can make for some odd color streaks.

Katze
May 30th, 2008, 03:22 AM
my hair changes color dramatically depending on what light it's in, when and how it's been washed, and how I'm wearing it.

When it's down and shampoo-washed, my hair can look sunny, honey-gold, a color I'd call blonde, especially in good natural light. My profile pic is a good example.

When it's WO washed (avatar pic), or under artifical or cloudy light (see sig pic) it can look chestnut brown.

I have strands that are dark brown, ash brown, golden blonde, silver, and greyish-ash, nearly translucent.

It's changed with age, too: my hair as a kid was white-blonde, darkening gradually to ash until it turned the color it is now when I was 13 or so. Since I started bleaching it that young, it's hard to tell what color(s) it was in between, and when I started growing it out I was sad with its liver-paste, no-color color. Now that we're getting some warmer weather, though, my hair seems to be soaking up the rays and getting blonder - at least when it's freshly washed.

My BF - considered "blonde" despite his dark eyebrows - has similar hair - everything from black to red to platinum - I think it's just a manifestation of our genetic diversity, and I love looking at all the colors in his beard and hair.

Interestingly, my dark-haired sister and brother don't have this color range as much.

Sapphire'sWings
May 30th, 2008, 09:27 AM
My hair color changes depending on the light. It usually looks black, but in sunlight and other bright lights, it can even look reddish!

Saranne772
May 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Its wonderful to think of the diversity! Hair colour is not boring :D

lyneya
May 30th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Mine has always been dark-ish brown with the occasional redish tint (and more than a few white strands, but we won't talk about them). I've noticed lately that since the photo in my sig (last summer) it's gotten a lot darker. And that's not just a change in hair dye! The roots are darker too and it seems to hide the silver bits. I might actually ride out the urge to dye this summer! I think it's the coconut oil. My hair is closer to the color it is wet yet doesn't look or feel greasy, so darker may be it's way of being happy! :)

Morag
May 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Mine doesn't change much, but I have a friend whose hair goes back and forth between very blonde, strawberry blonde, and light red. It cycles over a varying period of months. Apparently it has always been changeable and no one knows why. Like your hair, in snapshots taken over time there is a surprising amount of variation.