PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wear a scarf on a regular basis

4ourgrls
October 14th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I found a really pretty scarf today and when I got home, I tie it around my head and essentially made a bun with it. I love how it looks and it's comfy. So far it hasn't slipped or anything, I am going to wear it out tomorrow to see how it does, but I was wondering if anyone here wears their hair in a scarf like this.
If so, how do you tie it? What do you do to keep it from falling/slipping?

Also, How did people react to you when you started wearing it out and about? Thanks! :)

arwenevenstar37
October 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I love to wear scarfs over my hair! especially for those days when it just does not want to cooperate. I usually make a bun and then just fold the scarf into a triangle and tie it around my whole hair by the hairline. then I just tuck the little triangle that ends up on your nape away and the two little tails of the scarf around the bun and tie them. I also use some bobby pins to secure it to the front and back and it stays up the whole day. It is weird at first because people are not used to seeing others wearing a scarf like this so I get mixed remarks...some people think it looks adorable adn cute while others just think it is strange :) I love the scarfs though so just ignore the "it's weird" comments :) Hope it works for you too and let me know how it goes :)

sweetestday
October 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I think people are used to my looks changing all the time. I'll be in jeans and a braid one day, and a long skirt and newsboy hat the next. I like wearing scarves and hats. I don't ever have to worry about a bad hair day.

ravenreed
October 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I wear a scarf from time to time. I usually get positive comments. I have a hard time getting scarves to stay so I don't wear them too often.

venusje
October 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I wear scarfs also.
the comments I got most is: "do you want to become a pirate?":rolleyes:

And the I laugh and say, aarrrr matey :p

mira-chan
October 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I go through phases of wearing scarves, mostly in the winter and the hottest parts of summer. I wear them outside for warmth or sun protection and just don't take them off inside. :D I've had no issues other than the usual comment of "Is everything ok? *looks at scarf*" comment from some coworker when I come in with a scarf on for the first time in a while.

2peasinapod
October 14th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I wear scarfs most of the time. I started when I was growing out a pixie and nothing I did could make it look good. Now, I like how it protects my hair when I go outside!

No one really says anything, and I've even gotten a few compliments on my scarves! :)

luthien_belewen
October 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I wear scarves quite a lot...now kind of from spiritual conviction, partially just because I like the look and that it protects my hair from the elements! They can look very elegant, or very bohemian...my main style is a square scarf folded into a triangle, or into a wide head band, I usually wrap the ends over my bun, but sometimes twist them over the front of my head. Sometimes I will wear a square scarf more like a bandanna without the triangle part. I have been wearing more rectangular scarves lately, they make me look like I have more hair than I really have! There are pics in my album, if you want to see...
Also, I enjoy wrapping a rectangular scarf round my head and neck when it's cold. If you let a bit of your hair or bangs show at the front, you look less like a pirate lol! I've gotten compliments on my scarf, but usually no one says anything. Sometimes people look at me a little funny, but that's just because I look different!

pepperminttea
October 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I wear scarves when I'm decorating or something when covering my hair is preferable, and just sometimes in summer to keep the heat off. :) There's some good tying directions here (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl); I use the 'bun' method most regularly.

The only comment I've gotten was from my mother one morning, aghast upon seeing me, saying "Did you cut all your hair off?!" :lol: She was quite relieved that I hadn't.

Copasetic
October 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I wear one quite often. I tie it so it covers my head and then wraps around my bun, and then I usually leave some hair in the front sticking out.

ETA: Apparently it's called a Low-Bun wrap.

GeoJ
October 14th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I wear bandannas a lot, and scarves on rare occasion. When I wear scarves I use elongated rectangular scarves and may wrap the long ends around my bun, or twist them and wrap them around my head.

ETA: I just looked at pepperminttea's link, and I use "The Bun" and "The Crown". I forgot that was where I originally learned them.
ETA2: I meant "The Dutch Crown", I have yet to try "The Crown".

georgia_peach
October 14th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I wear scarfs most of the time. I started when I was growing out a pixie and nothing I did could make it look good. Now, I like how it protects my hair when I go outside!

No one really says anything, and I've even gotten a few compliments on my scarves! :)

I've been experimenting with scarves (and berets) as I've just cut to pixie. Glad to hear that it worked for you! I will probably wear them more frequently once all my henna has been trimmed off and I'm growing my natural hair long. I don't want to start blow drying and using hairspray and can imagine I will have many "bad hair days"! :D

I found that cotton scarves do not slip around like silkier scarves such as polyester or silk. Hope that helps!

akosei
October 14th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I love wearing scarves. I have difficulty keeping them from slipping so I don't wear them as often as I'd like.

Scandinavian
October 14th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Im also just starting out with wearing scarf's. I have to find some in another material though, the one im using right now is some kind of cotton i think, and i would like some satin or the like.
Have not worn it out in public yet, but have been testing it out at home, and looking of youtube videos on how to fold it.

Igor
October 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I love wearing scarfs! (Scarves?)
In the winter for warmth and protection from wind and in the summer for protection from the sun. I usually tie it in a variation of The Bun that Pepperminttea already linked to. I’m experiencing with different forms for decorations for this and over/under scarf.
I really love Coveryourhair (http://www.coveryourhair.com/) especially for their pre-tied bandannas.
My only bad reaction has been from my in-laws, typical old-people-reaction-to-something-they-find-unusual and some evil stares from Muslim women. I don’t even shrug at these reactions though, their narrow-minded issues are not my problem :shrug:
I put some of my experiments in my blog and my albums. We have a social group for head coverings as well :wink:

Igor
October 14th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Here is a really good blog on Hair covering ( http://thestyleunderground.typepad.com/blog/) with a lot of different styles

phistash
October 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I've been wearing scarves for ages. I love them. The brighter and more colorful the better. Of course, I don't get very many comments on them, because of where I live. You really have to try hard to be the craziest person around, and in my neighborhood there are lots of island women who wear scarves themselves.

One thing I have learned is that silk or polyester scarves will stay on better if you wear a cotton headband underneath, one of those cheap ones that you can get in the drugstore, or a simple one meant for exercise. I have several in various colors, to make sure that they match my scarf. Headbands also help to relieve the pressure of the knot that you tie, distributing it more evenly. This is an issue for me, as in order to get a scarf to stay on all day, I have to tie it very tight.

I love my scarves so much, I think I will take a picture of my collection in the morning and share it here! :gobblecheese:

phistash
October 14th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Here is a really good blog on Hair covering (http://thestyleunderground.typepad.com/blog/) with a lot of different styles

Hey, thanks for the link. I've been contemplating a new way of wrapping, and I needed some ideas.

4ourgrls
October 14th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Great to see so many responses. :) Thanks for those blogs, I am on my way out, ad I got my hair like I wanted it. I actually think with practice, this will become a more often then not style for me. :)

Purdy Bear
October 15th, 2010, 05:11 AM
On the most part my scarf wearing has been a positive one - me being an Alopecian that is. There are some who have thought Im a cancer patient (thats the majority) with some thinking Im a Muslim or even a Budhist Nun. This Im sure wouldnt occur if you have hair though.

I love the satin scarves as they wonderful to wear and easy to tie and stay put. Iv also inherited some from my much loved Grandmother, who never went anywhere without one tied to the outside of her handbag/purse for use in wet/windy days.

julliams
October 15th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Two days ago I wanted something funky in my hair so I folded a satin stretch scarf that I have in half and wore it like a headband. I wore it to work like that today (I'm a flute teacher) and as I was walking across the playground a little boy in kindergarten whom I've never met stopped me and said "is that a bandana?" and seemed really interested in how I had done it. Very cute.

phistash
October 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I've added a pic of some of my scarves to my album, plus one showing how I usually wear them:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5368&pictureid=85795

They are of several fabric types: cotton, silk, polyester and silk. Not pictured are my pashmina scarves, they are at the dry cleaners.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5368&pictureid=85794

I like having the long pieces hanging down over my shoulder. Most of my scarves are very long, a few feet, so that I can have this effect. It feels to me like a braid, and I just really like it.

One way to get a great scarf collection going is to just go to fabric stores and buy a few yards of really amazing fabric. I mean, that's all a head scarf really is, why spend more money than necessary?

Calaelen
October 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I've been wearing scarves every time I leave the house since July. I do it for several reasons, to protect my hair, to mask a bad hair day, or stretch a wash, they feel safe(kind of like a barrier between me and the world, which I experience on a very intense level due to heightened senses).

For me it has no religious connotations.

I've gotten really positive responses from everyone, except Muslim women tend to give me a long stare. I don't wear my scarves Hijab style, but I get the impression some ladies think I am Muslim and just bending rules. I can't read minds of course.

After telling family and friends why I am doing this, and that I will be doing it for at least a year, I've received nothing but good responses. I have several pics in my album, if anyone would care to see how I wear them. I wear several different styles, depending on my dress, and I love how I can incorporate the scarves into my wardrobe to create a whole new look.

sibiryachka
October 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I wear a bandana or similar scarf very regularly, probably at least twice a week, for a variety of reasons. Since I usually wear my hair in one or two braids, especially on scarf days, the look I end up with is pretty purely hippie, which is not that uncommon around these parts, and suits me fine. At first I worried that people would misinterpret my reasons, but I'm over it now.
I also wear long rectangular neck scarves almost daily in cold weather, as I can't stand drafts on my neck - brrrr!

Scandinavian
October 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Today i wore a scarf in public for the first time. Went very well, did not get to many weird looks... And i bought a few more scarves.

hanne jensen
October 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I wear scarves a lot to protect my hair. My hair is in a lot better condition for it.

Unfortunately, I've gotten a lot of very derogatory remarks. Some of them so ugly that I wouldn't repeat them here.

I still wear my scarves as nobody will give me new hair!

purple_figtree
October 15th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Wearing a headband under your scarf is a good way to keep it from slipping. Buying lovely fabric and hemming it to make scarves is also a good idea, I used to do just that.

I'm Muslim, and I know I've been guilty of staring at women wearing scarves in Canada. It's just out of interest, and curiosity, and it's never intentional. I wouldn't criticize anyone else's clothing choices, even if they were Muslim and not wearing very good hijab.

shikara
February 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Well, I am just starting to wear them daily - in fact, I've given myself a "hair in a scarf for a month" challenge!! I love the look - gypsy, bohemian, elegant - whatever you want. No messing with pins, hairties, clips, jaws, braiding. So many fabrics, prints, and ways to express them that really speak to my spirit. I have bangs so I leave some of them out. A funky pair of earrings accents the looks! It's fun, and my hair is so very much thanking me for it!!

Carrie Ingalls
February 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
While not technically scarves, I often wear buffs folded in half as wide headbands, from about the 2-3rd day after a wash until the next wash. I also usually oil at that point, and the buff saves time and the roots don't have to be perfect. Though the idea of wearing some of the other styles I've seen around here intrigues me.

boomtownrat
February 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure if this will fit into what you guys are talking about, but just last night I was admiring the rockabilly scarf stylings of the waitresses at a local restaurant that just reopened with new management and a retro theme. They wore them mostly to keep their hair up and out of their faces, but with panache. It's something that I love on other people, but it's not really my thing.

AnnaJamila
February 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I wear one every day! haha, you should go online and research "Qatari wrap style hijab" that's a really pretty soft style. Though I think it's a bit better suited for winter. Also, if you google "hijab" you can find a ton of cheapie scarves with interesting patterns. If you like square ones google "Turkish hijab". Hope that's useful!

HeatherJenae
February 19th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I bought a Satin night wrap from Sally's Beauty Supply today. I suffer from intense night sweats due to medication I'm on. They mean that I wake up every morning with a wet tangled mess of hair, especially at my nape. I had to do something. It's tearing my hair up, even when I sleep with a high bun. So I bought a real pretty gold satin wrap, it has tails for tying it because I'm horrible at scarf tying. It will be my first night wearing it. Hopefully I wake up dry and tangle free. Wish me luck everybody! :)

*Seraphina*
February 20th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Good luck :)

Annalouise
February 20th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I don't wear a headscarf, although, i would wear one, just because I don't want to be taken for a Muslim woman. (no offense to Muslim women its just that I don't "represent" Islam so why would I want people to think I do represent Islam)? It's just one of those things. Although a headscarf shouldn't be a sign of religion it should just be a fashion statement I think, or a statement of modesty for some, but it is to some extent a political statement now and I stay away from political statements.

However, I will say I noticed in NYC that African women often wear scarves on their heads and they are not Muslim just they like that fasion. They made me want to wear scarves. But here in Arizona people would assume I was a Muslim because no women here wear head scarves except Muslim women and nuns.

shikara
February 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Well, this is day two of my own 'hair in a scarf for a month challenge'! Didn't notice anyone looking at me funny, but I am a little bit nervous about showing up at work with them, at least at first. I feel so in my element wearing them though, that my happiness at wearing them may dilute my nervousness a little. So far I seem to prefer softer cottons and gauzy materials - they don't slip or move about, I like that my scalp can breathe, and my hair is at its best when I remove the scarf and it falls out ;) Bought one today at Value Village, and have my eye on a few at Winners - they have some really nice ones. Today I wore the first style shown on the tznius website.

Sylph
February 22nd, 2011, 08:48 AM
There are a range of different styles here.
http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl

Personally, I don't tend to cover my hair often as my head gets too hot. It is useful, however, if one suddenly realises one is out of flour when making bread mid hair treatment. I've ended up at the supermarket with hair in full on hennaing before!

Cupofmilk
February 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
I have ordered a couple of scarfs and a hijab bonnet tube for my hair. I am hoping it might just fit under my cycle helmet.