PDA

View Full Version : oil and hair falling out

rambut panjang
October 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Why do hair stylists always say that oil congests your follicles and makes your hair fall out? Is there any truth to this?

I usually use coconut oil, which makes my curly hair soft. But recently I had a shirodhara treatment (an ayurvedic treatment where they drip oil across your forehead). After the treatment I left the oil in my hair for several hours as instructed, but afterwards I had so much hair loss. I know that oil makes the hair slippery and so some people say that it just seems like more hair is falling out. But this was really extreme. Handfuls of hair continued to fall out for a whole week and now my hair is really noticeably (to me) thinner and shorter. :(

Anyway, this experience is making me rethink the use of oil on my hair. I definitely wouldn't try a shirodhara treatment again, but should I also give up on coconut oil?

lora410
October 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM
If there were truth to this I would be bald. I use scalp oil constantly and oil on my length and still have as much hair if not more then before. It could be that you were allergic to that type of oil. I would stick with what worked for you in the past.

aenflex
October 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I would stick with the oils that you were using without problems. I would perhaps avoid the treatment again, in case you were allergic to something in it or something like that. I have been using oils in my hair for years, as have many members here, and personally I have never experienced any hair fall other than the normal hundred or so hairs per day.

Perhaps it was the heaviness of the oil used in the treatment that caused your telogen hairs to drop from the excessive weight?

GeoJ
October 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I have no problems from coconut oil. I regularly massage oils into my scalp (and then scritch) to get my scalp clean (if I don't I get dandruff). My Mom did that to my scalp when I was a kid also, and I never had problems from it. (My Mom used mineral oil on my scalp, now I use coconut oil, or mixes of coconut oil and herbs, or Kalonji oil).

I have experienced excessive shedding from quitting birth control pills, from stress, and from an allergic reaction to something in a shampoo once.

rambut panjang
October 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for your replies. I do really like using coconut oil too.

So why do you think a lot of hair stylists react with horror at the thought of using oil?

Kathie
October 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
It’s an individual thing. I have seen on some threads here that people can’t use conditioner on their roots because it leads to hair fall, while it’s not oil I think a similar principle could apply.

For me, I don’t use oil on my scalp because it irritates, it actually can hurt a little if its left on for a while. The same thing happens if I leave my hair to long between washes :shrug:

bumblebums
October 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your replies. I do really like using coconut oil too.

So why do you think a lot of hair stylists react with horror at the thought of using oil?

My guess? Advertisements. How often have you heard "oil-free" used in an advert for a body/hair care product? People assume there is some connection between oil and badness as a result.

Moreover, many hair stylists don't know much about traditional hair care. I wouldn't discuss this kind of stuff with a hair stylist, anyway... If you want to, you can point out that coconut, avocado, and jojoba oils are both VERY common ingredients in conditioner. If it were so bad for your scalp, they wouldn't keep putting it in, would they? You can't do it all with petroleum jelly.

pepperminttea
October 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Ouch, I'm sorry you had that experience. I'd go back to what worked for you, too.

On why most hairstylists freak out about oil? I'd imagine most would assume it was 'dirty' as so many think the scalp's natural oil = dirty.

Dragon
October 15th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I also agree that you should go back to what worked well for you befor:)

nemileo
October 15th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Maybe you should avoid oil in the scalp? My scalp does not like oil (too bad, cause a good scalp massage feels so good...) and it itches after, so I only use oil in the length. But coconut oil has never caused shredding for me! Maybe the oposite, cause my hair feels a lot thicker and healthier after I stated using it.

Venefica
October 15th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I guess it would be like with most things, rather individual. Some pepole have very oily scalps and then off course I would not be that good to add more, for others they need that extra oil for the hair and scalp not to get to dry. What beauty tips works for one person do not necessarily work for the next.

I very seldom use oil in my scalp, usually if I do it is for massages, I do not think my scalp need allot of oil, others might just eat it up. I think it is important to figure out what works for you, if your scalp and hair have a negative reaction to oil, then do not use it, for others it can be essential for the scalp to be healthy.