PDA

View Full Version : Hair decisions: would love some opinions

WinterInBloom
October 14th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I'm trying to make some decisions about what to do with my hair, now and in the long term. Right now my hair is about a half inch below bra strap and it's layered throughout. I have some side swept bangs, and a few months ago I also had more graduated face framing pieces of hair, but now they are all grown out to an inch below my chin and longer. My hair is very thick so I had it layered in the first place to take out bulk, and the ends were also thinned/razored. The guy who cut my hair did a better job than anyone has ever done before, so I didn't hate the layering once it started growing out a little like I usually do.

I have a few problems though. I want to be able to braid my hair, and right now a braid falls apart on me within an hour because of the layers. I've also noticed that my thinned ends are weird now. They're not splitting or anything, but they seem.... crunchier... (I guess) than the ends of the more blunt underneath layer that wasn't thinned. Some of the hairs even end in a little tiny J hook that is almost impossible to get out, even if I try to flat iron them.

I want to be able to braid my hair, so I've been considering not having the layers re-cut the next time I go in for a trim, and beginning the process of growing out my layers as I grow my hair longer. I want to get to waste length at least by the way.:) The only potential problem I see with growing out layers is that I have such thick hair, and it's kind of wavy too. I used to have tailbone length un-layered hair up until my freshman year of high school and I remember it seeming frizzy and looking like some big ole' fur rug spread over my shoulders.:p

So my dilemma is this: Do I keep the layers even though there's a lot I don't like about them? Or do I grow them out for a more blunt cut and hope that since my hair is much smoother and healthier than it used to be, that it won't look like a bear skin rug?

One thing I really do like is fringe and layering on the sides/front of the hair that frame the face like in these pictures:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9Zf_P9g6cuo/SJCYZF42tDI/AAAAAAAAArs/3BPrsVIyGfQ/s400/updo-hairstyles-2.jpg
http://www.divahairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Eva-Mendes-with-Updo.jpg

And especially something like this because of how cute the face framing pieces look when the long hair is pulled back in a pony tail or bun:
http://asian-hair-styles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/asian-hairstyle1.jpg

What I don't like about these hair cuts is the inevitable layered-ness in the back of the hair. Has anyone else had their hair cut to look something like these pictures in the front but left the back of the hair un-layered?

Sorry for the long, probably incoherent, ramble. If you understood any of this I'd love some feedback, ideas, experiences, especially if you have very thick wavy hair like mine.:o:)

FrannyG
October 14th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Well, your hair is quite thick, so I understand why you thought that layers were a good idea. I also understand the frustration of layers, especially when you're growing your hair longer and want to try various hairstyles.

The problem here, is that while the hairdresser did a good job on your hair visually, there was razor cutting going on, which can lead to split ends, or those "j's" to which you're referring.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd slowly grow out the layers.

As for your ends, I would get about 1/2 inch trimmed off--no more--and I would then make a plan to have regular small trims. Just trim off 1/2 inch every few months and that way your hair will still grow, but you can gradually get rid of the dry ends, and grow out the layers to a point that they're no longer a hindrance for styling.

Clearly, this is a long-term thing. It can't be done overnight, unless you're willing to lose a lot of length in one go.

As far as the face-framing layers are concerned, there are a lot of LHCers who have face-framing layers, but the rest of their hair is pretty much all one length. If you like your face-framing layers, I'd keep them, no matter what you decide to do with the rest of your length.

I hope you can figure out a good plan that works for you. :blossom:

aenflex
October 14th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I would try growing them out. Unless you think it won't look good, but I doubt that. You are a very pretty girl so I think you shall be safe there :) It's a pain growing out layers, I know. Specially lots of them. But what's the harm? You change your mind, you put em back :)

Wanderer09
October 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Face-framing layers and one-length hair in the back aren't mutually exclusive. I'm growing out my layers (sooo close), but I cut face-framing bits myself because I just love how they look with a pulled-back style.

xoxophelia
October 14th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I might have to see it on you.. but what you could do is start your layers in the back lower down your hair and then tie off the braid slightly higher (above the layers). Then you can have the best of both worlds. Messy braids are "in" anyways :)

turtlelover
October 14th, 2010, 09:30 AM
How about some longer layers, but w/out the razor cutting? My hair can handle layers, but razor cut or "choppy" layers look terrible because of the natural wave/curl. You can cut layers w/out razoring or "thinning" the hair, which is probably what makes the ends feel less healthy.

ravenreed
October 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I have layers, in part to reduce bulk. My hair gets heavy! The layers do make for a fuzzy braid, however. As the hair gets longer, the layers are less annoying. My braids now just usually have really long tassels.

I kept layers because I like the way my hair looks when it is down. If you plan to wear your hair up or in a braid all the time, you might want to ditch the layers. Otherwise, you might want to keep them.

WinterInBloom
October 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Thank everyone for your opinions!:) I think I will try growing out my layers. The ends of my hair reach to just below BSL and the shortest layer is just at shoulder length, so pretty much most of the length is layers right now, which is a lot. I'll see how it looks with fewer layers, and if that's still driving me nuts I'll go all the way. As aenflex said, it's not like I can't put them back later if I want them again.

No more razoring, check.:p In about two weeks to a month I can go get it trimmed. I could do it sooner if was willing to go to a supercuts because it's cheaper than the salon I went to a few months ago, but I really like the guy who last cut my hair. He didn't rip my hair out when combing it, he was gentle when cutting the actual layers, and when he said he would only trim one inch off my length he did just that. I could've whipped out a tape measure and it would have been spot on. I'll talk to him about what my goals are and how fix the ends, and I know he'll be helpful. That's certainly worth the extra money, right?:)

Wanderer09- I'm glad to hear that other people sport face framing layers with one length hair in the back. I almost never see anyone with long hair so I've never actually seen that combination. If I can pull it off I'd much prefer it to what I've got going on now.

practikalmagik
October 14th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I have face framing layers, which are a looong sideswept fringe basically and the rest of my hair is (can-i-call-this)waist length. I also have very thick wavy hair which is all one length after growing out layers put in a few years ago.

Personally I love the look you're describing and I'm sporting. I love how it gives me some definition when my hair is up as I'm really not suited to an all slicked back look. It also gives my hair some interest when it's down too rather then being all one length at the front.

Grow it all to one length down the back and keep some small face framing bits, it looks good :). Even with v thick wavy hair.

Also my final 2 cents, thick hair doesn't *need* to be layered, it looks gorgeous when it's one long length. Especially in a braid!

jeanniet
October 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I have thick hair, and I've had layers before when my hair was shorter (shoulder to APL), but I won't get them again unless they're very subtle (barely above the length) and when my hair is longer. For me, layers reduce bulk but they also reduce manageability. So I'm just learning to live with the bulk and it's turning out OK--but I don't ever go out in the wind with my hair down! :p

WinterInBloom
October 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM
You hair looks great in your avatar picture practikalmagic! I can see it's hanging nicely down your back and not doing that fuzzy bear skin rug thing my hair did when I was younger. You hair is even a little wavier than mine too, so I'm thinking more and more that my hair will look just fine without back layers now that it's smoother and healthier.

I can hardly wait to get my face framing layers cut again. :)

Sheltie_Momma
October 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I kept my layers until I got to waist, because I wasn't willing to part with the length, since then I have it cut bluntly and just barely trim the ends to get off the splits, so each time the layers are less and less. I have layers on just the bottom few inches now and the process hasn't been too painful. I have side bangs and I've had the face framing bits, I think these are nice and add a bit of style.

I will say my coarse wavy hair is much better now that I know how to treat it and I don't feel overwhelmed by it like I used to.

Note - my avatar picture is out of date but shows how much layering I used to have.

Emerald88
October 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I love the way layers look on hair when it's worn down, but from personal experience, they are a nightmare to braid or bun. Braiding is the worst because they stick out everywhere. Every time I even think about layers, I immediately recall how much I hated styling them. I wear my hair up 99% of the time so they just don't work for me. If you only braid once a week & the rest of the time your hair is down, then you might prefer keeping the layers.

WinterInBloom
October 15th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I love the way layers look on hair when it's worn down, but from personal experience, they are a nightmare to braid or bun. Braiding is the worst because they stick out everywhere. Every time I even think about layers, I immediately recall how much I hated styling them. I wear my hair up 99% of the time so they just don't work for me. If you only braid once a week & the rest of the time your hair is down, then you might prefer keeping the layers.

This would describe how I feel about, and deal with, my layers. My waves only work well with the layers right after my hair is washed and I can twist sections of my hair to enhance them. After that, once I've slept on my hair about 1/2 of the layered ends will flip out and the other half under and it just looks silly. To fix it I have to use a flat iron, and that means first straightening the whole length of a piece of hair then re-curling or the end will just end up flipped the wrong way again. I don't wash my hair everyday and I definitely don't want to use the iron everyday, so I just throw my hair up in a bun. Haha, layers just sound like a bad idea on my hair now and not only because of the braid issue.:p:)

cindy58
October 15th, 2010, 05:50 AM
No more razoring, check.:p In about two weeks to a month I can go get it trimmed. I could do it sooner if was willing to go to a supercuts because it's cheaper than the salon I went to a few months ago, but I really like the guy who last cut my hair. He didn't rip my hair out when combing it, he was gentle when cutting the actual layers, and when he said he would only trim one inch off my length he did just that. I could've whipped out a tape measure and it would have been spot on. I'll talk to him about what my goals are and how fix the ends, and I know he'll be helpful. That's certainly worth the extra money, right?:)

I agree it's worth some extra money to go to the person you feel will treat you and your hair the way you want them to!

UltraBella
October 15th, 2010, 08:23 AM
As much as I would love to have a giant perfect braid falling down my back, my super thick hair needs to be layered. There is no way I could deal with it all one length and I absolutely love the way layers look, they give my heavy hair bounce and movement and make it much more manageable. But, when I braid it is frustrating...... So I totally know what you mean.
I like razor cuts, as long as they are done with a brand new razor. It's nearly impossible for me to get perfectly blended layers without a razor. But I always make my stylist put a new razor in right in front of me so I know there is no chance she forgot and is using a dull one. I have never had any damage from a razor cut this way.
You can do fringe and face framing layers without all-over layers, it's just a matter of preference. And face framing layers are fairly easy to grow out if you decide they are not for you because it's not a whole head full. Good luck with it !

practikalmagik
October 15th, 2010, 03:03 PM
As much as I would love to have a giant perfect braid falling down my back, my super thick hair needs to be layered. There is no way I could deal with it all one length and I absolutely love the way layers look, they give my heavy hair bounce and movement and make it much more manageable.

I think the real dealbreaker for unlayered thick hair is "can you manage it?". A YMMV situation really.

Mine can be a bit troublesome sometimes such as snapping hairsticks or bending pins beyond all hope of repair which never really happened when layered. Plus the drying time can be insane :justy:

However for me, I find that when my hair is layered, yes it's lighter but I can't put it in updos. For me that makes it is less manageable then when it's one giant braid or headeating bun. I also find that when my hair is layered it's actually more poofy and looks thicker then when it's all one length. When it's one length, the canopy weighs down on the rest making it lie down more.

The main thing is that a person picks what option suits their needs best. :)

practikalmagik
October 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM
You hair looks great in your avatar picture practikalmagic! I can see it's hanging nicely down your back and not doing that fuzzy bear skin rug thing my hair did when I was younger. You hair is even a little wavier than mine too, so I'm thinking more and more that my hair will look just fine without back layers now that it's smoother and healthier.

I can hardly wait to get my face framing layers cut again. :)

Ooooh thank you WinterInBloom :blush: I think my hair had been in two french braids that day which makes it look a bit more wavy than normal, I'm about a 2a normally.

Make sure you post some pictures up too when you get your layers cut in! I'm sure they'll really suit you :)

BrightEyes7
October 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Well I personally like to have layers in the front. I feel all long, one length doesn't look right on me. But I have found life so much easier after growing out the layers in the back. It'll help with the braid issue.

Annalouise
October 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Your face framing pieces are pretty.

Well I personally like to have layers in the front. I feel all long, one length doesn't look right on me. But I have found life so much easier after growing out the layers in the back. It'll help with the braid issue.

I grew out my layers so that I could braid my hair and have it one length. Now my husband tells me I look horrible with a braid and my family tells me that I really NEED layers or bangs.

:shrug:

WinterInBloom
October 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Thank you everyone, I've loved hearing all your experiences with layer and no layers on thick hair, it's been very helpful. I'll be sure to post some before and after pictures when I get my face framing layers re-cut and the rest of it cleaned up a little. :)