PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Shampoo bars!

Um Enis
October 14th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I just want to put this question out there for all of the other shampoo bar fans to help me with! I started using a great quality shampoo bar in my after henna wash (FYI I use henna on the roots only and deep condition the length overnight) and loved the clean, clean soft, soft results so much that I decided to switch to shampoo bars (I deep condition, wash, and then light condition) for my regular (1 or 2X weekly shampoos). But they're just not the same as after the henna. My scalp seems almost oilier than before I shampoo and there feels like built up grease about 2 days later. I want this to work so bad--I want the same results I have after my henna--what am I doing wrong here?

WinterInBloom
October 14th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I only tried shampoo bars for a while before giving up, but I'm gonna guess you might be having the same problem I was. If your water is hard at all then it could be causing the shampoo bars to leave build up in your hair. If your water isn't really hard then an ACV rinse after shampooing might do the trick to make your hair feel better. If you have really hard water like where I live you may have to either not use shampoo bars are get a water filter or softener for your shower. I wanted to love shampoo bars, and I'm sure they're great in the right conditions, but I had to give them up because I couldn't afford a water filter for the shower.

Oh, you can also try lathering really well twice, that helped a lot for some of the ladies I know who use shampoo bars. :)

Barniie
October 14th, 2010, 12:12 AM
you seem to have a case of the waxies. Try a baking soda wash then continue with shampoo bars - they seem to leave residue. Good luck :)

Bene
October 14th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I only use shampoo bars, but no henna, so I don't know how to answer this. I kind of think this is more of a henna question. Maybe the henna people can chime in? The only thing I can think of is that you kind of have to use shampoo bars several times. Like lather, rinse, lather again, and rinse. The bars tend to be gentler than conventional bottle shampoo, so that might be it.

Barniie
October 14th, 2010, 12:13 AM
double post feel free to delete

Um Enis
October 14th, 2010, 01:26 AM
you seem to have a case of the waxies. Try a baking soda wash then continue with shampoo bars - they seem to leave residue. Good luck :)

already? this is only the second time.

i don't know how hard the water is here? it seems about the same as back home (Florida) which i think is medium.

WinterInBloom
October 14th, 2010, 02:36 AM
already? this is only the second time.

i don't know how hard the water is here? it seems about the same as back home (Florida) which i think is medium.

Medium could be enough to cause some of that oily/waxy build up. The ladies I know that had the best results with shampoo bars lived in areas with very soft water. But as I said before, try sudsing up twice with the shampoo bar and rinsing with ACV and see if that helps before giving up on shampoo bars.:)

Nae
October 14th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I got the waxies in the first couple washes, so I clarified, washed twice with the poo bar and always use ACV and I have no trouble. I have pretty hard water here. What brand of poo bars do you use? Different ones have different results, that may also help us pinpoint the problem.

Not sure about the henna stuff, hopefully some Henna Masters will pipe up so we can see what they think!!!:D

Um Enis
October 14th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Yeah, I got the waxies in the first couple washes, so I clarified, washed twice with the poo bar and always use ACV and I have no trouble. I have pretty hard water here. What brand of poo bars do you use? Different ones have different results, that may also help us pinpoint the problem.

Not sure about the henna stuff, hopefully some Henna Masters will pipe up so we can see what they think!!!:D

Clarify with an SLS shampoo or with baking soda? Anything? I've read that baking soda is good with hard water, which is odd to me considering that hard water is alkaline.

Nae
October 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I usually use a sls shampoo, Suave to be exact, because it is cheap and since I don't use it often I feel like I am saving money. If I am clarifying (which I don't have to do more than once every three months) I clarify first then I continue with my routine.

I generally grab whichever Chagrin Valley bar that catches my fancy, and lather with it twice. I also use Suave or Vo5 conditioner after the second wash but before the ACV rinse. I am pretty curly so my hair loves moisture.

After my wash, while the hair is still wet, I put a bit of coconut oil in, put some aloe vera gel and I use a little off my conditioner as a leave in. That is my whole routine lol. I generally damp bun then and my hair ends up really nice and soft.

I haven't figured out the baking soda thing yet so I can't tell you the difference there.

aenflex
October 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Hate to be the parade rainer bur some hair just doesn't mesh well with poo bars. I happen to be one of those people, unfortunately. I tried every suggestion offered to me in an effort to get them right, and I just found after a couple years that I had to give them up :( Still, the hardhead that I am, I've ordered some CV bars and am going to give it another go...just to be sure :)
But like you I got lank, waxy-ish, funky-texture hair from the VC bars, and noticed no difference bewteen SLS poo and the Lush bars, so quit using them to save money. In poo bars' defence, I have only tried those two brands.