PDA

View Full Version : Push Past the Awkward Stage

rapunzhell13
May 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm smack in the middle of the awkward stage of growing out a pixie (again SIGH) and I really, REALLY need some words of encouragement right now. I can put most of it in a ponytail now, but I have wispy front bits that seem like they're taking ages. I'm really tempted to cut back to pixie, even though I KNOW it won't satisfy me. My mind is working against me as it always does at this point, trying to tell me that if only I cut back to pixie I can 'start afresh'. Yeah. Right. :rolleyes: If anyone else goes through the same thing, please feel free to post your frustrations here as well. I'm hoping this can be a 'You Can Do It!' and 'I Feel Your Pain!' thread. TIA! :o

DecafJane
May 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Stick with it! It is totally worth it - I am only a little beyond the stage you are describing right now (although I can't be entirely sure) and I am so happy with my hair.
One thing that really helped me was writing out a haircare pledge on a piece of fancy paper, putting it in a frame and giving it to my husband (my "sponsor" for want of a better word). I pledged to look after my hair really well and never let a pair of scissors near it for the entirety of 2008, and to acquire a hairtoy collection of sorts so I can have fun with it. This has really, really helped me and I am in the mindset that I don't want to cut again for a very, very long time.

I think you have to decide whether you are a longhaired person or a shorthaired person. Trying to switch between the two all of the time is just frustrating and awful! *hug* Decide who you are and be joyous about it. :)

Nevermore
May 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Just remember, you'll be past the wispy stage in no time! Invest in some long snap-style barrettes and aloe gel if you haven't already, it'll help LOADS.

rapunzhell13
May 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Thank you both! The ideas of a pledge and a sponsor are GOLD. :D I have aloe vera gel, but haven't gotten around to investing in many hair toys yet... :eyebrows:

I here and now declare myself a LONGHAIRED PERSON! :cheese:

Nevermore
May 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM
http://www.goody.com/images/products/preview/22246.jpg barrettes like these are LIFESAVERS, especially the longer, hair-colored ones Goody makes. I got a pack of...4 pairs, I believe, at walmart for maybe 3 bucks. I don't think they're too damaging, if you're careful, either.

Riot Crrl
May 26th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I'm not the best one with helpful advice, since the last time I grew out from that short was 1985 and I did it with loads of bleach and Dippity Do. But I do feel your pain and you can do it! :)

DecafJane
May 27th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I here and now declare myself a LONGHAIRED PERSON! :cheese:

Hooray! You won't look back. :D

Katze
May 27th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I can fully sympathise! I last 'grew my hair out' from short back in 1999 or so, and those snappy barettes were a lifesaver! At that length my waves start flipping out around my ears, turning into the dreaded 'first lady hairdo' if I'm not careful, so playing with bobby pins, barettes, headbands, and, when it was long enough, two side pigtails, really helped me.

At your length you can probably do pincurls, finger waves, etc depending on what your hair's wave and texture are like. They were fun for me at that length.

Remember it IS worth it if you get past whatever awkward is for you. My current phase - BSL - is super awkward, but that's mostly due to layers, baby hairs, etc. So although I am 'long' in comparison to you, I am totally with you in spirit!

n3m3sis42
May 27th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I have totally been there. I grew out from ear-length with bangs, and it was awful.

I couldn't pull all of my hair back for the longest time, which was especially irritating because I was very into weightlifting at the time. I had to either wear do-rags or make weird half-ups on top of my head to keep the hair out of my face. I also went through a weird "mullet" stage where my hair looked absolutely awful to the point where I wanted to (and occasionally did) cry from frustration.

It's now almost waist length. It has some thin-ends issues at the moment, but it was totally worth the wait. It will be for you, too.

:cheer: YOU CAN DO IT!!! :cheer:

Mary <><
May 27th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I have recently outgrown the stage that you are describing. Lots of the hairstyles I want to do are still out of reach, but I can do some of them now, and I have no problem keeping it in a full pony. Believe me, you have made the right choice in declaring yourself a longhair and pressing on to the goal. Don't give up, in a few months this will all be but a momory, LOL! We are behind you! :cheer::joy::cheer::joy::cheer::joy::cheer:

Pegasus Marsters
May 27th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I'm with you. I can get most of my hair into a ponytail again now (whoop!) but my bangs are falling in my eyes all the time and driving me nuts, and somehow a few locks always escape by the nape of my neck. Let me assure you it wont last long. You'll be amazed how fast hair can grow :flowers:

C_Bookworm
May 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
O think i'm pretty close to the same length as you, and butterfly clips help so much. I like being able to put my hair up and feel like its in a pretty style and not just like it did anything to get it off my face.

Saranne772
May 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Stick in there and hide your scissors! :)

mommy101405
May 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Stick with it. You are in the worst part right now. Just get some clips and headbands. And let the wispys do there own thing. They can actually look pretty.

This was me
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/courtneyac/P10101001.jpg

My hair now lays on my shoulders. And I've had a alot of significant trims between then and now.

Saranne772
May 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Oops I already posted here! Sorry!!

whiteisle
May 29th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I'm right there with ya! I got a pixie (and a bad one at that!) December 1, 2007 and as I walked out of the salon I knew I was done for good with cutting my hair short. So here I am, a few trims later (there's no way I could have gone trim-free from the original cut) and I'm VERY frustrated with it right now but also hopeful! I've found this great site, full of info, full of support and encouragement, and full of inspiration! I'd love to get my hair to waist length like it was many moons ago and it does seem like it's going to take forever but I think when you do reach your goal and are able to look back, it will not seem like it took that long at all. (At least I'm hoping this is how it will be! :)) We can do this!!

spidermom
May 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I went in to see the stylist about every 6-8 weeks during my grow-out period and had the outer edges trimmed so that the cut stayed shaped up instead of going wispy or mullety on me. It made me feel a lot better. Barrettes, those little snappy clamps, and tiny claw-clips helped a lot, too. I would pull back little sections, twist, and pin.

RavennaNight
May 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I remember my awkward stage exactly a year ago. It was never pixie, but an angle bob, but the awkward stage was shoulder length to me. I was happy it got there, but it wasn't heavy enough to not go poof! My hair took on a triangular shape and I felt like the office girl from Dilbert with the triangular hair. (I also didn't know about the miracle of CO which has been keeping the fuzzies at bay lately.):D

Shadow Walker
May 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hang in there. I've been growing my hair out since I was bald, so I can fully sympathize. The awkward stage will be over before you know it, just try not to think about it too much.

rapunzhell13
May 29th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Thank you all!! :flowers: I'm gonna try and enjoy these shorter stages as I won't be experiencing them ever again. Yay for pushing past the awkward stage!!! :cheese:

Ursula
June 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
I'll add one thing - if you're sure you want to be a longhair, and you hit the stage where you feel you must cut, rather than cutting to another pixie, try cutting to a blunt cut, or as close to a blunt cut as you can manage. Growing out layers is awkward, and seems to frustrate you. If you should cut, choosing a style that won't have layers as it grows out may help you get past the cycle of growing/frustration with layers/cutting.

I'm not saying to cut, I'm just suggesting a different strategy for next time if you do decide to cut.

Morag
June 1st, 2008, 01:18 PM
I am just past shoulder from a pixie right now, and the only way I could get myself through that halfway stage was to continue heavily layering my hair. That way my cut continued to have a shape that looked intentional. Now, this is not the optimium choice for growing hair long - I did it primarily because I think I look horrible in a short blunt cut. Some people look great that way, though, and I would think it would be a better idea in the long run, because although with the layers I felt better about my hair and it got me through the growing out stage, I now have to grow out all my layers to get the thickness I want. And, although my hair is now technically long enough to do updoes, short braids, etc., every updo or braid is decorated with all kinds of straight little ends sticking out until everything gets evened up. So it's still awkward. :p

When it starts to get to me, I just stick it up with a hairstick and some of those little Goody clips recommended earlier, don't look at it, play with my hairtoys, log on to LHC to look at everyone's pictures, and daydream about what it will be like when my hair is long, all one length, and I too can wear updos like the other folks here! :D

DecafJane
June 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
I got so frustrated with my hair last night, and did what I always do - look at pictures of it growing, note how LONG it takes to grow, look at old pictures of it long, and then I feel better. I still wish it was longer, but it will take time. ;)

Xandergrammy
June 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
I can definitely relate and here's proof that this stage really does pass if you persevere.:grin:

January 1997

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/59e1dcab.jpg

May 2008

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/DSCN2163.jpg

DecafJane
June 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM
Xandergrammy, I love that 1997 picture every time you put it up! :D :D :D
I also love your hair - I suspect that we have very similar hairtypes. :)

Xandergrammy
June 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Xandergrammy, I love that 1997 picture every time you put it up! :D :D :D
I also love your hair - I suspect that we have very similar hairtypes. :)

:rollin: It's a hoot, isn't it, DecafJane!?!?! Thank you very much and I do think we have similar hairtypes.

1nuitblanche
June 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM
I grew out from a pixie too, and it really will get better--you're almost there now. I was about 15 when I was there and wore pigtails a lot at the stage that it sounds like you're at. Also, the wispy ponytail looks really feminine, soft, romantic, so even if it's not your personal favourite style, it's not as bad as it seems. If you don't cut, you'll be pleasantly surprised one day when all your hair reaches to the ponytail.

Anje
June 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Persevere! You're almost there!!!!

My husband is at the same point you are right now, and dealing with the same urge to cut. He's about one year of growing from a standard men's cut, and my guess is that he's a 3a or 3b, so the progress is slow. (So, I've been telling female friends that he's considering cutting it -- they all cry "NO!" and boing his curls!)

frizzinator
June 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
All it requires is patience. You will eventually forget the frustration of this growing-out stage.