PDA

View Full Version : New home, new climate......new hair????

my2cats1
October 13th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hi, everyone!

I will soon move from the rainy Pacific Northwest to (relatively) dry Colorado. I can only guess how the change in climate, water, perhaps even altitdue might affect my hair. Does anybody have any advice for me? TIA!

:gobblecheese:

Antipodienne
October 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM
As an erstwhile Colorado Girl, I can tell you that the dry summer heat and winter indoor heating can really take its toll. As a matter of fact, I never had much luck growing my hair until I moved to more humid, friendly climes. Had I known about LHC way back then, I would have known to baby my locks, and add a thick coating of aloe and a thin coating of coconut oil after every shower, with frequent ACV rinses.
Hope that doesn't sound too scary :). Colorado is a really wonderful place with tons of friendly people, and it's certainly not the worst place your hair can end up. You'll be AOK as long as your mantra is moisturize moisturize moisturize!

WinterInBloom
October 13th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I used to live in Colorado, now I live somewhere even dryer, Nevada. You're going to experience changes in your hair, skin, and even body.

For your hair I'd say be prepared to have to change your products and routine. You might need a more moisturizing conditioner, a less harsh shampoo, and if you don't use oil on your hair you may want to start using at least a little if the new climate gives you frizzy fly aways. If all that already describes your routine then great, just be prepared for an adjustment period.

For your skin you'll probably need a new body moisturizer, face moisturizer, and eye cream. All of them heavier. I've never heard of anyone moving to Colorado who didn't have to start using more moisturizing products.

For body, if the altitude where you are moving is higher than where you are now, then please, please, please drink A LOT of water and take your first week in Colorado easy. You can get altitude sickness if you don't. You might notice that it's harder to get enough air, you may feel tired, and you might get headaches at first (which is a sign to slow down and go get water). You may also experience nose bleeds at first because the delicate tissues in your nose can dry out and become irritated from the dry air. Most people adjust to the dry air, others have chronic problems with it and always have to have a humidifier running at home, at least at night.

And did I tell you drink more water yet?;) Seriously, it'll help your hair and skin, and keep you from experiencing the worst symptoms high altitude can cause while you're adjusting to it.

Sooze
October 14th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Good luck with your move My2Cats1.

I live in the UK - pretty cool and damp here much of the time, so heat's never been a problem, although I do agree whenever I go anywhere hot on holiday my hair and skin suffer, and I really have to step up water intake and moisturiser, so agree with WinterInBloom wholeheartedly on that point.

Aevra
October 14th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I live in Colorado and have for all of my life. I don't find it too difficult to keep my hair looking nice here. Really all I do is shampoo and condition with cone and sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, then run a light coating of coconut oil through my hair and I"m good to go. After I started this routine my hair is hardly ever dry. Of course I seldom wash my hair..maybe 1-3 times a month. In the winter I wash it less as the air is more dry and washing it less keeps the oils in my hair longer to keep it nice.

Like winterinbloom and Antipodienne said moisturize. My skin is used to the altitude and the air as I was born up here so I don't use a moisturizer more than once every other day or so...but if you're used to the more humid climates then really, it's a good idea to pick up a pretty heavy moistureizer, we have a product here in Colorado that is made in Denver, the company is called Melt and they are amazing...though a little pricy, but if you use the products correctly (a little is all you need at once) then they will last you months. My face cream has lasted me since February- Marchish ^_^

Also again, drink lots of water and for your first week or so here don't do a lot of running around. Everything will be there when you get used to the altitude. Drink a lot of water, maybe get 9ish hours of sleep instead of a regular 8 since you'll be more tired, and maybe keep some tilonol and some saline spray for your nose incase you get a headache or a nosebleed. You might want to invest into a little cheap humidifier to run at night until you get used to the dryness.

Just be smart, especially if you are moving to one of the higher altitudes here (like 7.5k feet and up) If you visit some of the 14ers be sure to drink LOTS AND LOTS of water. I still have to do that if I"m going up to like TinCup, or a small mountian town like that.

Anyways, I hope that you love your time in Colorado. Be sure to stop by Colorado Springs, it's beautiful here, the Garden of the Gods is an amazing walk/hike.

aenflex
October 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Yea if it were me I would be stoked! My hair always functions better in dryer climate. If you have had issues with frizz and un-manageability, you might see a positive change. Worst thing I even did for my hair was move from the North East down to the sub-tropic, humid climate that is FL.

my2cats1
October 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM
This is great feedback, everyone! Thanks so much for your input.

*rushes off to get a glass of water*

:)

GeoJ
October 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
For me the drier air means less frizzies and less waves in my hair. I love going to mountains for vacation, so enjoy, take advantage of the hiking opportunities, and...you guessed it...drink a lot of water.

I also want to mention, for me the best lip moisturizer is simply unrefined Shea butter; it works better than any lip balm I've ever bought. I use it to moisturize my face & hands when I'm in drier places, too. My hair also benefits from it (mixed with coconut oil).