PDA

View Full Version : Ever brought your own 'poo/condish to a salon?

Neecola
October 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hi all! I've been SLS/paraben/'cone free for about a year now. I've been cutting my own hair ever since. (Curly hair is super forgiving to my many "oops" with the scissors)

I'd love to get a proper cut; you know, by a person that is actually licensed to do so :) But I've been reluctant as I know that most of the products they use contain things I want to stay away from.

Anyone ever bring your own stash for the hairdresser to use?

YesitsReal
October 13th, 2010, 08:26 PM
You could just ask them not to wash your hair or put any product in it--just do a trim. Most hairdressers would be perfectly willing to do that. I told my own stylist that I'm being very careful with my hair and what I put in it, and now she always asks me if it's okay before she puts product in it.

You might also consider going to a barber instead of a "stylist." Barbers have a better reputation for not cutting off more than you want, and the ones I've seen don't do very much real styling unless you ask for it; they're used to cutting on men.

estherbeth
October 13th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Years back, when my mom went to a hairdresser to have her hair styled in a big swirly updo once a week, she brought her own shampoo and conditioner. Until the hairdresser switched to using the brand my mom used as default. But the lady who did her hair never batted an eye - a lot of women brought their own products.

RadiantNeedle
October 13th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Have you thought about going into the salon with hair still wet after you've washed and conditioned it yourself?

wimsey
October 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Have you thought about going into the salon with hair still wet after you've washed and conditioned it yourself?

This is what I would do. It may cost you a little less because they're not doing the washing, too.

little_cherry
October 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
This is exactly what I do whenever I go to the stylist (once in a blue moon.)

Roseate
October 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I've thought about it, but haven't. I kind of like going into the parallel world of cones and heat styling once a year or so.

I quit SLS/cones because of nasty scabby scalp reactions, and though I do get a little flare-up after a salon assault, it's not horrific or irreversible, so I go with it. My hair is so different on cones, it's like wearing a wig for a few days!

When I used to live in a town with a proper curly stylist, she actually didn't use cones or sulfates, so that was a win/win.

RadiantNeedle
October 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
This is exactly what I do whenever I go to the stylist (once in a blue moon.)
Yeah, it's what I do. I often skip on the blowfry/straightening too. Back then it was to save money, and now I think I'd continue the practise to save on potential damage.
What I REALLY don't like about every dang hairdresser and stylist I've ever seen is how rough they are. Washing, brushing, drying, they always tug and wrench and pull my hair like they're in a mad rush! I come home with a sore scalp and much less hair than I would otherwise have if they'd treated me gently!

I think you could easily get away with saying you have chemical sensitivities to conventional hair products. Based on liability suits alone, I think a salon would be only too happy to let you do your own thang!

WinterInBloom
October 13th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I might just do as others have already stated and go when my hair is freshly washed and still wet, but if the washing is to be done at the salon then YES I would bring my own products. The last time I had my hair cut it was shampooed, conditioned, and spritzed with something, all the salons products. Normally I'd hate for non natural stuff to go in my hair, but I was trying out a stylist for the first time and decided to just let him do what he'd normally do. Anyway, the perfume smell from the products was at first nice and light without too much sweetness, but then an hour later the smell seemed to increase tenfold and became sickeningly sweet. I washed and vinegared my hair twice when I got home, and then washed it everyday for the next three days before the smell finally faded a little. I had the worst migraine the whole time. After a little more than a week the perfume smell was finally gone. So yeah, my own products next time for sure if I let them wash my hair at the salon. :P

pepperminttea
October 14th, 2010, 01:21 AM

When I went to a hairdresser, I did this too; towel turban and all. :D

FrannyG
October 14th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I have never gone to a salon with my own products, as it's been years since I've been to a salon, and back then I wasn't as fussy.

My late aunt, however, used to have weekly hair appointments, and she always took her own products to the hairdresser. That shouldn't be a problem. You are the customer, after all.

smileycat
October 14th, 2010, 04:31 AM
My mother always brought her own shampoo and conditioner to the Aveda salon we frequent because she could not stand the smell of Aveda products. I guess I get my picky sense of smell from her, because there are products I will not let them use on me. They take too many washings to get out!

naereid
October 14th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Yes! When I first did it, I was afraid of coming off as a crazy LHCer, but the hairdresser told me that lots of customers do that. Some of her regulars even permanently leave their products of choice in the salon so they don't have to bring them every time.

melikai
October 14th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I haven't brought my own products, but I told the hairdresser that I preferred not to use things with parabens in them (this was years ago, before I knew anything about silicones or sulphates), and she took it upon herself to try to make sure all the things she used on my hair didn't have parabens - without me even asking her to!

I was very impressed. It was an Aveda salon.

Neecola
October 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the input, folks!

If I have to go in after work (and therefore can't have freshly washed locks), I'll bring my own goodies. It is comforting to find out that I'm not THAT weird. Or that there are alot more of us weirdos than I realized :D

Also good suggestion on the barber vs. stylist, YesItsReal.

x0h_bother
October 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM
My hairdresser is getting akward when I advocate for no blowfry or iron, even with my perfectly logical explanations..so I think she would not go for using my own poo/condish. I like the smell of her products anyways, and one day of product is not going to ruin hair (but one day of heat will :() so I'm not sure what I would do if I was you on the poo/condish aspect.