PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of buildup on lackluster hair?

CanadaSquirrel
October 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
My hair has been so lackluster lately. Not sure if that word really describes what I mean. It doesn't feel nice to run my fingers through my hair. I liken the feel to peeling the skins off corn - just big hunks of solid stuff, not smooth silky threads. Similar to a horse's mane.

I'm wondering if maybe it's buildup from the shampoos and conditioners I've used. I usually use a shampoo from the health food store that doesn't have any of those bad things in it (can't recall the name right now but it's in a green bottle with square shoulders...maybe Avalon Organics or something like that... my back is really sore and I don't want to climb the stairs to look at the label in the bathroom).

However, I occasionally use the stuff one of my daughters uses on her hair, Pert Plus for oily hair. At first, it made my hair look and feel good, but I'm thinking it's built up now and needs to get scrubbed out somehow.

Also, the conditioner I use is cheap (Suave coconut scented) but I love the smell. At first, it made my hair look/feel good, but lately anything I use just doesn't work.

I've used expensive salon products over the years and personally I've not found much of a difference in them compared to the cheap stuff, so I just stick with the cheap stuff. Do they ALL just cause buildup after awhile?

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for getting rid of buildup. I sometimes use baking soda but don't know if that is good for the hair. Is it? If so, how much do you use? And what do you use for rinsing afterward? I've heard good things about apple cider vinegar, but don't know how much to use. What, dilute a bit of it in a plastic juice-jug full of water and dump it on my head for the final rinse? (I usually wash my hair kneeling over the edge of the bathtub, hanging my head under the tap).

Thanks,
Squirrel

aenflex
October 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Clarify with clarifying shampoo, or try a chelating shampoo. Or baking soda. Goal is to remove everything and end up with 'fresh-start' hair. GL!

I mix baking soda and water and just a little teeny bit of clarifying poo and wash my hair with it. Sometimes twice. Then ACV and maybe a light conditioner. I don't think BS is bad for hair as long as its not your daily shampoo. The 2 in 1's are notorious for build up...

CanadaSquirrel
October 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
How do you use the ACV? Do you pour a bunch of it straight onto your hair, or dilute a certain amount in water and pour that over as the final rinse, or what?

I always have a bottle of Bragg's ACV in my cupboard, which I often drink in water (a capful per glass).

jojo
October 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I second try clarifying I do this 3 times and then follow up with a moisturising conditioner which I leave on for a good 30 minutes, works every time I love my hair when its been clarified

CanadaSquirrel
October 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM
What is a good brand of "clarifying shampoo" to use? And Jojo, you said you do this three times - do you mean three times in a row all in the same hair-washing session, or over the course of a few days?

SpinDance
October 13th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I'll weigh in for the clarifying. Suave has a clarifying shampoo and conditioner that is inexpensive. You might also try switching product brands. I have best luck switching brands of conditioner and shampoo on a regular basis. I do this randomly, not on any particular cycle. Just what do I think my hair will 'like' this time.

Also, after clarifying you may need to do a deep conditioning treatment, since it can dry your hair out. I've only used the clarifying shampoo once, and it dried my already dry hair out rather significantly, however, it definitely gave me a 'start over' point.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find what works for you.

Carolyn
October 13th, 2010, 01:35 PM
It really sounds like build up to me. I think both Suave and VO5 have clarifying shampoos. I'm all about using the best things on my hair, but honestly a cheap clarifying shampoo will do just fine. The label will tell you if it's a clarifying shampoo. Follow your shampoo with a nice heaving moisturizing conditioner or a SMT. That's Snowy's Moisture Treatment. There are tons of posts about it. The basic recipe is one part honey, one part aloe vera, and 4 parts non cone conditioner. Some heat it in the microwave but I just glop it on my hair and use my heat cap.

little_cherry
October 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I third/fourth clarifying. All I do is dissolve a tbs of baking soda into 2 cups of warm water, pour over my head, leave on for about 3-4 minutes, shampoo, ACV (1-2tbs to 2 cups of water) and then deep condition.

GrowingGlory
October 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Avalon Organics makes a nice lemon clarifying shampoo and conditioner that I have used. They work well without stripping your hair until it is dry and prone to breakage.

Kristin
October 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I like the V05 clarifying shampoo. Effective and cheap. I was not happy with the Lemon from Avalon Organics (and I like other products of theirs), but your results may vary.:)

FrannyG
October 13th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Personally, I would go with a good clarifying shampoo rather than getting into baking soda at this point. Baking soda can be quite drying, so I'd go to that only if the clarifying doesn't work.

If you live in Canada, as your name suggests, I might recommend Herbal Essences clarifying shampoo, which I now believe is called "Drama Clean". It's the green shampoo. It used to be called "Degunkifyier", I think. You may run across either one. It's not too expensive but it's a great clarifier.

Make sure that you deeply moisturize your hair after clarifying.

I hope that whatever method you use works for you! :blossom:

CanadaSquirrel
October 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks, FrannyG. I will look for that Drama Clean. I can totally picture the line of products you are talking about here in BC, Canada. They all have fun names like that!

Niwa
October 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Depending on how much build up you have, aloe vera juice mixed with lemon (use the same ratio you would use to dilute apple cider vinegar with water) can help too, if your hair is sensitive to shampoos, or if you prefer not to shampoo. Leave it on for about 30 minutes, then use a thin, silicone-free conditioner (a cheap VO5 one will do) to wash it out.

HintOfMint
October 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM
The suave conditioner that you use has protein in it and it could be protein buildup. I've had protein buildup before, and it made my hair feel rough and like straw. I would suggest clarifying with any shampoo that doesn't have protein, and then cutting protein completely out of your routine for at least a few weeks. It may take a few washes to get your hair smooth again, but it will get there.

Carriegirl
October 13th, 2010, 08:27 PM
My hair was very much like what you described. What kind of water do you have? We have very hard water here and i discovered it was the minerals building up on my hair that made it feel and look so dull and yuck! I did a heavy ACV rinse (1 part Braggs ACV to 6 parts water - i think i did 1/3 cup ACV and 2 cups water). I did this after shampooing, let it sit a 3 minutes or so, then conditioned. My hair felt and looked so much better! I now do ACV rinse with a lighter mix (like 2 TB ACV to 2 cups water) about every other washing.

I'll bet it wold work great for you too! :)

CanadaSquirrel
October 13th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Carriegirl, you may be right about the mineral buildup. I was thinking of that today as I washed my hair. We have a water softener here but haven't added salt to it in a long time. Always made such a difference in the softness of my hair when I washed it with softened water.

Will definitely be trying the ACV rinse, and getting some clarifying shampoo. Then I should also do an olive oil or mayo deep condition which I've not done in at least a year.

wimsey
October 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Tresemme Vitamin C clarifying shampoo is very reasonably priced and doesn't contain SLS (if you happen to want to avoid it). It's very thick, so I dilute it about 1:8 so that it goes on my hair evenly. Apply to wet hair, lather, rinse well, repeat. Follow with SMT or your favorite rich conditioner.

duh_its_Sarah
October 27th, 2010, 09:13 AM
such good info! I think Ill clarify tonight also with ACV.

CanadaSquirrel
October 27th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Tresemme Vitamin C clarifying shampoo is very reasonably priced and doesn't contain SLS (if you happen to want to avoid it). It's very thick, so I dilute it about 1:8 so that it goes on my hair evenly. Apply to wet hair, lather, rinse well, repeat. Follow with SMT or your favorite rich conditioner.

What is SMT?

I ended up buying some Neutrogena shampoo and using that. And I did an olive oil condition for about half an hour. I don't think it was long enough as my hair didn't become very silky.

Then just yesterday I did a vinegar rinse. I used about 3 or 4 tbsp of white vinegar in a juice jug of tap water, dumped my head forward so I put as much of my hair as possible into the jug, then slowly poured the contents of the jug over my hair. It made my hair look more fluffy and puffed up my waves nicely, but I'm still in need of shine. I'll try apple cider vinegar next time.

duh_its_Sarah
October 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
how did you like the neutrogena one?

CanadaSquirrel
October 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM
how did you like the neutrogena one?

I've used it many times in the past, the first time being in 1989 when I'm pretty sure it used to instruct that it be used for every hair washing for a week, and then when you go back to your regular shampoo, your regular shampoo will work better. Now, however, it says to use it once a week. I only wash my hair twice a week, though, so I don't want to use it that frequently.

The smell isn't fruity or pretty, but for some reason I kinda like it.