PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed and Upset

In2wishin
October 13th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Ok folks, this is what my hair was when I started LHC in may
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/eclctcmnd/IMGP0349-1-2.jpg

And this is where I am now:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/eclctcmnd/PBlength2.jpg

I actually gained 2" in length but my hair looks so scraggly and thin in the newer photo (I wore the same nightgown so the comparison would be easier. I had a major shedding for about 2 months which has finally stopped. All of this work, product changes, etc and my hair looks worse than it did when I started :( Could I already be terminal???? Should I trim and start over? Any suggestions?????

angelfell
October 13th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Maybe the product switches and everything you've made, your hair just doesn't like. Try reverting back to your older products for a while? It does look thinner.. although I really couldn't tell you why, except for maybe your hair just isn't digging whatever you're putting in it. If you experience shedding/hair loss again, begin Biotin.. it takes about a month or two to kick in, but hair loss/shedding will drop dramatically.. or, at least, it did for me. I wasn't losing a whole bunch in the first place, but I completely stopped losing hair in the shower.

Amraann
October 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I think you should take a deep breath.

First off hair does not look identical day to day.

Do you recall exactly what you had been doing when the first photo was taken?
(Shampoo brand etc)

As you said you have used several products since joining so maybe the lesson is that what you were doing was working. (don't fix what is not broken)

I think you should go back to what you were doing and wait about two months and then some small trims ever 6-8 weeks (like a 1/2 inch) until it feels and looks thicker. That way your not losing a ton of length.

I would not cut it all off and start over.

Stick with it and remember that everyone has bad hair days sometimes.

Anje
October 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
It looks like your hair is more spread out in the second picture, which might be contributing to the thinner appearance. In any case, 2" more length isn't bad for 5 months!

How are you wearing your hair, day to day? I'm wondering if friction might be contributing to the thinness.

Hang in there, in any case. The shed didn't help you, but just about everyone goes through those from time to time. Your hair doesn't look thin enough to me that you need to cut back or anything like that. Just take care, try to keep your scalp happy. It'll get better, and no, I don't think you're at terminal yet. You might terminal somewhere in the tailbone-classic region (which is what I suspect mine is doing, too), but I think you'll be able to get to tailbone without any problems and with sufficiently dense ends.

Amraann
October 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
It should also be noted that hair shedding is part of the natural growth cycle and some people do tend to shed more in summer months.

I do. The average person sheds about 150-200 hairs a day. There is a thread about that here somewhere.

Spike
October 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Well, first, hair does not grow evenly–different follicles produce at different rates. So a gain of 2" in 5 months is going to mean some follicles got on the job and really extruded their little roots out–while others slacked off and just went about business as usual. The result? The faster bits outpace the slower bits and the hemline is uneven. Some folks like the effect ("fairytale ends!") and some don’t ("oh, this scraggly mess!").

The summer shed probably didn’t help matters either.

I think the suggestions of returning to the previous routine are solid. Sometimes messing with what works well just . . . messes things up. I would consider trims (½ inch or so about every 3 months) and/or updos while things work themselves out.

Hugs!

BrightEyes7
October 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
It looks like the big shed of yours caused a taper. The ends are thinner than they were before but I contribute that to the shed for the most part.

I also second Anje's opinion that your day to day style may have caused some breakage. How do you normally wear your hair?

I don't think you need to cut. Unless your ends are split/damaged there is no need to cut. If you would like to get rid of the taper do regular trims and maintain the length you are at right now for a while. The more you trim and maintain length, the thicker the hemline will end up. This is what made a big difference in my hair because I didn't want fairytale ends. I like a thick hemline for my hair.

Caldonia Sun
October 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Are your hormones fluctuating, as in menopause? That could cause some thinning.

little_cherry
October 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
It looks like your hair is more spread out in the second picture, which might be contributing to the thinner appearance. In any case, 2" more length isn't bad for 5 months!
This is exactly what I thought...also, your head is tilted forward making your hair look shorter..not bad growth for 5 months, I must say!

aenflex
October 13th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I don't know the changes you hace made. But about 5 years ago when I discovered this site and lurked for a while, I went to all natural products. Poo bars, ACV, no cones, etc. My hair went awry. It changed completely and for the worse despite my best efforts. I slowly incorporated my regulat stuff back into my routine, and added a lot of what I learned here, like coconut oil, SMT, protection while sleeping, etc.
If I had to guess I would say you went from cones to no cones?

In2wishin
October 13th, 2010, 11:09 AM
To answer everyone's questions:

Since it has been summer, I usually wear my hair in a cinnabun or a braid, neither is done tight. In fact, I never band the end of the braid so it loosens a bit over night but never comes unbraided. Now that the weather is cooler, when I am out of the house I wear my hair in a half-up and in a braid around the house.

My routine and products before:

Washed 2X a week with an SLS shampoo I made myself
Conditioned with a conditioner I make myself (no cones, no proteins)
Detangled when wet with a wide toothed comb
Combed and/or brushed when styling to start the day

Now:

Wash 2X a week with SLS free shampoo
Condition with same conditioner
Detangle when dry
Comb and/or brush to style
Oil with herb-infused sunflower oil 1X a week

I just recently started using an oil to stop shedding which is Fractionated coconut oil and EOs. The shedding has stopped but I don't know if it is because of the EOs or it was just seasonal.

I went through menopause 3 years ago so my hormones aren't wacky (unless the lower estrogen causes thinning hair)

aenflex
October 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I would go back to your old stuff and test it out. It's not much of a difference bewteen the two routines, other than addition of oil and removal of SLS. I cannot use non-SLS poo. Despite my really wanting to, and still trying to, I just really can't. My hair gets dull and different.
I also would reccomend using one of the oils that actually penetrate the hair rather than sealing it, but that's solely based on personal preference and might not be good for you. Good luck! Your hair is long and beautiful. And it could just be the pictures. I hope you aren't offended when I say that pic #1 does look fuller and softer. I don't think you're nuts for being a little disappointed...

Amraann
October 13th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Seems to me that detangling when dry is not working.

It does not really work for me either.
I do the majority of my detangling when its wet. (even started a thread about combs and brushes today)

Try your previous methods and see what happens.
Care to share your shampoo and conditioner recipes? Your hair is lovely BTW.

enfys
October 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
You mention "it looks so scraggly and thin in the newer photo". Does it usually look like that in real life or just in the photos?

The top photo looks a little out of focus; has the blurring made it look fuller there?
The bottom photo has yor head in a different position; could the fact it's able to spread out against your body mean it look thinner than when all hanging in a clump together?

Only you know if your braids are thinner or not, or if your texture has changed etc.

I think many women have thinner hair post menopause, but I'm not sure when that difference would occur; other women here are more experienced in that area.

Since your hair is growing at a great rate (better than mine atm!) I don't think this is terminal yet. I think there are other contibutors.

In2wishin
October 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
You mention "it looks so scraggly and thin in the newer photo". Does it usually look like that in real life or just in the photos?

The top photo looks a little out of focus; has the blurring made it look fuller there?
The bottom photo has yor head in a different position; could the fact it's able to spread out against your body mean it look thinner than when all hanging in a clump together?

Only you know if your braids are thinner or not, or if your texture has changed etc.

I can only get the real picture from photos since I live alone so that is what I can go by. I do know that my ponytail has gone down at least 1/2 inch

littlenvy
October 13th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I actually gained 2" in length but my hair looks so scraggly and thin in the newer photo (I wore the same nightgown so the comparison would be easier. I had a major shedding for about 2 months which has finally stopped. All of this work, product changes, etc and my hair looks worse than it did when I started :( Could I already be terminal???? Should I trim and start over? Any suggestions?????
(((( In2wishin ))))

Oh Sweets. My story is very much the same as yours.
I quit shampoo in May and have been experimenting with WO, CO and now SO ... anywho. My hair has NOT liked the fact that I have changed its routine and it cares not that I'm trying to make it healthier :(. I too went through 2 to 3 months of shedding like crazy and lost half of my thinckness. Which might not mean much to many but I went from almost 2" thickness to 1" which is ... well worth weeping over.

The only thing that IS keeping me going now is that the shedding has stopped and that I don't see ANY bald spots on my head. In fact, my roots are quite "dense" with hair which could only mean that new hair is growing :).
I too worried about this being my terminal but then I remembered that I had hair much longer than this before and it was ok. Alas, it will take at least 7 to 9 months before I'll be able to actually "use" this new growth in any way. But I have time.

So keep heart, keep growing ... and get a steady routine going and things should get better.
Worse that will happen is that you will end up with fairy ends ... and that can too be pretty :)

christine1989
October 13th, 2010, 06:53 PM
That is quite a bit of shedding! I would look into nutritional problems first before jumping to conclusions and cutting all of that progress.

lynnspin
October 13th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Your hair is beautiful!! I would try trimming the ends a little bit to even it out. Maybe you should try your old hair care routine. I know with seasonal changes your hair can respond in various ways. I hope you can figure out what to do! It's still beautiful though. I wish my hair was that long!;)

Demetrue
October 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I usually have better luck detangling my hair when it is wet w/conditioner in the shower (with a wide tooth comb). If I wait till it is dry, it's like the tangles get firmly entrenched and I get more breakage.

x0h_bother
October 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hmm how long ago did you quit cones?

akuamoonmaui
October 13th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I find my hair gravitates to the sides even when it's all in the back. It makes my hair look thinner, like your second picture. If I fluff my hair at the base of my head, it disperses it evenly and looks like it should.

In2wishin
October 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hmm how long ago did you quit cones?

About 3 years ago. I never even knew that I was doing it....I just liked the conditioner :p

In2wishin
October 13th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I usually have better luck detangling my hair when it is wet w/conditioner in the shower (with a wide tooth comb). If I wait till it is dry, it's like the tangles get firmly entrenched and I get more breakage.

I just recently started dry detangling. I thought the wet detangling was pulling out too much hair. I guess I'll go back to it for now.

In2wishin
October 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Seems to me that detangling when dry is not working.

It does not really work for me either.
I do the majority of my detangling when its wet. (even started a thread about combs and brushes today)

Try your previous methods and see what happens.
Care to share your shampoo and conditioner recipes? Your hair is lovely BTW.

My old shampoo was made from a concentrate called "Liquid Crystal". I take one part concentrate and 3 parts water and mix. Then I add salt until it thickens the way I like it and add fragrance.

I use the same stuff for shower gel except I add additional moisturizers.

My conditioner is (to make a quart):

3 cups distilled water

All other ingredients by weight:

1.25 oz emulsifying wax (I use BTMS)
1.5 oz avocado oil
2.5 oz grapeseed oil
.75 oz sunflower oil (other soft oils can be used)
.5 oz Glycerin
.5 oz cocoa butter
.5 oz shea butter

Fragrance oil or EO if desired: no more than 2 Tsp

Place butters and oils in a pot over low heat until melted. Melt emulsifying wax in microwave and add to oils. Warm the water and slowly add to oils. Remove from heat and mix with stick blender. Cool until it is just slightly warm and add fragrance. Cool completely and bottle.

These are the proportions that work well for me. I did play with it to get them right so you may have to adjust to personal taste.

In2wishin
October 24th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I am *bumping* to give an update.

Thank you everyone for the advice and sympathy.

I tried wet combing in the shower and that didn't help so I got a brainy idea and guess what.....my hair likes cones! (as long as they aren't in the conditioner)

I have a bottle of Dimethecone so I took a couple of drops of that and put it on the last 8" of ends and my hair doesn't look nearly as scraggly! I think that I will wait to trim and do it either when I reach my goal (tailbone) or when I really can't stand the ends.

I bought the Dimethecone to make a hair serum but never got around to doing it. I made it a couple of days ago. It is:

6 parts squalane
1 part dimethecone
1 part soft oil (I used camellia)
1 part dl-Panthenol

I am thinking of adding some liquid silk and see if that makes a difference. (an idea I got from whoever recommended the Chi silk infusion hair serum on another thread)

There will be pictures as soon as I get a new battery for my camera.