PDA

View Full Version : Blonde foils.. I can't help it!

Hana212
October 13th, 2010, 04:55 AM
So I've booked my hair in at the hair dressers for this coming Monday. Half a head of blonde foils (two tones) and a trim and blow dry..
Now I know what you're all thinking.. but how do I know if it looks good if they don't dry it for me! (it takes over 2 hours for my hair to dry naturally)
I'm going to ask for a .5cm trim because my ends are looking pretty good.
Because I'm dying my hair is there anything you would recommend for me to do in preparation for the damage? Or afterwards??
I'm already getting a keratin treatment at the hairdressers.. I only do this once every 3 months.. will my hair be ok!?!?!

xxx

Dragon
October 13th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I cant give any advice as I dont know much about this stuff but I would like to wish you luck :)

ktani
October 13th, 2010, 05:18 AM
So I've booked my hair in at the hair dressers for this coming Monday. Half a head of blonde foils (two tones) and a trim and blow dry..
Now I know what you're all thinking.. but how do I know if it looks good if they don't dry it for me! (it takes over 2 hours for my hair to dry naturally)
I'm going to ask for a .5cm trim because my ends are looking pretty good.
Because I'm dying my hair is there anything you would recommend for me to do in preparation for the damage? Or afterwards??
I'm already getting a keratin treatment at the hairdressers.. I only do this once every 3 months.. will my hair be ok!?!?!

xxx

You may find this helpful, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-1-of-3-part-series-on-innovative.html. There is a link to the thread in the blog post and the first page of the thread has reports.
Here it is to make it easier for you, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495.

Hana212
October 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks Ktani but wow that is a lot of information! Any way you could break it down for me?? From what I've read I presume you do an oil prior to dyeing? But is this ok when going to the hair dressers??

BelleBot
October 13th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I know applying coconut oil prior to lightening hair can help reduce the damage, though this would be something you'd have to discuss with your stylist. From what I remember it's best to do a fairly heavy oiling an hour or so before bleaching, so you'd apply it before going to the hair dressers. But obviously you'd have to discuss it first, they may be a little alarmed if you turned up with hair saturated in coconut oil without telling them, they might try to wash it out.
Blow drying once in a while won't damage your hair, it's only really if you do it every time you wash your hair. The bleaching will cause more damage.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Katze
October 13th, 2010, 07:20 AM
you can oil first or just go with 'dirty' hair, then do a lot of deep treatments/oiling afterwards...HOWEVER, in my experience the best deep treatment, SMT, will fade out any 'toner' the hairdresser may use, so your expensive highlighting job may end up looking very brassy very quick. That's why there are whole lines of (expensive) colored hair treatment products, many with 'cones.

I don't think a one-off highlight is that bad if your hair is healthy and virgin!

Carolyn
October 13th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I get color and a few high lights too. I also let my stylist blow it dry. I love how my hair looks when it's done like that and once every 3-4 months is not a big deal IMO for my hair. A night or two before I go, I oil my hair and wash it out with a CO/SMT in the morning. I think it's best to do a heavy oiling before rather than right after as oil can remove some of your new color.

ktani
October 13th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks Ktani but wow that is a lot of information! Any way you could break it down for me?? From what I've read I presume you do an oil prior to dyeing? But is this ok when going to the hair dressers??

You can do a heavy overnight oiling of coconut oil or coconut oil and argan oil. Most of it should penetrate the hair well enough not to be a problem by morning. I do agree with letting your stylist know in advance what you are planning to do, having the processing don on your oiled hair.

This has been reported to work well before highlights with no problems.

My sister in law gets hightlights done twice a year. She used to keep her hair above shoulder length and suffered no obvious damage doing so, doing no deep conditioning treatments period. Her hair is longer now and I have not seen any recent highlights done.

Damage to healthy, virgin or any hair depends on how well the highlights are done and the expertise of the one doing them. It is about the proper amount of the processing chemicals used for the indivdual's hair and timing.

jojo
October 13th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I used to highlight my hair and to be honest my hair was no more drier or damaged than when it was virgin. I only started hendigoing because the roots got me down (i only ever used to root-re-touch). I seriously believe if you lay off heat, do plently of oilings and DC theres no reason why highlighted hair cannot be healthy.

Good luck and please do share the results xx

Hana212
October 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Thank-you everyone for your replies. As this is a new hairdresser I will just go in with dirty hair as usual.. and will do a deep coconut oil soak 2 or 3 nights before. If I like the way she does my hair, i will ask her opinion on me oiling prior to my next visit...
If I don't like how my hair turns out, I will go to my normal hairdresser and ask her instead.
Oh, and I don't have virgin hair either - i've been dying it since I was 11 but up until now I had no knowledge about hair care whatsoever!

(and if any ones wondering why I'm trying a different hair dresser... the new one you can get a spa pedicure and manicure whilst having your hair done! WIN!)

xxx

lippleyluv
October 13th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Maybe this is what we need, a thread for those of us who have flat-out color treated hair. Ideas on keeping it healthy, what works, or doesn't.

Mine is color treated and that is NOT going to change any time soon ~ my natural color (white) is definitely not flattering to my skin tone and I don't want to look a bunch older that I am, not yet anyways.:)

Good luck, enjoy and I hope all goes well.

Katze
October 14th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Maybe this is what we need, a thread for those of us who have flat-out color treated hair. Ideas on keeping it healthy, what works, or doesn't.

Mine is color treated and that is NOT going to change any time soon ~ my natural color (white) is definitely not flattering to my skin tone and I don't want to look a bunch older that I am, not yet anyways.:)

Good luck, enjoy and I hope all goes well.

there are MANY such threads already. :) try an advanced search.

FrannyG
October 14th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I wish members here didn't feel that they need to be apologetic for colour treating their hair. Plenty of us do, many with hair much longer than my own.

I have had enormous success with using coconut oil prior to colouring, and I really do recommend that you talk to your hairdresser and give it a go. It's made all the difference in the world to my hair.

I've been using coconut oil before touching up my roots for just over 2 years now, and I can see and feel exactly where that 2 year's worth of hair is thicker and healthier than the ends. It's a measurable difference.

Best of luck, and you'd better post a photo or two. You know how we love our photos here. :)

Hana212
October 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I wish members here didn't feel that they need to be apologetic for colour treating their hair. Plenty of us do, many with hair much longer than my own.

I have had enormous success with using coconut oil prior to colouring, and I really do recommend that you talk to your hairdresser and give it a go. It's made all the difference in the world to my hair.

I've been using coconut oil before touching up my roots for just over 2 years now, and I can see and feel exactly where that 2 year's worth of hair is thicker and healthier than the ends. It's a measurable difference.

Best of luck, and you'd better post a photo or two. You know how we love our photos here. :)

of course I will!! for lack of a better word, I am a self proclaimed photo whore.. I love taking photos!!!
I will chat to my hair dresser reg. coconut oil.
I'm confused as to how it works though, I imagine the colour would not still well with coconut oil coating the hair??

xxx

Carolyn
October 15th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Best of luck, and you'd better post a photo or two. You know how we love our photos here. :)Thank you for saying that, Franny :flowers:

I like to step up oiling the week before I get color and high lights. I think it helps.

ktani
October 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Thank you for saying that, Franny :flowers:

I like to step up oiling the week before I get color and high lights. I think it helps.

I second kudos to FrannyG for her post regarding not being apologetic for using conventional hair dye. There are many gorgeous heads of hair here, regardless of pre-treatments being used on the hair, that are colour-treated.

justgreen
October 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I make no apologies for my highlights (past 5+ years). I also blowdry when I feel like it. Again no apologies. I do on occassion use a curling iron or flat iron on my bangs. My hair was almost classic length, but I hadn't had a hair cut in almost two years, so I had 2" removed. Best thing I ever did. I'm watching the length of my roots and whatever they grow, I'm going to trim half that off the ends everytime i get my foils done.
ETA: I always go to the salon with dirty hair before highlights.

lippleyluv
October 15th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I have tried to look up the color treated threads but I'm not very good at making the search function work for me. Operator error, of course :)

Hana212
October 18th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Oh I have terrible news...

The stupid, stupid hairdresser left the bloody foils in for too long and burnt my hair off!! It was coming out in big chunks!!!
I am so so so very upset.. the colour is nice but she's wrecked my hair!!
And she was so rough with my hair..

Never ever going there, ever again!!

Needing hugs right now.

ktani
October 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Oh I have terrible news...

The stupid, stupid hairdresser left the bloody foils in for too long and burnt my hair off!! It was coming out in big chunks!!!
I am so so so very upset.. the colour is nice but she's wrecked my hair!!
And she was so rough with my hair..

Never ever going there, ever again!!

Needing hugs right now.

I just posted in your other thread. How awful. A double whammy. I am so sorry! Hugs (I cannot find the emoticon).

Your hair will recover from this! The salon should compensate you somehow, even if it is only with conditioning treatments. While nothing can repair the damage, there are treatments that can help strengthen the damaged hair that is left, including coconut oil.

Hana212
October 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I just posted in your other thread. How awful. A double whammy. I am so sorry! Hugs (I cannot find the emoticon).

Your hair will recover from this! The salon should compensate you somehow, even if it is only with conditioning treatments. While nothing can repair the damage, there are treatments that can help strengthen the damaged hair that is left, including coconut oil.

They should compensate me.. but I don't want to go back there!!
The worst thing was my mum is friends with the lady that owns the salon, and she's lovely (and going through a really terrible cancer ordeal) and I don't want to hurt her feelings, or cause her to lose money because of a silly employee...

ktani
October 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
They should compensate me.. but I don't want to go back there!!
The worst thing was my mum is friends with the lady that owns the salon, and she's lovely (and going through a really terrible cancer ordeal) and I don't want to hurt her feelings, or cause her to lose money because of a silly employee...

That complicates things. Ok, assess what is left of the damaged hair, S&D, trim what you need to and start deep treatments. A coconut oiling is one option. Adding coconut oil to a shampoo is another, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025. See the first post.

Dragon
October 19th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I'm sorry this happend :grouphug:

Garnett
October 19th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I hate hearing stories like this!! Speaking as a licensed hairstylist, you need to go back and tell the manager. She needs to know what happened, and see the damage. Their number one priority should be YOUR HEALTHY HAIR and this obviously did not happen! Please go back and talk to someone there! The road to colour CAN be non-damaging, but only if it's done correctly. I'm sorry your hair is damaged now :(

lippleyluv
October 19th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Oh I am so sorry this happened !:( (((((hugs)))))):grouphug:

Roscata
October 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
It's happened to me in the past. I'm sorry it happened to you. :grouphug:

Rocket22
October 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I had this happen to me and it's devastating!!! (photos in album) just hang in there and keep doing conditioning treatments, it will feel better before you know it.

FrannyG
October 19th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Oh, Hana, I am so sorry that this happened. :grouphug: And I know you were excited about this. Well, many of us have been through this or something similar. Luckily, you have great resources here for keeping your existing hair healthier and also, thank heaven, hair grows.

I understand why you don't want to make trouble for your mother's friend, but I'm sure she'd want to know that this happened and at least do something for you. Did you have to pay?

I really wish I could hop through the computer and give you a hug for real. But it will be okay. Really, it will. :blossom:

ktani
October 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I "borrowed" this from another post.

:grouphug:

Hana212
October 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM
My mum is calling her friend (the owner of the company) and telling her what has happened.
FrannyG I did have to pay.. $145 for half head of foils, trim, blow wave, treatment...
not happy about it..
I have put photo's in my album of the disaster...
Tonight I am doing a hair treatment, and maybe a coconut oil soak as well.. I will treat my hair with lots of love and hopefully it will get better!!

FrannyG
October 19th, 2010, 06:13 PM
My mum is calling her friend (the owner of the company) and telling her what has happened.
FrannyG I did have to pay.. $145 for half head of foils, trim, blow wave, treatment...
not happy about it..
I have put photo's in my album of the disaster...
Tonight I am doing a hair treatment, and maybe a coconut oil soak as well.. I will treat my hair with lots of love and hopefully it will get better!!

There is absolutely no way that anyone should have to pay to have their hair melted off by bleach. No hair salon owner would even expect you to, in my experience. Most salon owners will do anything to keep you happy, and really, it's not much money out of their pocket to give you a freebie, and it's worth it to help salvage their reputation.

Seriously, Hana, this is NOT okay. I hope your mother has some good results with her friend, the owner, and if not, you need to go and see her yourself and show her the damage.

I'm serious. It's an outrage that this happened to you, but it only adds insult to injury that you actually had to pay for this.

Please keep us posted. And here are some more hugs. :grouphug:

Hana212
October 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Thank-you for the hugs :) I appreciate them...
The worst part is the fact that I tried to tell my DBF about it and he just says he likes me blonde and it still looks good regardless of damage.. he doesn't understand like all my fellow LHC people! I just wanna cry!
And it feels so fragile.. I don't want to go near it with a brush or comb!!
Luckily I bought a buffolo horn comb on ebay last week which should arrive on Monday.. and today I bought proper hair cutting scissors so that I can do a thorough S&D and I bought an all natural hair treatment today and metal free elastic bands (that took me a while)...

sigh... I will get there, and I will keep updating everyone on how it goes.
I don't think mum has spoken to her yet.. I keep calling mum but she's really busy at work today... hmm maybe tomorrow.

P.s. random question - any tips on how to make an afro wig stay on your head - its part of my dance costume... bobby pins??

ktani
October 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I appreciate how badly you feel for the shop owner and her illness. There is another way to look at this though and I am really glad for you, that your mom is going to make the call.

You are helping to save the salon! It is too late to salvage the hair that you lost (that broke off). However, the money you spent may be recoverable in cash, or treatments that you may even be able to take home with you, and apply yourself.

As ill as this woman may be, she still needs to pay bills. If this stylist is not dealt with, and either very closely monitored or let go, there will be no salon. Not many people would be as compassionate you are about such lack of professionalism by a stylist, in doing what she did, not offereing you compensation of some sort, and not accepting responsibilty for the disaster she caused.

Hana212
October 21st, 2010, 05:08 AM
Ktani you would be happy to know that my mum spoke to the owner of the salon today regarding the incident on Monday. She is sending me out a full refund and has offered to do my hair for free (herself) next time if I ever want to go back, as well as some conditioning treatments..
I am happy with this result and thank-you for your concern and advice.. I'm guessing the salon owner is going to have a stern chat with one of her staff members very soon!
xxx

Demetrue
October 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hana - you can help what is left of the bleached hair feel less fragile by alternating protein treatments with moisture treatments for several weeks. I found some success with Redken's All Soft shampoo and conditioner, Redken's CAT rinse-out spray, and REdken's Anti-Snap leave in.

Hana212
October 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hana - you can help what is left of the bleached hair feel less fragile by alternating protein treatments with moisture treatments for several weeks. I found some success with Redken's All Soft shampoo and conditioner, Redken's CAT rinse-out spray, and REdken's Anti-Snap leave in.

Does Redken have any cones or SLS in it?
Is there a natural alternative for a protein treatment that I could try?? My hair is feeling a bit 'crispy' at the ends especially so this would mean I need protein right??

oh.. and on a side note its also really shiny? if you watch my failed heatless curling attempt on youtube www.youtube.com/hana212 you can see how shiny it is :D

ktani
October 22nd, 2010, 03:55 AM
Ktani you would be happy to know that my mum spoke to the owner of the salon today regarding the incident on Monday. She is sending me out a full refund and has offered to do my hair for free (herself) next time if I ever want to go back, as well as some conditioning treatments..
I am happy with this result and thank-you for your concern and advice.. I'm guessing the salon owner is going to have a stern chat with one of her staff members very soon!
xxx

I am very happy that the salon owner is doing this and has offered this. She sounds very professional. I would take up the offer of the conditioning treatments if you can and they are part of the compensation. If they are not, there are more options than the coconut oil I recommended. I am sure that you will get great advice on that here. The Redken products sound good and there are other great products too. You need to see what you can afford and what you and your hair like. All the best to you on that!

That stylist needs more than just a stern talking to, in my opinion. However, I have no opinion as to what exactly I would do on that. It depends on a number of things. The stylist needs to be reeducated on a number of issues.

Hana212
October 22nd, 2010, 04:38 AM
TBH I hope she fires her.. HMMPH!
I wish I had the ability to do my own hair.. I would prefer to stuff it up myself than have someone else do it.. but I really don't trust myself that much either lol :D

ktani
October 22nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
TBH I hope she fires her.. HMMPH!
I wish I had the ability to do my own hair.. I would prefer to stuff it up myself than have someone else do it.. but I really don't trust myself that much either lol :D

I can certainly understand your reaction and recommendation!

You can learn how to do the foils yourself. It would take careful research, studying directions (product and product knowledge), and shed hair strand tests, to be on the safest side of safe. It is not impossible for you to do that.

Hana212
October 22nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
I can certainly understand your reaction and recommendation!

You can learn how to do the foils yourself. It would take careful research, studying directions (product and product knowledge), and shed hair strand tests, to be on the safest side of safe. It is not impossible for you to do that.

Hehe I read that last part wrong and thought you said "It is not possible for you to do that" and I was like ohhh whyyy!!
I don't know if I would have the patience but I'm sure it would save me a lot of money!!
I wish Henna came in blonde :(

ktani
October 22nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hehe I read that last part wrong and thought you said "It is not possible for you to do that" and I was like ohhh whyyy!!
I don't know if I would have the patience but I'm sure it would save me a lot of money!!
I wish Henna came in blonde :(

Lol, I have been known to misread a few posts too. It is up to you if you want to learn to do it and it is very possible that you can learn it.

I would avoid henna completely. It is permanent and even with mixes, the other things added to it tend to wash out or fade (except 2 step henndigo), leaving behind henna red tones. I have nothing against henna. It is a commitment though.

Hana212
October 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Lol, I have been known to misread a few posts too. It is up to you if you want to learn to do it and it is very possible that you can learn it.

I would avoid henna completely. It is permanent and even with mixes, the other things added to it tend to wash out or fade (except 2 step henndigo), leaving behind henna red tones. I have nothing against henna. It is a commitment though.

Yeah people keep telling me to avoid it.. I don't think my work place would like it if I turned up with flaming red hair either.. I wish my natural color was pretty then I wouldn't have to worry about dying it :(

ktani
October 22nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah people keep telling me to avoid it.. I don't think my work place would like it if I turned up with flaming red hair either.. I wish my natural color was pretty then I wouldn't have to worry about dying it :(

Do what makes you happy. It is your hair. Dying it is just fine.

Hana212
October 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Do what makes you happy. It is your hair. Dying it is just fine.

:D how effective is honey lightening?? Just for a slight moderation in topic.. xxx

ktani
October 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
:D how effective is honey lightening?? Just for a slight moderation in topic.. xxx

It can be quite effective. It depends on what you want it to do though. It is not as fast as conventional peroxide. It depends on the starting colour and other variables.