PDA

View Full Version : Please try to help me define my natural hair color

juliaxena
October 13th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Since I haven't seen my natural hair color in over 10 years, I have no idea what it is like. Which it is. I only have a inch of natural roots at the moment and I'm panicing it's too dark for my liking. So please try and help me define it. I know it's too early to tell and I'd be able to get a better assessment with longer roots, but I'm really freaking out.

The pics are not very good. Also take into consideration the light in the bathroom is pretty strong. On one picture you can see golden part-that's my lightened and "dyed" over with a temporary dye color.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af272/juliaxena/IMG00769.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af272/juliaxena/IMG00775-1.jpg

Is this ash brown? I'm not comfortable with it at all...

Nymphie
October 13th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I'm guessing on dark blond, but you can't tell when it's so little. My hair looked like it was some kind of dark ash-blond/light brown when the roots where just an inch. Now, (My virgin hair is about 5-6 cm I think, haven't got into the measuring habit) I can see that my hair if some kind of golden blond, at least in the bathroom light :P

Bianca
October 13th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Looks pretty similar to mine (ash blonde). So if you give it some time, it will look a lot better than that inch of roots.

My hair didn't look that exciting at first either and I was a little freaked out, now that it's about jaw lenght, and with a lot of golden natural highlights, i'm loving it.

juliaxena
October 13th, 2010, 04:16 AM
My hair didn't look that exciting at first either and I was a little freaked out, now that it's about jaw lenght, and with a lot of golden natural highlights, i'm loving it.

It's also easy to freak out when people call it dark brown :(. My boyfreind did that a few days ago.

Bianca
October 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM
It's also easy to freak out when people call it dark brown :(. My boyfreind did that a few days ago.

Yes :agree: One of my friends called my hair brown once, but we were in a dark basement, still got a little annoyed :p

juliaxena
October 13th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Yes :agree: One of my friends called my hair brown once, but we were in a dark basement, still got a little annoyed :p

But...your hair looks much lighter than mine...

I'm still scared it might be brown. No offence to brunettes here but I was a light blonde hair child. Then my hair got darker but not THAT dark. I started dying because my mother wanted my childhood color. I don't need to have it light blonde, that's why I stopped dying. But now I'm seeing it's darker than 10 years ago. Maybe too dark...

BelleBot
October 13th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I think roots always scare people if they've spent years dying their hair. Mine come through as a dark ash colour, though my hair is naturally dark blonde, it's just that the roots have had very little sun exposure and all hair lightens over time with exposure to UV. So if you do choose to grow out your natural colour you'll probably find it lightens naturally to a dark blonde colour. If you look at natural blondes you'll see their roots are usually darker than their length, though it does seem pretty rare to see natural blondes as most people will add highlight or dye a different colours these days it seems. :shrug:

kristymarie87
October 13th, 2010, 06:59 AM
i think the colour the roots are next to affects how light/dark it looks

eg. When i bleached my hair the roots looked very dark brown. When i dyed it dark they looked light brown/dark blonde.

dont panic!

Gothic Lolita
October 13th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Most people find that roots look ashy compared to the dyed parts. I think that's due to the brilliance of chemical colours which can never be achieved by nature. Wait until you see a bit more of your natural color. If you really dislike it you could still use plant-dyes to enhance it, give it a more golden shine....

Katze
October 13th, 2010, 07:18 AM
as many people have said, your roots will always look darker than your hair is.

Your roots look very similar to my color, which is considered light brown where I live. In other parts of the world I am considered blonde. Go figure. Blonde is definitely a subjective category!

I was also blonde as a kid, but hair color changes. A lot. Not just in puberty but throughout your adult life.

In my experience healthier hair looks darker than damaged hair, and my healthier hair does not seem to sun-bleach as much as it did when it was too dry and damaged.

juliaxena
October 14th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I have sun skin alergies so I can't spend time in the sun though...

I'm still not sure what color this is, can I have some more guesses from you? Thanks... And thank you all for comforting words.

WinterInBloom
October 14th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Your hair color looks really similar to my son's. Some days (or maybe just in certain lighting) I look at him and think he has light ash brown hair. Out in the sun I definitely think it's dark ash blond. Even though you said your picture was taken with a lot of light it still looks a little dark, so my best guess is the same dark ash blond I see on my son when outside. :)

Roseate
October 14th, 2010, 12:46 AM
On my monitor, your roots look a shade lighter than your dyed hair. Dark blonde/light brown, too early to tell about ash/neutral/golden tones.

You really can't tell what it's going to look like for several inches yet. Even without the sun, most people's hair has natural variation in it that is really lovely, and that doesn't become visible for quite a while, especially with a big block of dyed hair right next to it.

cocolady
October 14th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I have that same natural haircolor... I would call it light/medium brown.