PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Roller Set/Wrap Hair?

Vermelha
October 12th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I know I'm not the only one...

I have *FINALLY* mastered the art of the roller set. I've been setting my 3b/3c hair on jumbo rollers and air drying at night for looser, softer curls in the morning. This helps me keep my hair free of tangles as well as create a style I can wear all week. It also makes oiling easier. I just do it to loosen my natural wave and make it more manageable. I know most do it to put curl in their hair as well.

Anyone else set/wrap their hair?

christine1989
October 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I used to when my hair was shorter and I really liked the results. Unfortunatly once my hair passed APL it became impossible to get the rollers out of my hair without massive tangles :(.

Vermelha
October 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I used to when my hair was shorter and I really liked the results. Unfortunatly once my hair passed APL it became impossible to get the rollers out of my hair without massive tangles :(.

Did you need bigger rollers? I had that issue once I passed APL because my rollers were too small. I moved up to jumbo and now my hair doesn't tangle anymore.

I agree, when hair is shorter, it's MUCH easier. Before my hair was shoulder length, roller setting was a daily thing. Not so much now...

Roseate
October 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I've done this with big rollers to straighten. It's fun, but not worth the effort for me very often. It takes longer than a full day to air dry and I'm no good at sleeping on rollers.

It does give me really big bouncy straight hair with some cute flips at the ends, kind of a 60's looking style... now you've made me want to give it another try!

Luckysock
October 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM
sounds lovely

GirlInterrupted
October 13th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I've tried it twice but I have such a hard time getting all the rollers in bc I use the biggest size and they don't all fit next to each other.

Do you have the same problem that the rollers r so big that they don't roll and stay in properly? If so how do u get around it?

Vermelha
October 13th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I've tried it twice but I have such a hard time getting all the rollers in bc I use the biggest size and they don't all fit next to each other.

Do you have the same problem that the rollers r so big that they don't roll and stay in properly? If so how do u get around it?

What I would suggest is going down a roller size (or two). The curl may be tighter, but it'll loosen. Better than using too big of a roller and having a sloppy set.

If you do want to use the larger rollers, then I would get some roller clips (they're cheap) or long hair pins to secure the roller at the root. I'd sit under a hairdryer or start EARLY in the morning and air dry cause large rollers suck, period ;)

OR use the magnetic rollers with the snap-on piece that goes on top of the roller to secure it. Those really help hold the hair. They look like these (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Snap-On-Magnetic-Rollers/SBS-292651,default,pd.html). I have to use like 24-26 Jumbo to get a decent set that dries fast. I can set my hair in less than 30 minutes with these...

---
BTW, what roller size does everyone use and at what length? I have to use Jumbo or larger and I'm *resting* at BSL.

aenflex
October 13th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I love meduim rollers to set, I love pin curls, I have my own version of that that I do and it rocks! I just twist fat sections, maybe 5-6 per side, and pin them halfway down so my ends dry almost straight and farther up the shaft will have these cool kinks. It looks better than it sounds :)
I rarely use heat when setting my hair, normally just leave myself a long time for it to air dry, with occasional rare shots from the blow dryer. I love setting, much better for me than irons.

Mangachan
October 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Oh my, I haven't done any type of roller set in years. I tried it on my sister a few months ago and the results were horrible. LOL I used jumbo magnetic rollers with only bobby pins holding it up. The sections were too big for each roller but using more rollers of that size doesn't seem feasible.

HintOfMint
October 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I occasionally wrap my hair although it's getting a bit long and unwieldy so it takes me longer. I would also like to experiment with pin curls.

I have a few questions about setting lotion. Do y'all use it? What are some good brands and what are their ingredients? Does setting lotion make a difference in the finish?

Mangachan
October 13th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I occasionally wrap my hair although it's getting a bit long and unwieldy so it takes me longer. I would also like to experiment with pin curls.

I have a few questions about setting lotion. Do y'all use it? What are some good brands and what are their ingredients? Does setting lotion make a difference in the finish?

yes, setting oil matters. If you use a heavier one, the curls will have a stronger hold and can even be crunchy. There are setting lotions that you can dilute, that way you can decide what type of hold you want. One of them is called "Lotta Body".

shaybabe8604
October 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I love roller setting my hair! I use a bonnet style hair dryer on cool setting to help it dry faster. If I get tired of the curls before they fall naturally, I just wrap my hair at night. When I wake up, it always has the perfect mix of straightness and volume that i can't seem to get from heat straightening.

HintOfMint
October 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
yes, setting oil matters. If you use a heavier one, the curls will have a stronger hold and can even be crunchy. There are setting lotions that you can dilute, that way you can decide what type of hold you want. One of them is called "Lotta Body".

Are they like a gel? How do they feel?

Vermelha
October 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM

Not usually. I just use cool water in a spray bottle. I have setting lotion, but I dilute them a lot. My favorites are BB Foam Wrap and Lottabody (very stiff). I just don't need them. I like a soft, natural set.

Yeah, it does make a difference. Setting lotion helps curls stay longer, but they are harder to comb out. I prefer using a moisturizer or a leave-in conditioner for a silkier, softer set, or just plain water.

Vermelha
October 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Are they like a gel? How do they feel?

No, they are lighter than mousse...like a watery consistency. But you can use a light gel to rollerset if you really like a stiff curl. Also, setting lotions can be diluted to your liking. I like my lotion to be very diluted. I only like enough to hold the curl but maintain softness.

HintOfMint
October 13th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Not usually. I just use cool water in a spray bottle. I have setting lotion, but I dilute them a lot. My favorites are BB Foam Wrap and Lottabody (very stiff). I just don't need them. I like a soft, natural set.

Yeah, it does make a difference. Setting lotion helps curls stay longer, but they are harder to comb out. I prefer using a moisturizer or a leave-in conditioner for a silkier, softer set, or just plain water.

No, they are lighter than mousse...like a watery consistency. But you can use a light gel to rollerset if you really like a stiff curl. Also, setting lotions can be diluted to your liking. I like my lotion to be very diluted. I only like enough to hold the curl but maintain softness.

Thank you both!

KristiLe
October 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Just bought some rollers from Sally's! I got some big ones for straightening and some small ones for when I want little orphan annie curls. Can't wait to try them!! :D

FrannyG
October 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I like to do a damp set on those spiral curlers that are meant to be heated, but I don't heat them. Are they called Hot Sticks? I can't remember. Anyway, my hair sets quickly with them, and sometimes it's nice to have curls.

I don't use setting lotion, but I do use a dab of Morrocco Method Blood of the Dragon styling gel. It's a bit pricey, but it holds like you wouldn't believe (almost nothing else makes my hair hold a curl), doesn't make my hair crunchy or sticky, is really hair friendly, and I don't need to use much. I try to find it when it's on sale.

Some setting lotions have a lot of alcohol in them. For some people that's not a problem, but it does dry my hair out.

Buddaphlyy
October 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I used to rollerset when I was super short and relaxed. I may start again next year when I get some bigger rollers.

Superfine
October 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I had a roomate in the 60s who had tailbone or longer length hair (blond,fine). After washing once a week she set the crown with big rollers, but started the roller about 8 in. from the scalp & rolled it to the scalp letting the long end dangle. Then she sat under a soft bonnet dryer on low. Most of the length of hair was outside the dryer (esp. the ends). I've started letting my BSL length naturally dry this way with only 4 rollers in the top. It gives a little lift & actually dries pretty fast.

manderly
October 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I made a tutorial about it long ago and it's been discussed by others....it still doesn't seem to be highly popular. I haven't done it in a long time, I find it more difficult with my length now and I've been happy with my natural curl pattern. Though I do miss the shine, silkiness, and days worth of good hair I got from doing such.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1499&highlight=wetset

My siggy is a wet set :)

Vermelha
October 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I made a tutorial about it long ago and it's been discussed by others....it still doesn't seem to be highly popular. I haven't done it in a long time, I find it more difficult with my length now and I've been happy with my natural curl pattern. Though I do miss the shine, silkiness, and days worth of good hair I got from doing such.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1499&highlight=wetset

My siggy is a wet set :)

Yep! That's exactly how I roll, lol :cool: Very nice wet set!

Clytemnestra
October 15th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I've mentioned before that I cut my waist length hair to my shoulders in order to do vintage sets, and although I am growing it again, in the meantime I still do wet sets when I have time on the weekend. I'll use different size rollers with the diluted lotta body lotion in order to straighten my somewhat wavy hair, or do an all over pin curl set for soft curls. I can actually do this method as a dry set too, since I have so much wave in my hair, and still get decent curls.

When I first started doing the pin curl set, it was interesting to look at old pictures of setting examples and how they would set it to get different styles, and the most important thing stressed was pinning the curls clockwise one row, and counter clockwise the next row. I've also got some old wave clips that I like to use for a 1930's kind of look, this works well with a low bun or chignon, another reason that I am growing again.

I admit from being on this board that I don't do pin curls as much as I might because I am afraid the metal clips might damage my hair, not sure if this is true or not though, but since I am in the process of growing it out, I try to be careful. I imagine the roller set is much more hair friendly, and I like the smooth rollers with roller clips. I also don't do warm bonnet drying, I just wrap a vintage scarf around them and go. Cool topic!

Vermelha
October 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I've mentioned before that I cut my waist length hair to my shoulders in order to do vintage sets, and although I am growing it again, in the meantime I still do wet sets when I have time on the weekend. I'll use different size rollers with the diluted lotta body lotion in order to straighten my somewhat wavy hair, or do an all over pin curl set for soft curls. I can actually do this method as a dry set too, since I have so much wave in my hair, and still get decent curls.

When I first started doing the pin curl set, it was interesting to look at old pictures of setting examples and how they would set it to get different styles, and the most important thing stressed was pinning the curls clockwise one row, and counter clockwise the next row. I've also got some old wave clips that I like to use for a 1930's kind of look, this works well with a low bun or chignon, another reason that I am growing again.

I admit from being on this board that I don't do pin curls as much as I might because I am afraid the metal clips might damage my hair, not sure if this is true or not though, but since I am in the process of growing it out, I try to be careful. I imagine the roller set is much more hair friendly, and I like the smooth rollers with roller clips. I also don't do warm bonnet drying, I just wrap a vintage scarf around them and go. Cool topic!

I LOVE vintage sets too! I want to perfect the Marcel wave one day with rollers. I may give it a try. I saw a YouTube tutorial on how to do it a while back. I may post it here.

I don't do pin curls though. I'm afraid of the metal clips also.

And actually, I'm trying to grow my hair longer to get a fuller set. I was thinking of growing my hair to WL to do the Marcel roller set. I'm trying to get a similar style to the girl on the Pantene commercial a while back. I LOVE her style (which I know probably has foam pieces and extensions all in it, lol).

Jezerellica
October 15th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks to UltraBella, I was inspired to try a couple different curling techniques. No heat for either one. I just use damp hair and end up with a spiral type curl each time. Thank you UltaBella!!! I am having a blast with my new curls. Let me say, they require plenty of time so no damage is done to hair. Mine is very fine and I must take my time, but it is so worth it!!!

Clytemnestra
October 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I LOVE vintage sets too! I want to perfect the Marcel wave one day with rollers. I may give it a try. I saw a YouTube tutorial on how to do it a while back. I may post it here.

And actually, I'm trying to grow my hair longer to get a fuller set. I was thinking of growing my hair to WL to do the Marcel roller set. I'm trying to get a similar style to the girl on the Pantene commercial a while back. I LOVE her style (which I know probably has foam pieces and extensions all in it, lol).

I love Marcel waves, too. That would be great if you could find that tutorial for rollers, the only way I know how to do it is with the long aluminum wave clips, and the metal scrunching the hair seems like a set-up for breakage, so I definitely limit my use. Any pics of that Marcel roller set would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of just going to bsl this time around, and maintaining it there so I can continue my occasional guilty pleasure pin curls but also do my sock and ballerina buns. I am going to check around and see about more hair friendly clips and clamps, maybe there are some better to use than the metal.

HintOfMint
October 15th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I love Marcel waves, too. That would be great if you could find that tutorial for rollers, the only way I know how to do it is with the long aluminum wave clips, and the metal scrunching the hair seems like a set-up for breakage, so I definitely limit my use. Any pics of that Marcel roller set would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of just going to bsl this time around, and maintaining it there so I can continue my occasional guilty pleasure pin curls but also do my sock and ballerina buns. I am going to check around and see about more hair friendly clips and clamps, maybe there are some better to use than the metal.

Please post the video on Marcel waves! I'm very curious.

Vermelha
October 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM

Yeah, I'm finding that BSL is a good length for sets. MBL, perhaps, but I could see longer hair being hard to roll regularly.

I did find the roller set tutorial. It's called a piggyback...it gives that classic, full, wavy, sleek look...it's very pretty. It's not the clipped Marcel look, but I've seen people do the Marcel curlers and make their hair look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17a7OrcTz2k

That's a WHOLE lot of rollers. I'll give it a try, since my hair air dries pretty quickly. I'll tell you how it comes out. I can't wash until Sunday.

CurlyCyndi
March 8th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I just did my first heatless roller set. I bought the revlon ionic hairsetter (hot rollers) but am using them without heat. I also have 2/c 3a curls but and use the roller sets to straighten my hair. My mom did this to me often when I was a child. My hair is BSL and have a feeling I'll have to buy a bigger set when i get to my goal WL.

I have never wrapped my hair but I think I will plan on learning. I have never heard of setting lotion. What is it?

UltraBella
March 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks to UltraBella, I was inspired to try a couple different curling techniques. No heat for either one. I just use damp hair and end up with a spiral type curl each time. Thank you UltaBella!!! I am having a blast with my new curls. Let me say, they require plenty of time so no damage is done to hair. Mine is very fine and I must take my time, but it is so worth it!!!

Awwww, thanks !! Glad it is working for you !
I mainly use my Caruso steam rollers or the Conair no heat spiral curlers. I probably reach for my Caruso 95% of the time though. I just can't get the knack for sleeping with something in my hair overnight.

sweet&sourkiwi
March 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Yes! I sometimes put my almost-dry hair in big velcros. I have so little hair it only takes 5 minutes...no product needed, it just gives it a nice oomphy, "done" volumunized smooth look.

My hair used to have a lot of natural slip so the rollers weren't pulling hair out...but now that I'm having some weak/dry issues I can't do this, it breaks too many hairs. :( When I'm healthy I will go back to it!

missoj
February 17th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I know this thread is kind of old, but I'd rather write in here than start a new one.
My mom always used to roll in my hair when I was younger, but when I got to high school I started blow drying my hair. In January this year I noticed that my blow dryer was over heating and began frying my hair. I'm not keen on buying a new one now, unless I can find a good one on sale, because the hair dryer I had been 2 years old, but I only used it about twice a week. My other dryers lasted me longer than this, (my first last me through high school).
So I began rolling in my hair again with those large orange plastic rollers. My mom does it for me, because I tried before I taking them out was a nightmare (it was very tangled). I first make sure that my hair is properly detangled before I let her, and she does it when my hair is very wet and saturated. I don't use any products in it, but a few times I dried my hair under a hood dryer, but for the most part I'd wash my hair early in the day and let it air dry. I like it because I don't have to use heat and my ends are heat damaged. Normally once dry I would brush it out, and wrap it with cut off pantyhose (its called swirling here in South Africa) and after some time I would wrap it to the other side. Initially my hair would be straight but less than 30 minutes later my hair would be in lovely waves, similar to vintage styled waves. Rarely I would comb it out and embrace the curls.
I'm going to continue rolling in my hair as long as possible, my mom complains about doing it on my length (my hair isn't even that long), but she does it none-the-less, partially because she also prefers me having my hair rolled in, and she wants me to stop using a flat-iron. :D :cool: ;)
Over the past two months I only blew my hair out about twice, used a curling iron once and didn't use a flat-iron at all, which is an achievement for me, so as long as I can have my hair rolled in, the longer I can stay away from heat :)