PDA

View Full Version : Lint

akka naeda
October 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I've said before that I have a very itchy scalp, and people have suggested various ways to deal with it. Once again it's got bad, and as usual I think it's lice (DD hasn't had lice for ages now she's at the big school, but that doesn't stop me thinking I might have got them somehow). So I just combed my hair and found nothing, but just to be on the safe side I also used a silicone louse "shampoo" - basically it coats the hair and any lice in silicone and kills them and the eggs, and then you comb them out and wash the stuff out of your hair. I figure it's no worse than using cones in shampoo or conditioner. No lice, but masses of lint.

So, can lint make your scalp itch?

Flaxen
October 12th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Herbal residue on my scalp can make it itch, so I don't see why lint couldn't do it, too.

picklepie
October 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Do you have new carpet generating the lint? Is it possible that there are chemicals in the fiber giving you a reaction? Just throwing that out there, as I have reacted in various ways to new carpet in the past.

excentricat
October 12th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I've always been extremely prone to psychosomatic itches. If I believe it might itch, it does. Even if I haven't actually touched it. Could you be having this problem with your scalp?

XcaliburGirl
October 13th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I guess if you have lint, you could have had some other type of build-up.

I noticed when I washed with Dr. Bronner's and aloe that it would sometimes cause my hair to get linty because of the texture it created. I'm not sure if that's relevant to your question, though.

I have an itchy scalp too. The best thing for me seems to be scrubbing every wash, not drying it out, and not putting 'cones or thick conditioner on it. Sometimes it just itches anyway, though.

trolleypup
October 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM
So, can lint make your scalp itch?
Product residue makes my scalp itch and get angry and build-up-y. Some people have been know to get itchy scalp from washing too thoroughly or not enough. Vinegar rinses help some people with the itchies...and make it worse for others.

My hair care regime is based more on what keeps my scalp happy than on what makes my hair look its best...because I just don't want to go back to snowstorm+buildup+itchies.

Good luck figuring out what your scalp likes or dislikes!

akka naeda
October 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM
OK. Thanks.....
I don't know what's causing the lint, seems to be dark blue, I don't wear dark blue tops.
Definitely getting conditioner on my scalp makes it worse so I avoid that, I'm wondering if the vinegar rinses make it better/lessen it. I haven't really thought about their effect on my scalp, more about the effect on my hair (good) and I've run out and keep forgetting to buy any more.
I can't use soap on my skin because it gets dry and cracked - doesn't feel itchy, just tight and nasty, but shampoo has never seemed to have the same effect on my scalp. Perhaps it does though, in which case I'm definitely going to need to reconsider herbal washing.

A sugar scrub wouldn't help would it? I remember seeing a thread about it, so I'll go looking for that. I've just always had the idea that it'd impossible to get out particularly with hair like mine, but it's what I have to use on my skin.

bumblebums
October 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM
OK. Thanks.....
I don't know what's causing the lint, seems to be dark blue, I don't wear dark blue tops.
Definitely getting conditioner on my scalp makes it worse so I avoid that, I'm wondering if the vinegar rinses make it better/lessen it. I haven't really thought about their effect on my scalp, more about the effect on my hair (good) and I've run out and keep forgetting to buy any more.
I can't use soap on my skin because it gets dry and cracked - doesn't feel itchy, just tight and nasty, but shampoo has never seemed to have the same effect on my scalp. Perhaps it does though, in which case I'm definitely going to need to reconsider herbal washing.

A sugar scrub wouldn't help would it? I remember seeing a thread about it, so I'll go looking for that. I've just always had the idea that it'd impossible to get out particularly with hair like mine, but it's what I have to use on my skin.

People do use sugar scrubs for itching and dandruff. As long as your first rinse is with warm water, the sugar will dissolve and rinse out without a problem.

Have you tried a simple white vinegar rinse? That usually takes care of it for me.

I noticed, by the way, that my scalp is sometimes itchy in the morning, but if I use the power of the mind over body and do not give in to the temptation to scratch, it goes away in 30 min or so. The less I scratch, the less it itches.